[ADWD SPOILERS] Daenerys 9

Xray the Enforcer

This chapter had me in tears. I started bawlin' my poor head off the moment Dany entered the pit.

Ahh. I had to take a break from the book.

YANA. That was amazing!

I didn't feel the rest of the chapter was boring either. I was anxious the whole time and especially when Dany's litter stopped and when Belwas started to feel sick and when she started taking off the stupid Meereenese clothes.. My heart leaped when the dwarfs were mentioned too because I thought the guy who bought them would make them fight against each other with real weapons or put them against someone actually dangerous and whatever happened, I expected Penny to end up dead. I'm so glad Dany saved them.

I have not seen this mentioned, but didn't Dany get a way out of her bad marriage to Hizzouse when he ordered Drogon killed? Drogon is her child after all (and his step-child lol). Something tells me hizz days are numbered. Generally trying to kill the children of your wife is a bad idea.

There was definitely something sinister in the works this chapter, which would have ended badly for Dany if it were not for Drogon coming home. Barristan was nervous, especially when the train got held up on the way to the pits. I know he's always pretty worried about things, but this seemed different. Belwas up-chucking also seems not right - a dude that fat should not be losing it over some locusts. I hope the big guy just caught the flu and will be OK. "Strong Belwas needs milk."

Barristan solidified his reputation as the ultimate honorable bad-ass by jumping into the pit and trying to get Drogon's attention away from Dany. He likely would have died if Drogon took the bait. Hopefully Dany sees what he did for her there.

Finally, probably my favorite lines from the chapter -

"Belaquo will win," Irri declared. "It is known"

"It is not known," Jhiqui said. "Belaquo will die."

The Dorthraki girls will be mega-bummed if Dany gets rid of the pits again, it is known....

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome! Finally! Though, I thought it would have been cool if Tyrion would have run out to help her in some way there by forming a connection with her. But I love how Danny’s chapters have these moments of ecstasy. Like when she freed the Unsullied (I’m listening to the audio so I’m not sure how to spell…) or when the dragons were born…it makes for some of the greatest climaxes I’ve ever read/heard in fatasy lit.

Was SOOO excited to read about her FINALLY riding her dragon, and that it was Drogon. I've been upset about her decision to keep the other two in chains in the pit but when I try to think of my own solution, I really don't come up with one. They're unruly, dangerous, she cannot control them. I do think that she should've spent more time with them and trained them in the pits, not just visit them when she was showing them off then walk away thinking, "my poor children, they miss me".

And I was really hoping she wouldn't go through with the marriage but unless she lands Drogon in the pits, hops off and runs to the pyramid for a quick consummation, I guess it doesn't really matter.

Does anyone know why Drogon is red in the tv show rather than black? Maybe black baby dragons are born red and grow to black?

• 2 weeks later...

-I hope Quentyn and Dany get together. She needs him big time if she is going to invade Westeros. Dorne is a super power. I hope her current husband gets all nice and crisped by some dragon flame.

Dorne is not a super power. We get this info from 'The Princess in the Tower' chapter from AFfC. Doran tells his daughter that the Young Dragon exaggerated Dorne's strength upon his conquest so it'd make him look stronger. Dorne apparently has the least amount of soldiers.

Dany wipping her dragon was definitely wrong as everyone knows the only way to train your dragon is to

YELL AT IT

thanks Professor Yobbish wink.gif

No, everyone knows to make a dragon submit, you tickle at a special spot behind the ears. Then the dragon licks you and flips over on his back with his claws up waiting eagerly for the next step.

I agree that it seemed Belwas was eating poisoned locust, he doesn't seem the throwing-up type. One thing that also stood out was how much Hizdahr started protesting when Dany was about to leave the pit. He was trying really hard to get Dany to stay...until Drogon showed up!! Aaah, still in a euphoria from that ending smile.gif But what did Hizdhar have planned? Maybe with Belwas out of the way (one less bodyguard), Hizdahr was planning/hoping for Dany to get killed by a pit-fighter or something...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this...

-The dragons are wild beasts and if they are to be ridden and tamed, you need a whip. Stop with the animal cruelty. Sheesh. She wasn't killing Drogon or even hurting him. Just showing strength so he would accept her and realize who the master is. She needs to be strong to own dragons!

-Dany was supposed to be poisoned by the locusts or killed during the last few battles (errant spear throw or something). Belwas is way bigger and stronger so he is not dead from the locusts...yet. I fear for the big guy. I think he's a dead man. But her husband wanted her to stay for all of the fights. Why? Something was going to happen if the poison did not work. Betrayal for power/gold?

RE: the whip... could not agree more. It's a 20' wide flame throwing wild beast. Taming/training it is not going to be easy or gentle.

Interesting theory on the betrayals, but Drogon put an end to it so I doubt this one will come to fruition.

Dany wipping her dragon was definitely wrong as everyone knows the only way to train your dragon is to

YELL AT IT

thanks Professor Yobbish wink.gif

:rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Cool to see Drogon back, and 20 feet wide. It's interesting that we heard in the previous chapter that a person can only ever ride one dragon. It looks like she and Drogon are a match now, so we know for certain that Rhaegal and Viserion will bear someone else.

Candidates?

Ones with Targaryen blood:

Quentyn

Aegon

Jon

Ones without it who seem strong candidates:

Tyrion ( could even be a Targ)- very interested in dragons all his life, and now around them.

Euron- Has a dragonhorn, but is it for real, and does such a thing even work?

Bran- his extraordinary warging skills mean he may be a rider, possibly a rider without actually sitting on top of one.

Well, Bran was told that although he would never walk again, he would FLY. I've thought that meant warging into birds, though, and still think so. But who knows.

-I know Victarion is on his way but where do you think that Maester from Old Town is? Still on his way or do you think he is there already and in disguise? Going by the timeline, I am thinking he should still be on his way there since he left long after Quentyn Martell left.

I just bit into my desk as I realized that the black flame which should come to Dany in Quaithe's prophecy turned out to be Drogon, witht he Golden Company around I really thought there might be a Blackfyre or something similar. Although I couldn't remember Drogon can spit black fire. There we have the dragon from this vision in the Undying house.

What if the maester from the Citadel has to do with the black flame prophecy? He was the guy with the obsidian candle, right?

And I was really hoping she wouldn't go through with the marriage but unless she lands Drogon in the pits, hops off and runs to the pyramid for a quick consummation, I guess it doesn't really matter.

The marriage has been consummated. Dany said she just lies there and lets Hizdhar do his thing, instead of actively participating like she did with Drogo and Daario.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There were so many things that came to fruition in this chapter that it is hard to digest it all!

I thought this chapter evoked quite a roller coaster ride of emotions, from Tyrion being saved from a fight with lions to Drogon's reappearance in Meereen. I thought it was interesting that Drogon seems to be everywhere Tyrion is after the farmer's baby was charred to a crisp way back at the beginning of the book. This is probably just coincidence though.

I think Daenerys controlled Drogon in the most practical way possible. For the few readers who found it unrealistic, well, I cannot help but chuckle to myself a little bit given the genre of book we are reading. Although I will say that it makes perfect sense for a Targaryen to have a natural aptitude for dragon taming.

In hindsight, I think Daenerys is also very fortunate for the way events unfolded regarding her dragons. She has undoubtedly just become the rider of the strongest and fiercest dragon as Drogon was the only one of the three which was not chained and caged. I think this is very fitting given Drogon's allusions to both Dany's khal husband and Balerion the Black Dread. Even though Viscerion and Rhaegal may ultimately suffer from her treatment, Dany has Drogon, and I think most readers expected this to happen.

All that and I still have not gotten to most of the other juicy material that played out in this chapter. I want to refrain from posting a wall of text, so I will stop with my thoughts on the dragons, which are obviously the namesake (at least in a literal sense) of this book. This chapter was a nice abrupt deviation from Daenerys' other chapters. For the first time in this book, I want to skip ahead to her next PoV.

• 2 weeks later...

THIS CHAPTER.

I swear I haven't been this excited about Daenerys' story arc since pre-Mirri Maz Duur.

And now, now I finally see the point of all the often-depressing and enervating Meereen chapters. Honestly, this chapter would not have had nearly the same impact had it not been preceded by the pale-mare-ing, Daario-fucking, tokar-wearing chapters prior to this one. All the pathos and intensity of this chapter could not exist without the previous Daenerys chapters in this book.

Seriously, Dany's future has never looked this open since AGOT, and it's wonderful.

Oh snap! Dragon flying, now this is badass!

You just know you're reaching the end of a GRRM book when all the characters start to have badass moments (Theon jumping from the Winterfell wall and now Danny flying Drogon)

A bit of the text says that she dodges the flames of Drogon, but she can't be burned, why didn't she go stand there instead of dodging the fire lol

Awesome!

I must have been reading too fast the other Dany chapters but I still cannot get à grip on what à tokar looks like. And those floppy ears...

Why should the other 2 dragons be ridden in Mereen? They could fly beside Drogon and Dany and get their riders in Westeros.

Many theories come now:

Is Tyrion riding à pig just practice for him riding à dragon later on?

I think the Green dragon Rhaegal will be Aegon's. Mostly because it is named after his father. Also Aegon is still green as à leader and this dragon is the one that still remains chained.

The white dragon is for Jon, to match his white wolf and the ice. Don't know what to make of the name Vyserion though.

And Bran may get to warg some other flying beast of the North. À giant eagle or who knows what else is hidden in the lands beyond the Wall.

On another note: I suspect that Rickon is in Scagos. There are supposed to be unicorns there. Imagine if he wargs into one if them!

And when will Jon warg into something else besides Ghost?

• 2 weeks later...

OMG, finally something interesting in a Dany chapter. Some thoughts:

1. I'm Ok with the whipping ... IMO, kinda odd to not be ok with this since they're freakin fire-breathing, murderous dragons and all

2. Was hoping this was where Tyrion meets Dany finally, didn't happen (dragon riding ending made up for it, but still)

3. Why didn't Barristan recognize Tyrion?

Archived