[ADWD SPOILERS] Daenerys 9

Xray the Enforcer

Man, how epic would it be of Tyrion got to ride one of the other two. I dunno if they'd accept anyone without Targ blood (I've heard the theory and do not buy into it), but man...he could kill his sweet sister in an epic way.

(Assuming she wont get killed after her trial.)

Though he already owes Dany his life, getting one of her dragons might be a bit much.

wow great chapter!!

been lurking a while but had to register after that, hi all!

GRRM built the tension up really nicely here, you just knew something wild was about to happen.

it seemed to me that Belwas was poisoned too and I noted that it was Hizdahr who had prepared the food and drink and was trying his best to get Dany to eat some.

didn't she drink some sweetwater too?

this Hizdahr guy is very dodgy indeed.

I was finding the Dany chapters very boring up to this point too, so it's great to finally see some real action in her arc.

I find it weird that people are upset about Dany whipping the dragon, didn't he also have a spear shoved through the back of his neck?

also let's not forget this was at the fighting pits where people (and the poor boar!) were dying horrible deaths.

I agree that it seemed Belwas was eating poisoned locust, he doesn't seem the throwing-up type. One thing that also stood out was how much Hizdahr started protesting when Dany was about to leave the pit. He was trying really hard to get Dany to stay...until Drogon showed up!! Aaah, still in a euphoria from that ending :) But what did Hizdhar have planned? Maybe with Belwas out of the way (one less bodyguard), Hizdahr was planning/hoping for Dany to get killed by a pit-fighter or something...

Wooooo hooooo!!!! Finally...DRAGON ACTION!!!!!

Like some have said, this ALMOST makes up for the slow pace of Dany's story so far. But I get it. The knot. Timelines...

Okay, this is what i think:

-The dragons are wild beasts and if they are to be ridden and tamed, you need a whip. Stop with the animal cruelty. Sheesh. She wasn't killing Drogon or even hurting him. Just showing strength so he would accept her and realize who the master is. She needs to be strong to own dragons!

-Dany was supposed to be poisoned by the locusts or killed during the last few battles (errant spear throw or something). Belwas is way bigger and stronger so he is not dead from the locusts...yet. I fear for the big guy. I think he's a dead man. But her husband wanted her to stay for all of the fights. Why? Something was going to happen if the poison did not work. Betrayal for power/gold?

-I really thought Tyrion was going to get eaten by a lion. Too funny. I can't wait for his next chapter!

-I pray Dany now releases all of her dragons and starts to burn down the slave trade outside the walls and the fleets in the bay.

-I know Victarion is on his way but where do you think that Maester from Old Town is? Still on his way or do you think he is there already and in disguise? Going by the timeline, I am thinking he should still be on his way there since he left long after Quentyn Martell left.

-I hope Quentyn and Dany get together. She needs him big time if she is going to invade Westeros. Dorne is a super power. I hope her current husband gets all nice and crisped by some dragon flame.

I thought I would now take this moment to speculate on some Dany prophecy stuff.

3 mounts will you ride one to bed one to dread one to love.

(riding silver to her wedding knight, corpse in ship, blue flower in the wall).

Another way to see it is that the mounts are not men she sleeps with as we almost all assumed? Instead, It could be that her mounts are Silver, Drogon, and ????? and sex has nothing to do with it?

Good analysis! I was thinking of something similar, but more in terms of types/species of mounts: she rides humans to bed, dragons to dread and something else, maybe a ship to Westeros, where she'll find love?

It would be amusing if GRRM played with our prurient interests on this one and went with something nonsexual. Ah, prophecies...

3 treasons will you know one for blood one for gold and one for love.

In this chapter, Dany interprets the three traitors to be Mirri maz duur, Jorah and Brown Ben Plumm. But which does she think is which? MMD = blood for sure. Brown Ben = ??? (in their conversation, Brown Ben even says "money isn't everything" but I don't know if love really applies either, or if he counts as the traitor). And I still think Jorah doesn't fit since his betrayal was well before the prophecy which says "treasons will you know." Dany seems to have interpreted his betrayal as the "for love" one which really makes no sense. He loves her adn he betrayed her but he didn't betray her for love.

I admit to being a softie when it comes to Jorah (ah, unrequited, loyal love!), but I've been doubting his inclusion as well. She sure thinks/talks about it a lot, so much so that it smells like misdirection a la Greek tragedies where the hero, acting from hubris, tries to avert his fate.

What if SHE betrays someone for love? DUN DUN DUUUUN...

The moment the shadow fell on Hizdar's face, I knew everything but the details. Drogon has returned. And the tables are about to be turned on these bloody slavers. But Dany riding Drogon at last was the icing on the cake. Now can we burn this damned bay to the ground and head for Westeros please?

And now the fun begins! :) I agree that Strong Belwas does appear to have been poisoned; a lesser intestine would probably have died from the poison by now! Belwas being Belwas will probably end up gravely ill but recover sufficiently to take down a 100 or so of the Slavers.

Dany's new husband is a nasty piece of work, that's for sure. But then she always had a weird taste in men; far too superficial and almost childish and Sansa-like!

Yay dragon riding. Almost makes up for Dany’s behaviour for most of the book up to now. And I was quite pleased at how real GRRM made it seem. Not an easy thing to do!

Ahh and the scenes in the fighting pits were gruesome. That part with the boar almost had me faring like Strong Belwas.

Man, I really don't want to sound too downbeat but I didn't enjoy this chapter that much...

As someone else before me said, most of the chapter leading up to the dragon moment was rather boring. OK, there are some fights, but we've seen lots of fights in the novels and this one includes people we hear about for the first time and in whom we do not have any emotional investment (bar the Tyrion/lion bit).

And then Drogon... I mean, we all knew this was coming, but come on, it IS a rather cheesy moment. I'm glad that GRRM at least didn't make it happen with a whisper and a smile from Dany, but just climbing on his back and off she goes? A bit too smooth. And though this is fantasy, I always envisioned the "dragon riding" stuff to be quite hard, using special saddles and perhaps year long training from both the dragons' and the riders' sides. I mean, we have a hulking beast here which probably generates ten times the raw power of any living animal on earth, and a small flimsy human just climbs on its back and manages to not fall of during the first twitch of the dragon's wing muscles? There's a lot suspension of disbelief necessary for that... <_<

All in all, of course I'm glad that the sluggish Dany storyline seems to be moving on now, but I didn't really like the execution.

I agree with most, I am glad that finally Dany's storyline is taking up some pace. That was a glimpse of the Dany we know from ASOS. Although I agree the dragonriding went surprisingly smooth, especially with such a wild dragon like Drogon, but we will see how good the dragonriding is really working. Since Dany mentioned that the dragons choose/accept their riders (and not forced), I wonder what will be up with Aegon. As he was revealed I was really sure he would be one of the 3 riders, but now with the remaining dragons chained up in Meereen...

I just bit into my desk as I realized that the black flame which should come to Dany in Quaithe's prophecy turned out to be Drogon, witht he Golden Company around I really thought there might be a Blackfyre or something similar. Although I couldn't remember Drogon can spit black fire. There we have the dragon from this vision in the Undying house.

So Belwas poisoned? I didn't really got it, but it makes sense, I never trusted Hizdahr anyway. And man, fighting boars in GRRM's world is a really dangerous thing.

Oh, and Barristan's "Me! Try me. Over here. Me!" was awesome. His byname The Bold really doesn't come out of nowhere.

So wait, am I getting this right? People are upset she whipped Drogon into submission?

Aye, she refers to the dragons as her children. And she's called Mother of Dragons. What do you do when your child is being extremely bad? When he simply doesn't take "no" for an answer and speaking to him just work because HE'S TRYING TO EAT YOU? You just wave your finger in his face and say "tut tut, you're being a bad boy. Let us discuss this mannerism over a cup of tea." Or you might spank the kid. Or something like that.

But then: You don't spank a dragon, I don't think Drogon would even notice if she did try spanking him. No. You whip him and you whip him good. Teaches him not to do stupid shit like that again.

And don't give me any crap about how cruel and morally wrong it is to spank/beat a child. We're reading a book that is based on medieval world. I don't think they had any problems with slapping and beating your children if they were acting stupid.

Lol, Exactly. Thank you.

So wait, am I getting this right? People are upset she whipped Drogon into submission?

Aye, she refers to the dragons as her children. And she's called Mother of Dragons. What do you do when your child is being extremely bad? When he simply doesn't take "no" for an answer and speaking to him just work because HE'S TRYING TO EAT YOU? You just wave your finger in his face and say "tut tut, you're being a bad boy. Let us discuss this mannerism over a cup of tea." Or you might spank the kid. Or something like that.

But then: You don't spank a dragon, I don't think Drogon would even notice if she did try spanking him. No. You whip him and you whip him good. Teaches him not to do stupid shit like that again.

And don't give me any crap about how cruel and morally wrong it is to spank/beat a child. We're reading a book that is based on medieval world. I don't think they had any problems with slapping and beating your children if they were acting stupid.

I think a lot of us had more problem with the fact that she chained up her other 2 children, and hardly spent any time with them, then the fact that she whipped this one.

GH

Dany's new husband is a nasty piece of work, that's for sure. But then she always had a weird taste in men; far too superficial and almost childish and Sansa-like!

What? She's disgusted by Hizdar. Marrying him had nothing to do with "her taste in men". What were you even reading...?

IA she has weird taste in men because Daario :stillsick: but the above statement makes no sense.

Drogon!! That was freaking awesome. I just wished he crisped up more of the sadistic freaks watching the pit slaughters. They wanted a show and Drogon gave it to them.

I was holdinbg my breath when that jerk said they were going to release 3 lions on Tyrion and Penny. So glad Dany put her foot down on that one.

I hope Dany is able to control Drogon so she can lay waste to all these slavers and enemies she has and she can finally get Mereen sorted out so she can head to Westeros.

I'm really interested to see what she does next. It seems most likely she can't stay in Mereen now after this, but how will she get her other two dragons out of there?

I agree with all who think there was poison in those locusts and it seemed strange that he was insisting and begging for her to stay for just one more match. I think he was planning her demise right there and maybe Drogon, ala the direwolves, knew and showed up to mess that up. (Although his not recognizing her at first and needing to be whipped into submission might make that implausible.)

I was hoping we'd see Jorah and she'd free him. :(

Archived