[ADWD SPOILERS] Daenerys 9

Xray the Enforcer

I dont think it was poison. Poison kills, it doesn't cause you to vomit. Or if it did, it'd be weak poison, that is not strong enough to kill. Honestly tho if it was poison, the harpies are dumbasses. It'd be more convincing if it involved the tears of lys. Secondly they know her diet by now. I'm just astounded by the stupidity of the slaver cities. Almost caricatures. If she used dragons instead of chaining them up, she'd burn them to hell. Tyrion is clever, he's got something planned, trust me. No one will believe a slave, not even Tyrion. He's bidding his time. Also does anyone know where jogos nhais is? One of the pit fighters was mentioned to be from there

Actually, most poisons DO cause you to vomit before they kill you. Even the fast, strong ones that have you unconscious before you start vomiting. As soon as your body figures out that it's got a lethal substance in the bloodstream, it does everything it can to get rid of it--sweating, vomiting, etc.... It's not a neat and tidy process, poisoning someone. There are very few poisons which act so quickly the body can't attempt to purge.

This chapter is Epic!!!! :bowdown: :bowdown:

IMO it is Dany's best chapter ever!! I was jumping in my sit!!

We have been waiting for something like this for so long I just hope that the next chapters continue this epicness or at least half of it! :D

Does anyone know why Drogon is red in the tv show rather than black? Maybe black baby dragons are born red and grow to black?

I think in the TV show his wings only are red. Think his scales are still black?

Also, couldn't agree more that it's fitting she rides Drogon. I still believe she is Azor Ahai and the PtwP. As Drogon is the biggest and baddest of the 3, Dany should ride him.

I've spent so much time speculating about other riders...sure everyone else is too. I think we're about to see lots of pretenders to the role of the 2 remaining dragon "heads". So many hints at people with "drops of dragon blood", "dreams of dragons", etc. But I'm guessing the selection process won't be pretty--based on Drogo's reaction to Dany, his own MOTHER. We may even see some short term riders, who will be replaced with other, more appropriate masters.

Finally, I don't think all 3 dragons need riders before Dany could go back to Westeros. She could fly Drogon in the lead, with the other 2 flying behind her. I currently lay odds on her 2 nephews: Aegon and Jon (realize that's speculation, but I'm convinced Jon is her nephew). I think Aegon will ride Rhaegal and Jon will ride Viserion. Afterall...Jon SNOW + ALBINO wolf = white dragon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hah, Tyrion was so close to dying. I can just imagine some joke he'd crack about if he knew that piece of info.

All I can wonder is what the heck is going to happen to all of those people and dragons in Meereen. I also think it's funny that Dany thinks she is going to be a queen and only be betrayed 3 times :P Fat chance of that.

Not a Daenerys fan but I do enjoy her bad-ass dragon moments. Also, I agree that she lost her identity when she abandoned her dragons and that now she will finally take control and stay true to herself. For a while at least.

Every time some of the characters abandon, ignore or are separated from their animal avatars in some way, it backfires. I like that GRRM holds this balance with the animal inside idea important.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if I like the dragon riding, but yeah, it's part of the world and part of the history, so I need to deal with it. Other than that, brilliant chapter. Loved to see Tyrion and Penny from Dany's POV.

Wow, this chapter was crazy. I was so hoping that Dany would finally meet Tyrion face-to-face and was disappointed when she didn't, but I could never have predicted Drogon coming back. I was sure he wouldn't turn up again until the last book. And we get our first dragonriding. I can't wait to see what Dany does next. It's not like she can just keep going and stay in Meereen as if nothing ever happened. I hope she'll finally decide to go to Westeros.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont think it was poison. Poison kills, it doesn't cause you to vomit. Or if it did, it'd be weak poison, that is not strong enough to kill.

Good to know you obviously never tried poisonous mushrooms and/or datura. ;)

AWESOME chapter! Simply breathtaking! I listened to it while walking through the forest and I yelled "YEEEES YES YES, NOOOOOOOOOOO! YEEEEES!" - I bet whoever heard me thought I was making out in a romantic spot in the woods. :D

Where to start, where to start? I had so many expectations! None and all of them were met! Ever since Tyrion was told he was going to perform in front of 10.000 Mereneese I knew something badass was going to happen. Although I thought more of something like Tyrion staging a show or Jorah Mormont popping up unexpectantly or maybe Dany giving a big tear-jerking speech about freedom and such. And I'm NOT a big Dany fan (neither am I a hater, though).

1) Yes, Hizdar (spelling? I'm listening to the audiobook) is definitely trying to kill her. I wondered all the time how he convinced the sons of the harpies to lay down their swords and how she was going to make sure he will not kill her after the marriage and claim the crown for himself? So okay, I felt the uneasiness every step of the way, the slave that stopped the trail, her migraine, Strong Belwas' sweating and choking on the locusts and then the throwing up... I am pretty sure it was poison, but Hizdahr surely had one more thing waiting for her... It was so creepy and took all my focus, I was completely focused on what kind of assassin is going to pop out unexpectantly that the other awesome occurances surprised me to death.

2) Tyrion almost dying - oh crap, that was close! And I would have been SOOOOOO like GRRM to just finish him off like that, as a random slave casualty in the fighting pits. WOW. I really thought he was going to kill him off just like that. Phew. Phew-PHEW!

3) DROGON!

My god, the awesomeness. I was cheering so loud I think some actual dragons heard me while I was walking outside. Then I went all "NOOOOOO!" when he got speared in the neck and "YESYESYES" again when he ate that stupid fool. For a second I thought he was going to eat Dany, too.

About the whipping. What kind of a choice did she have in that situation? It's not like you get a handbook on how to raise a baby dragon when you get one. It's not like Dany could even train a puppy. Drogon was about to rip off her head! What was she supposed to do? I don't think they have ever heard about clicker training in Westeros or Essos.

And about the "it's unrealistic" that a dragon would be impressed by a whip. It's not the whip he fears. It's the hand that yields the whip that he respects. She did not physically HURT him, he did not even feel it. He is a dragon with thick hot scales and all. She stood her ground against him and he was impressed. She was probably the first human being that had the balls to oppose him and speak to him with authority - and her Targaryen blood may have helped here as well.

Physically small women (me, for example) train horses that are ten times heavier than them (my mare, for example). And no, I don't whip (or hurt) my horses. But if one of them got lost in the woods for a year, saw me again and charged at me trying to kill me, yes, I WOULD raise a hand (or a whip) against them. And then, after that, I would take them home and lovingly and carefully clicker train them and cuddle them and feed them carrots. But only after my own security has been ensured. And yes, I would even slap my child if she ever turns around trying to eat me. You can all go call child services now if that upsets you. :-P

There's a fine line between spanking your children and animals because you think it's an appropriate way to get them to behave - or if you're trying to save your own life while all you have at your disposal is your voice and a whip.

What I'm kindof "upset" about is that she didn't take the time to gently and respectfully train them while they were still small. Now that would have made me happy and it annoyed me to death that she ignored them and assumed they'd just train themselves. Like people buying a collie puppy expecting he'd grow into Lassie all by himself.

• 2 weeks later...

It almost made all the dull Dany chapters worth it biggrin.gif

Definitely agree. This book series is awesome, and I generally love Dany's character, but her thread is so hit-and-miss. Buuutttt, her story is either the life of the party or a total snooze. In GoT she's awesome! The phoenix rising from the ashes, a changed person, the Targaryen she was meant to be. Then in CoK, she has the most boring thread in the book, with the one exception being the chapter where her Drogon mix it up with the undying zombie-people, and she learns about her future. That did rule.

But in SoS, the Astapor chapter is the most awesome in the book! I was stunned. I guess I should have saw it coming, but didn't. This is where we see her shrewdness, and that she will follow her own rules.

But, I'll be danged that in DwD she only has one chapter that isn't sort of boring, (although one of the best again). There's just too much minutae about how she feels about this group of people, and that group of people, etc.. And nothing of note really happens until Drogon re-enters the picture.

Sry for the long post, but had to vent about the one little thing that has been frustrating.

I guess what you are saying is that Dany is always boring, just Drogon kicks ass!

Just kidding, I'm not a Dany hater, I just see a pattern in her chapters after the dragons hatched. Boredom, boredom, more boredom and then WAAAAAUGH, Drogon burns some almighty zombie wizards, yaaay! Then a long time nothing of significance until... Drogon melts the face off a slaver, awesome! Then back to boredom, until he keeps us on the edge of our seats because he refuses to get caught and noone knows what he's up to and then, finally his breathtaking show in the fighting pits of Mereen, so relieving after another endless series of boredom. :D

I wonder if the other dragons will ever do something of significance.

Have you noticed that Dany gets the deepest bond to the biggest of all dragons and Jon Snow bonds with the pack leader of the direwolves? Another interesting parallel.

This was probably my favorite Dany chapter also! I'm not a huge Dany fan, but I'm also not a hater. So I guess you could say that I am generally ambivalent about her. But this chapter was really fantastic.

I was always a bit weary of her husband. He just was trying way too hard to please her... even more than the other butt kissers. I just didn't like him. And I think that he was trying to make her ill... maybe not kill her, but definitely keep her confined to her bedroom unable to enforce her laws. He's a douche. Plain and simple.

I was also one of those people who was desparate for a Dany/Tyrion meeting. I am so bummed they missed each other! I can't wait to read Tyrion's next chapter to find out what he thought of the whole situation.

I guess what you are saying is that Dany is always boring, just Drogon kicks ass!

Just kidding, I'm not a Dany hater, I just see a pattern in her chapters after the dragons hatched. Boredom, boredom, more boredom and then WAAAAAUGH, Drogon burns some almighty zombie wizards, yaaay! Then a long time nothing of significance until... Drogon melts the face off a slaver, awesome! Then back to boredom, until he keeps us on the edge of our seats because he refuses to get caught and noone knows what he's up to and then, finally his breathtaking show in the fighting pits of Mereen, so relieving after another endless series of boredom. :D

I wonder if the other dragons will ever do something of significance.

Have you noticed that Dany gets the deepest bond to the biggest of all dragons and Jon Snow bonds with the pack leader of the direwolves? Another interesting parallel.

LOL, it does seem that its Drogon I have a man crush on ;-) But I do like Dany's character. How she completely turns the tables on the slavers at Astapor was genius, and showed she's not just trying to win the Game of Thrones. There is something more important than that at stake with her.

But I thought Ghost was the runt of the Direwolf litter, not the pack leader. I think Nymeria is the pack leader, and I also think we'll see more of her in the upcoming books in this series.

was like HELLS YEAH Balerion the black dread reborn. Did fear for Tyrion a few seconds though. Really wanna know how this turns out for the rest of the story maybe there going to be some quick developements in the danny chapters now :D

This is how I read it as well. Drogon is batshit nutso w/o a firm hand and given his name, we are made to believe that this dragon--above all others--would understand strength first and foremost.

This chapter had me in tears. I started bawlin' my poor head off the moment Dany entered the pit.

Ahh. I had to take a break from the book. But, I'm eager for Tyrion's next chapter as I am dying to see his reaction.

If this chapter had you upset I can't imagine how you got through the red wedding :P

But why was Dany so worried about getting burnt? Last I checked she was unaffected by heat and had basically slept in a funeral pyre in book 1. I was really hoping that Drogon would try to burn her and then submit when he saw that she was unharmed by the flames.

But why was Dany so worried about getting burnt?  Last I checked she was unaffected by heat and had basically slept in a funeral pyre in book 1.  I was really hoping that Drogon would try to burn her and then submit when he saw that she was unharmed by the flames.

Maybe that was a one time thing. I sure as hell wouldn't try it again if there was a serious chance of dying if it doesn't work xD

It almost made all the dull Dany chapters worth it biggrin.gif

Exactly what I was thinking. Awesome that FINALLY something big has happened in her chapters.

Only thing leaving a bitter taste is that (spoiler on book chapters)

there's only 1 more Dany chapter left which leaves me to think that this is about the only payoff we're gonna see in this book :-/

Is it just me, or was this the first time in a LONG time that Strong Belwas made an appearance? Either way, he made for some comedic relief. Also Jhiqui and Irri fighting about who will win in the pit "It is known". The chapter was comedic in that it was utterly chaotic; a million things happening at once.

It was definitely suspensful knowing that Tyrion is right there, yet they haven't yet met. I think now that Daenarys has once again remembered what is important, and reclaimed her identity via Drogon, she is going to get rid of this husband fool and start kicking ass. I guess she needed this slap in the face to wake up from lala land.

• 3 weeks later...

LOVED the ending of this chapter ... finally riding the dragon!!! Made all the grusome details of the fights worth it ... :drunk:

I KNOW RIGHT????? ...if only Tyrion hadn't had his master buy Jorah as part of their act - he'd surely have ended up in the fighting pits, then Dany could have freed him!

I agree! Was hoping to see Jorah and have him reunited with Dany! Sorry, can't help it.. I have a soft spot for Jorah for some reason! lol

I hope anyway that Daenerys is going somehow to inreact with Tyrion, because I think he is the lonly one around that may have some knowledge on dragons and how to train / behave near them

I can't wait to see this scene from his POV.

Archived