[ADWD SPOILERS] The Spurned Suitor

Xray the Enforcer

I think I'm the only person who likes this poor guy. >_>

I don't know, I just see a sleeping giant in him. I could totally be wrong, but he seems like the kind of character that everyone looks down on for a long time and he seems really lame, but then he goes and does something awesome out of nowhere and everyone suddenly thinks differently of him. At least I hope so.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know, I just see a sleeping giant in him. I could totally be wrong, but he seems like the kind of character that everyone looks down on for a long time and he seems really lame, but then he goes and does something awesome out of nowhere and everyone suddenly thinks differently of him. At least I hope so.

Oh, I really like Quentyn as a character. But that doesn't mean I think it's likely that GRRM is going to let him get away with stealing a dragon and becoming a major player in the wars back in Westeros.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Quentyn, I like the poor guy, I like all the Dornish people, but this is stupid. I'm afraid he's going to unleash two dragons into the world. My gut says something is going horrible wrong in the further chapters.

I think we've already seen what happened when one dragon was allowed to roam free in the wild, not there's going to be two more >.>

I really want Quentyn to be able to control the dragon, to be honest. It would give him some semblance of bad-assery then.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh I like Quentyn and it would be great to see him do something awesome and at least impress the world (or Daenerys), even if he dies in the process. But my biggest hopes right now lie in the fact that those dragons have been locked up for AGES and I really really want them to be freed. No matter how and almost no matter who throws away their life in the attempt.

There's this slight little light of hope I have and it might be slightly spoilerish, so I'll use spoiler tags:

There's a chapter called "The Dragontamer" ahead and my thumbs are pressed that it's NOT about Dany.

Ygrette - I totally agree! I saw that title and am hoping the same thing.

I also like Quentyn. More than I thought I would. I feel like GRRM is sort of setting us up to like him though, only to be thrown totally off when something horrible happens to him. I am hoping, though, that Quentyn does free the dragons and manages to cling to one of them. I hope that he is reunited with Dany, and she finally sees an equal in a man. I'm not a huge Dany fan, but I do like Quentyn and want him to gain something.

Although wouldn't it just totally throw things into choas in Dorne if he were to die...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I felt the same way.

We have gotten several descriptions of Quentyn from other POVs and all of them remark on how plaina nd boring he is compared to his companions. Yet it is Quentyn that is the bravest of ll of them. Whereas Selmy saw fire in Drinkwater, it is Quentyn who does not even contemplate turning back from the quest. Also,he doesnt appear to be brave simply for the sake of being brave. it's not like he knows everyone thinks he is just a boring little nothing and is trying to prove them wrong, he seems to genuinely have courage and is not going out of his way to show it.

I dig that, and I'm not even a Quentyn POV fan.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm not understanding his logic.

I feel like the people who want to use the dragons to conquer [besides Dany] feel that they're so easily tamed. I felt that way when they were tiny but now I just understand why the risk of riding/using isn't a worry.

I really like the Martell family so I'd like him to survive the slave cities.

• 2 months later...

Oh please! Don't kill the dragons! I always thought that the dragons will fight against the Others in the final battle of the book... There are two Targaryans on the story (legitimates and that we know)... Maybe Quentyn is the one who will bring one of the three dragons to Aegon... I don't see him (Quentyn) as one of the "heads", but this books have the custom to suprise me all the time!

I don't think also that Quentyn is going to died... at least not until doing something realy important. It will be a waste of time if after everything we've seen of him, he just die in a stupid way...

• 1 month later...

I don't dislike Quentyn, but to me he is going to be the guy who does something-stupid-but-necessary-for-the-story (freeing one or two dragons) and then will die in the process, his usefulness gone.

From a character point of view, I think he is not that brave nor that clever, however he is a dutiful son and wants to achieve the mission his father trusted him with. That's why he is not coming back to Dorne even when Barristan advised him to. He is going to see it through and finds a kind of inner courage, conquering his fear of the dragons. Quite admirable. But ultimately doomed.

Liked the Tattered Prince tho'.

• 1 month later...

I don't dislike Quentyn, but to me he is going to be the guy who does something-stupid-but-necessary-for-the-story (freeing one or two dragons) and then will die in the process, his usefulness gone.

From a character point of view, I think he is not that brave nor that clever, however he is a dutiful son and wants to achieve the mission his father trusted him with. That's why he is not coming back to Dorne even when Barristan advised him to. He is going to see it through and finds a kind of inner courage, conquering his fear of the dragons. Quite admirable. But ultimately doomed.

Liked the Tattered Prince tho'.

I agree with you completely. Quentin wont see the end of this book, yet I am positive he will end up releasing the dragons. My guess is this will pair up with the attack of Yunkai on Mereen, with Dany´s return AND with Victarions arrival. A baddass ending, I am quite sure.

• 1 year later...

"I have found that it is only when the food is tempting that one must beware. Poisoners invariably choose the choicest dishes.”

I laughed out loud when I read this. It's like GRRM is screaming at us: 'the poison wasn't meant for Dany!" ;-) Whether it was meant for Hizdahr, I can't say, but the theory that they were meant for Strong Belwas (who *loves* locusts) seems to make the most sense to me, for this very reason.

Archived