[ADWD SPOILERS] The Iron Suitor

Xray the Enforcer

Victarions lost half his fleet but has turned up in Slavers Bay which is awesome. He has also managed to find the red priest from Tyrions chapters which is interesting.

Good observation. I knew the name was familiar.

Good chapter...can't wait to see how it all ties in. I think stuff will go down in Meereen, and Dany and crew will use Victarian's iron fleet to get back to westeros.

If Dany was hot for Daario with his obscene golden wantons on his sword hilts, she's really going to go wild for Victarion. He's like, the ultimate jerkface bad-boy. :smoking:

Yeah right. A badass *still* afraid of his brother.

But a butcher nonetheless.

To paraphrase Tyrion, : "When do you think Dany will be most fertile? Before or after Victarion kills everyone she likes Rambo4 style?"

what's up with victarion's hand? it was black and smoking.

Pick your favourite:

• Victarion has contracted blackscale. For now, it has only claimed his left hand, but in time his whole body will turn to coal until he looks like the red priest.
  • To stop the wound from festering, the red priest has liberally cauterized the flesh around it.
  • R'hllor has granted Victarion the Hand of Fire.

Did anyone else find the paragraph long transition from third person limited to a third person omniscient perspective at the end of the chapter extremely jarring and abrasive, especially after approximately 4,500 pages of a strict limited perspective for each POV character? I thought this was a cop out so Martin didn't have to deal with writing about magic and explaining exactly what happened to Victarion and I find it pretty disappointing, especially this far into the story. It just felt so off, reading about events happening to a POV character second-hand.

Although it was clearly blood magic and the similarities to what Mirri Maz Durr did to "save" Drogo are apparent. I wonder if the Dusky Woman was sacrificed to perform this spell? I find it interesting that the red temples delve into shadow binding and blood magic and all that nasty stuff. Up until now I had just assumed it was something that was unique to the red temples of Asshai.

Did anyone else find the paragraph long transition from third person limited to a third person omniscient perspective at the end of the chapter extremely jarring and abrasive, especially after approximately 4,500 pages of a strict limited perspective for each POV character?

No, in fact I quite missed it until you pointed it out. Where did it get omniscient? I can't see GRRM doing that by mistake. I wonder if it was deliberate, as in Victarion has gained some sort of power?

Pick your favourite:

• Victarion has contracted blackscale. For now, it has only claimed his left hand, but in time his whole body will turn to coal until he looks like the red priest.
  • To stop the wound from festering, the red priest has liberally cauterized the flesh around it.
  • R'hllor has granted Victarion the Hand of Fire.

Is blackscale different from greyscale? I don't know if I'm familiar with blackscale. It didn't sound like greyscale. Are you assuming that the red priest had some sort of disease and that was why he was black? That's very interesting.

And what is the hand of fire? Did I miss that one too. I thought that was another series?

I really enjoy Victarion’s chapters – what a viking! His irritability and lack of easy humour is funny – also find it funny how much those monkeys piss him off.

That ending was amazing though. So much is happening in this chapter, and it is frightening and thrilling all at once. I agree that maybe the dusky woman has been sacrificed in the procedure to heal his hand. And Victarion instructing the crew to throw their Maester overboard – maybe this is the beginning of the conversion of the Iron Islands to R’hollor? Moqorro is as dangerous as Melisandre – coming from the ocean like that…

Love his ending line.

If Dany was hot for Daario with his obscene golden wantons on his sword hilts, she's really going to go wild for Victarion. He's like, the ultimate jerkface bad-boy. :smoking:

=)

Did anyone else find the paragraph long transition from third person limited to a third person omniscient perspective at the end of the chapter extremely jarring and abrasive, especially after approximately 4,500 pages of a strict limited perspective for each POV character? I thought this was a cop out so Martin didn't have to deal with writing about magic and explaining exactly what happened to Victarion and I find it pretty disappointing, especially this far into the story. It just felt so off, reading about events happening to a POV character second-hand.

That's a good point - yes it was slightly bizarre that GRRM chose to back away from Victarion's POV to a third person view when Moqorro was in there working sorcery on his hand.

Archived