[ADWD SPOILERS] Daenerys 7

Xray the Enforcer

Barriston mentioned that Aerys did something during the bedding....that's when they carry the maiden up the stairs and strip her clothes off right? maybe he copped a feel?

I hope not, for Joanna's sake - Aerys has super long fingernails (they curved they were so long). Yuck.

I'm struggling my way through all Dany's chapters if I'm totally honest. I have liked her in the past and found her story interesting up until this point. It is like she's dissolved into an immature and arrogant little girl rather than evolving in to an adept ruler she was promising to be in the previous novels, but perhaps that is the point? The romantic in me feels a little sorry for her about Daario, the beginning of this chapter made me feel a little ache for her, he clearly has the upper-hand in the relationship and is going to betray her. I can't warm to him either, one minute I think okay he's real and the next I think it my thoughts are dashed by some cliche, smarmy chat-up line or egotistical remark. We all like a bad-boy but really? Daario is reads a little try-hard by Martin and I can't sympathize with Dany at all.

Another thing, if Aery's did do anything to joanna, it was on their wedding night according to Barristan. Tyrion is the youngest Lannister and therefore the last to be conceived, so I doubt he is a Targ and would be miffed if he was. I think like others have said, it was the first seed that made Tywin resent his king.

Dany seems to be getting more stupid by the chapter. Not that I dislike reading them. Plenty of interesting information has been revealed through her POVs, but she's just a poor Queen.

I agree with what basically everyone else has stated in this chapter about her. I can't believe she turned down Quentyn who could have provided the support of Dorne for some royal from Meereen. Meereen doesn't even matter, her people are in Westeros. At this point I'm really hoping GRRM kills Dany off before she ever sets foot in Westeros. Let Aegon bring Targaryen rule back to the iron throne.

Dany has lost all perspective in the last couple of chapters. I can forgive her being a clumsy but good-hearted, well-intentioned ruler, even after the brilliance of her campaign that brought her to Mereen. But letting her children starve to death outside the city gates while she ignores her duties at court to while away the days with a swaggering douchebucket like Daario... And then, clinging to the complete fantasy that this marriage will bring peace to Slaver's Bay, ON TOP OF turning down an army she wouldn't even have to transport to Westeros BECAUSE IT'S IN WESTEROS ALREADY???

I just -- it pains me.

And lets not forget ignoring the dragons, the obviousness of the Green Grace being the harpy -- helloooo, Dany? Harpies are what sex? Female! You don't think they just named their group that because of Ghis, do you?

But whatevs. You win some, you lose some. Dorne will get its Targaryen soon enough in the form of Aegon (along with a probable greyscale plague) when he shows up with the Golden Company. The Dance With Dragons will be Targaryen against Targaryen for the Iron Throne at this rate. If Dany ever gets to Westeros, that is.

I've seriously started to hate the Dragonslut throughout this chapter and her last one.

Seriously? Daario? I can't name a single good quality about him. That's like running off with a wife-beater wearing, nascar loving, rebel flag toting, pit stained piece of stereotypical trailer trash.

She's also making absolutely terrible decisions. She was supposed to use Meereen as a testing ground, to learn the ins and outs of ruling before she journeyed to Westeros to claim her throne. And she's seriously going to marry this Ghiscari chap for the sake of Meereen, and totally screw herself over when it comes to Westeros? She does not know how politics are played there. I mean, she goes and brushes Quentyn off (disappointingly plain as he is) and then has the gall to tell him that someday she's going to need his support to conquer Westeros. Look, that kind of royal snub has been MORE than enough grounds in the past to withdraw one's support.

And her arrogance! "I'm the dragon therefore I can't get sick." And what happens if you're wrong, you impulsive fool? What happens if you get the bloody flux and die? Is that going to save your precious children (whom you eventually lock the gates on anyways)?

I didn't want her on the iron throne before I started reading this book, and I would throw the book at the wall if it happens now.

At the very least, though, you can't claim she's a Mary Sue anymore.

...which is also something GRRM managed to fix with Jon, in a less revolting manner.

You captured my thoughts, although I wouldn't have been so harsh. :) It seems like for all the prophecies and everything pointing to Dany becoming the queen of Westeros, she simply doesn't have it in her. She's still too good, she sees everyone as her children, she would literally die for her subjects. She wants good for everyone, she wants to change and save the world, yet the world can't be changed that quickly! She's been a leader (in one way or another) for quite some time now, and she still hasn't manned up. Will she ever? We're coming close to the end of the series, so I'm starting to doubt it.

A tender heart does not a good ruler make, Yoda would say.

Out of the main characters, and based on this book, I think Jon would definitely be the most appropriate to rule. He's grown up A LOT. He's good, but not to the point of it clouding his judgement like Dany.

I swear if she's still stuck in Mereen by books end I will kill a baby. The pace is killing me. And yes Tyrion can't be Aerys son, bc that was on the wedding night, before even Jaime was born. Wouldn't Aerys been in his early twenties? It's been known that he showed promise early in his reign.

Crazy theory time.

Missandei is one of the Children of the Forest.

Your Grace needs more than wine to break her fast. You are such a tiny thing, and you wil surely need your strength today.

That made Daenerys laugh, coming from a girl so small. She relied so much on the little scribe that she oft forgot that Missandei had only turned eleven. They shared the food together on her terrace. As Dany nibbled on an olive, the Naathi girl gazed at her with eyes like molten gold

Following is from Bran 1-3, so if you're not reading in order for some reason, don't click the spoiler.

From earlier Bran PoV chapters we know that the Children usually have golden eyes and we can establish that they, physically, are on size with Arya. Who is around eleven years old. Also, the one they first encounter suggest that they can at least somewhat change their appearance to blend in with humans and do so from time to time.

Nothing else to really connect it and it's pretty crack. But hey, crack theories are fun. And who is to say the Children didn't sense the birth of dragons and try to find someone to track them down, as they will be needed in the fight with the Others?

Crazy theory time.

Missandei is one of the Children of the Forest.

Following is from Bran 1-3, so if you're not reading in order for some reason, don't click the spoiler.

From earlier Bran PoV chapters we know that the Children usually have golden eyes and we can establish that they, physically, are on size with Arya. Who is around eleven years old. Also, the one they first encounter suggest that they can at least somewhat change their appearance to blend in with humans and do so from time to time.

Nothing else to really connect it and it's pretty crack. But hey, crack theories are fun. And who is to say the Children didn't sense the birth of dragons and try to find someone to track them down, as they will be needed in the fight with the Others?

Great theory. :)

Agree with pretty much everyone here, Dany seems to be heading for a massive fall- surely it's only a matter of time before this fantasy world crashes down around her! When it does it would be wonderful for Quentyn to be her salvation of some sort, or at least point out the pretty blatant Harpy threats all around her, which is very fairytale but necessary at this point; I just want something, anything to happen that's a catalyst for setting off to Westeros. Completely fed up of Meereen!

I think the interesting part in this chapter is that it confirms my suspicions that Tyrions is Aerys son. Please don't be so narrow minded people - just because ser Barristan mentioned that Aerys did something during Tywin's marriage night, doesn't mean that he wouldn't try and do something else. The hints have already been strong by this point that Tyrion could have been a Targaryen bastard, this seals it by letting us know that Aerys was infatuated with Joanna.

Otherwise - this to be a different Dany than the one we meet in the first 3 books. Worse than all - she can't be bothered to go to court, because she doesn't feel like it? Since when did she turn to such a spoiled brat.

I’ll add my pet theory that I've had since AFFC…everyone seems to think that Tyrion is the lovechild of Aerys and Joanna, however, I think it is Jamie and Cersei. I think this hammered at Tywin’s pride…seeing his perfect twins and knowing that they were sired by the mad king whilst his own brood turned out to be a stunted dwarf and his resentment at Tyrion stems from that rather than from Tyrion being born of an affair between his wife and the king. He certainly would have arranged for an accident to happen to Tyrion after Aerys died if he was the result of Aerys and Joanna. But to admit Jamie and Cersei were not his would only further disgrace his honor.

Here’s where I first started thinking this:

From AFFC, Jamie 5

“She(Genna Lannister) smiled. “How could I not love him, after that? That is not to say that I approved of all he did, or much enjoyed the company of the man that he became . . . but every little girl needs a big brother to protect her. Tywin was big even when he was little.” She gave a sigh. “Who will protect us now?”

Jaime kissed her cheek. “He left a son.”

“Aye, he did. That is what I fear the most, in truth.”

That was a queer remark. “Why should you fear?”

“Jaime,” she said, tugging on his ear, “sweetling, I have known you since you were a babe at Joanna’s breast. You smile like Gerion and fight like Tyg, and there’s some of Kevan in you, else you would not wear that cloak . . . but Tyrion is Tywin’s son, not you. I said so once to your father’s face, and he would not speak to me for half a year.”

And from ADWD, Daenerys 7

“When she and Twyin wed, your father drank too much wine at the wedding feast and was heard to say that it was a great pity that the lord’s right to the first night had been abolished. A drunken jape, no more, but Tywin Lannister was not a man to forget such words, or the…the liberties your father took during the bedding.”

Is this too crazy of a theory?

I too say Jaime and Cersei, if anyone. Tyrion is too much like Tywin.

Cersei inherited the Targ madness and the incest kink. And look at Joff! A true grandchild of Aerys if there was any.

Poor Joanna.

But! If the twins were Aerys's and he knew, why wouldn't he want Cersei for Rhaegar? And holy f---, if it's true Jaime killed his father! :thumbsup:

But! If the twins were Aerys's and he knew, why wouldn't he want Cersei for Rhaegar? And holy f---, if it's true Jaime killed his father! :thumbsup:

Just like Tyrion!

I like this theory better than the Tyrion Targaryen one.

About the chapter? I have nothing to add except that I am sincerely disliking both Daenerys as a character and her chapters as a book. I am quite disappointed in this.

At least we have Bran, Theon and Jon's chapters to save the book.

Archived