[ADWD SPOILERS] Daenerys 9

Xray the Enforcer

Wait...what?

first she's keeping the other two chained up, now she's WHIPPING Drogon into submission and people are happy with this? Whipping? her child?

Dany is going to a very special hell.

I really feel the same way about her chapters in this book that I felt about Ned's in GoT...

stupid mistake...stupid mistake...stupid mistake..

and what was up with Tyrion not making a play to the crowd and the absence of Jorah? This chapter went more wrong than her wedding did.

So happy to see Drogon back... not too thrilled with her treatment of him, but hey, at least it was some action and for that, I'm thankful!

I, too, wanted to see Tyrion play to the crowds, or the queen... hope his character isn't softening permanently :(

Like many others are saying, it *almost* makes up for the snoozefest of Dany prior to this. Hope this starts some great action in her arch.

I knew people would wonder about animal cruelty!

I think the idea is that dragons are wilder and fiercer than any animal in our world, and they respond to strength, and interact fairly violently.

Not me. I'm not an anti-animal cruelty fanatic. I mean, I'm not a supporter either but crimes against humans are worse. I had Michael Vick on my fantasy football team last year. And I laughed at the "hot dog" vendors earlier in the chapter. Puppies on a stick!

My problem with Dany's treatment of the dragons is that she kept referring to them as her children, and then at the first hint of trouble (what was she expecting?) she locks them up. Although we already know that doing so would stunt their growth, and their growth is her main source of power.

Then Drogon shows up, and she whips him into submission. It seems to have worked (I havent read another Dany chapter yet) but usually with animals you get what you give. Drogon will learn to be MORE vicious than ever before.

So I'm definitely not looking at it from a PETA "think of the dragons" viewpoint. Just from a, gee, I already thought Dany was crazier than Aerys and as dumb as Cersei BEFORE this book. And now she's acting the total fool.

(Which probably means that in the next 250 pages, she'll do a complete 180 ad be sane, just and wise.)

Also, I really need to read Tyrion's next chapter to see his explanation for why he didn't play to the crowd.

The Dragon was gonna turn her into a shish ka bob. She had to assert her dominance on the dragon, and show him who was boss. Using the whip was the ONLY way of doing that. How else was she gonna get him to stop killing. Use a balled up newspaper? Drogon isn't a Cocker Spaniel. He's a fucking dragon!!!

I knew people would wonder about animal cruelty!

I think the idea is that dragons are wilder and fiercer than any animal in our world, and they respond to strength, and interact fairly violently.

I don't think they necessarily need to be wilder and fiercer than animals in our world, the important part is that they're not domesticated. Plus, according to Tyrion, dragonhide is tough enough to turn aside blows from swords and spears- I very much doubt Dany caused him any pain with that whip.

Just like dogs need a master, so must dragons - it seems. I'm not mad at Dany - what was she supposed to do? Scowl him? Put him in time-out? He's a dragon! He'll be fine. As long as she doesn't abuse it, I'm fine with it.

I hope she goes and frees Viserion and Rhaegal...no way they are going to be safe in their prison now that Drogon terrified the most important people in Meereen.

And wtf with Hizadarwhatever la Loraq!! "Kill them"?????

Like the poster above I also raised my fist. Got very excited with this, best Daenerys chapter since early ASOS.

Anyone know what was happening with Strong Belwas? Was he just choking on some food, or was there something poisonous in those delicious locusts?

Boring chapter up until the last part. Some impressions:

- Why do people seem so horrified that Drogon was eating the corpse? Wasn't the boar doing the same?

- Strong Belwas retching seemed wrong.

- Both Quentyn and Tyrion were present at the pits. With Aegon away, it seems like they would be the other 2 heads?

If Belwas was poisoned by the locust, that might imply that Dany's husband was trying to poison her too since he encouraged her to eat them...unless he didn't know about it, but that's unlikely. Hmmm. Treason for love?

I dont think it was poison. Poison kills, it doesn't cause you to vomit. Or if it did, it'd be weak poison, that is not strong enough to kill. Honestly tho if it was poison, the harpies are dumbasses. It'd be more convincing if it involved the tears of lys. Secondly they know her diet by now. I'm just astounded by the stupidity of the slaver cities. Almost caricatures. If she used dragons instead of chaining them up, she'd burn them to hell. Tyrion is clever, he's got something planned, trust me. No one will believe a slave, not even Tyrion. He's bidding his time. Also does anyone know where jogos nhais is? One of the pit fighters was mentioned to be from there

Archived