[ADWD SPOILERS] The Iron Suitor

Xray the Enforcer

• 2 weeks later...
I like to read about Victarion, but how can one love him as a character? He killed his own wife, for Christ's sake!

Do you remember what provoked that act? She slept with one of his brothers, not to mention the brother who Victarion utterly despised even before he seduced his wife. Ya... she had that one coming.

EDIT: I do not endorse domestic violence.

Do you remember what provoked that act? She slept with one of his brothers, not to mention the brother who Victarion utterly despised even before he seduced his wife. Ya... she had that one coming.

EDIT: I do not endorse domestic violence.

I don't see a lot of reasons to 'love' Vicy the Ironman. I think he's kind of cool since in the last book he threw a man overboard after catching his sword with his mailed hand. He does seem more honorable than any other men from the Iron Islands, but I don't see any real reason to call him a hero or protagonist since he's out to sea on a selfish reason. I wouldn not say 'His wife had it comming but then again, to quote Chris Roc: "I wouldn't have killed her... but I understand."

Why didnt his wife have it coming...? If you were married to Victarion, and then - knowing that he had a burning hated for his brother - still slept with Euron to the point where he got you pregnant... Would you consider that an especially smart or dumb thing to do? Personally to me that sounds like something anyone on the Iron Islands could tell you would result in a horrific end for yourself.

Do I condone him killing his wife, no - but she played with fire and got burnt.

I thought the perspective change at the end was pretty odd too... Surely GRRM noticed what he was doing since he's worked so hard to tell the story piecemeal through various limited POVs, so why... I think it all could've been explained nicely if Victarion slipped into a delirium and somehow had a out of body experience... At least that'd explain why his POV was out of his body.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright so just read this chapter, so maybe he was healed but he has was turned into a burnt crisp?

But should be really bad-ass, but it did seem Victarion looked at the Red Priest as someone sent by the Drowned God, so I don't think he will take up the red faith, but just see it as an envoy of the Drowned God?

Since Euron is a godless man, it shouldn't matter much back home, since the people can't ask for a godly man since the king is not a "godly" man

But also so there are no GODS in ASOIAF? Only magic and the mystical right? If so it seems the red priests not a whole lotta magic than anyone else.

I can the Faith of Seven don't know much since in Westeros there is also the Citadel, who don't like magic and dragons at all so always are suppressing it

Honestly, Victarion was my favorite new character introduced in AFFC. And if you did not read his POVs in AFFC, then you missed your chance to be introduced to one of the most badass characters in the series. I'm just hoping he gets to keep his hand. I love his last line... SO BADASS :D. I also wouldn't be surprised if he sacrificed his consort, he mentioned earlier hes always wanted to kill her, just never got around to it.

Did anyone else find the paragraph long transition from third person limited to a third person omniscient perspective at the end of the chapter extremely jarring and abrasive, especially after approximately 4,500 pages of a strict limited perspective for each POV character? I thought this was a cop out so Martin didn't have to deal with writing about magic and explaining exactly what happened to Victarion and I find it pretty disappointing, especially this far into the story. It just felt so off, reading about events happening to a POV character second-hand.

I did notice this ... I noticed it once before in an Asha chapter, IIRC. I didn't bother me that much, but it was a bit off putting.

I've enjoyed the Iron Born chapters in this book so much more than in AFFC. IMO, they were a tough read in the last book, mostly because they were so few and scattered and always a different POV making it hard to get invested in any one character. The Damphair chapters were especially difficult. This was good though ... I loved the twist with the Red Priest.

In addition to those already listed, there were a few more moments that piqued my interest...

1) Victarion laughing...I have to think this was from Victarion actually thrusting his hand into the R'hollor's flames--he came out "bloody from the elbow". He probably would have not only seen the magic working on his hand, but also, possibly, visions of the future.

2) Moqorro obviously cast a spell during the storm that sent him overboard--it seems this was intentional and specifically so he would land with Victarion. There is some destiny here and I agree that the "magic" involved will be a pivotal plot point. Whether Dany rejects or embraces R'hollor upon meeting Moqorro will be especially interesting. If she becomes a follower of the red priests, then it's clearly the Azor Ahai prophesy ahead of us.

• 1 month later...

The only reasons why I liked the Victarion Chapters so far is because they had the most fighting in them, which is something I believe should be present in the books, It is after all a war for the iron throne, I mean obviously there are several scenes in which there are sieges and skirmished but up to now in my opinion this book (ADWD) is starting to turn into some kind of multi-religous struggle. This is my personnel opinion, don't know how many of you guys out there agree with me.

Oh btw by fighting I mean as in real fighting not mentions of men fighting but the actual character in the fight himself.

As a reader I find Victorian extremely interesting, but as an human I hate the guy. I don't know why, he just seems like a total bad-ass asshole. Nevertheless, great chapter, especially the awkward shit with Moqorro.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I feel like something really needs to be addressed.

What is with all the highborn lads sharing their most vulnerable secrets with mute underlings? Both Jaime and Victarion have confided in people who've had their tongues torn out as if they were magical walking diaries who would be forced to take their secrets to their graves, and that seems like such a stupid thing to do. I mean, even if they are illiterate, anyone can be taught to read if the stakes are high enough. What's to stop Ilyn Payne from writing the entire realm about Jaime's poor swordfighting skills, or someone opposed to Victarion from putting in some time and effort and fishing the information out of the dusky woman? We already saw this happening with Manderly and that ironborn boy, so it's not like it's unprecedented.

Yeah there's a lot of examples of what you mean, but I never noticed before until this book. To be honest, I think he partly does that to provide an easier on-screen-adaption. However, I'm more comfortable with long inner dialogues than people telling stuff out of no reason to arbitrary POVs or vice versa.

• 3 months later...

I'm not sure if I'm remembering this correctly..but remember when the storm came on the ship and Tyrion thought he saw like black wings when the sails ripped...you don't think Drogon burned Moqorro? no right? all I know is I'm confused..there's too many things happening and I wish Martin was done with WoW. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I am not surprised the red priest survived, after reading the pov chapter with Melisandre, we know that at least some of the red priests are gaining true powers and are not relying on parlor tricks any more. Which also made me think about the ending of Feast, where Archmaester Marwyn also made a reference to magic coming back into the world, and how the Maesters were dead set against it. Where do you think Marwyn will pop up next? Wasn't he supposed to be on his way to look for the dragons? I am 74% into the book, anybody know if he pops up anywhere?

• 2 weeks later...

Victarions lost half his fleet but has turned up in Slavers Bay which is awesome. He has also managed to find the red priest from Tyrions chapters which is interesting.

I really enjoy Victarion's chapters – what a viking! His irritability and lack of easy humour is funny – also find it funny how much those monkeys piss him off.

That ending was amazing though. So much is happening in this chapter, and it is frightening and thrilling all at once. I agree that maybe the dusky woman has been sacrificed in the procedure to heal his hand. And Victarion instructing the crew to throw their Maester overboard – maybe this is the beginning of the conversion of the Iron Islands to R'hollor? Moqorro is as dangerous as Melisandre – coming from the ocean like that…

Love his ending line.

=)

That's a good point - yes it was slightly bizarre that GRRM chose to back away from Victarion's POV to a third person view when Moqorro was in there working sorcery on his hand.

I thought for sure Moqorro was dead. I wonder what's his role to play in all this, especially with Victarion.

I don't know but if i remember but in the cahpeter that Tyrion was captured and was in the sale, say tha Moqorro has a tattoo and that tatto means that he belong to the red temple and no one can make it slave, and in this chapter appear from no where is strange

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

^ That's what I got out of the chapter.

I really don't care for Vic or any of the Greyjoys tbh. They are the least likable of our PoV characters.

The most interesting thing in the chapter is the wizard now.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, now that i have been deprived of Theon and Cersei as POV chars i love to hate, GRRM has found it in himself give me a new one ^_^

I absolutely despise Victarion, and i hope Ramsay lives long to 'befriend' him.

About the change of perspective... i have now read the paragraph several times and i don't see the 3rd person omniscient narration. The way i read it, it just suggests me that Moqorro has been telling Victarion of the things that he has seen in his fires regarding Dany, and we're just listening to his thoughts about that revelation. So i don't see him suddenly being able to know what's ahead, he has just been told.

At least that's how i read it.

• 1 month later...

This was such a mysterious chapter. Moqorro clearly has some kind of plan/use for Victarion, and seems to have completely earned his trust through healing his hand with some black magic.

I found the spell really eerie - singing in High Valyrian, laughter even though Victarion hates laughter, and the monkeys jumping off.

Very interested in future Vic chapters

Archived