[ADWD SPOILERS] The Dragontamer

Xray the Enforcer

I kinda hope he's dead, but who knows? I think he may have been a good character if he had been developed well in earlier books, so that we really cared about him. I can only speak for myself, but whether he's dead or alive won't keep me up at night lol...

On the other hand, knowing the fate of the dragons just might :-)

(I only have 3 chapters and the epilogue left, so I guess I'll find out soon, but I am assuming the fate of V and R will be left hanging til the next book).

I count him as a dead man. A pitty, cause I really liked Qentyn. He was really good hearted and Dany should have treated him much better. If marrying him was not an option, she should have given him at least a place of high honor. He was bringing him Dorne and all she oferreed was scorn. I blame Daenerys for his death.

I count him as a dead man. A pitty, cause I really liked Qentyn. He was really good hearted and Dany should have treated him much better. If marrying him was not an option, she should have given him at least a place of high honor. He was bringing him Dorne and all she oferreed was scorn. I blame Daenerys for his death.

I like Quentyn, too. He seems like a genuinely decent kid. In fact, the Martells are currently my favorite of the Westeros great houses and I really enjoy the chapters set in Dorne.

That said, Dany was pretty much the only person in Meereen who treated him with any honor (giving him apartments high up in the pyramid, taking him to visit the dragons, etc). In fact, didn't she tell him he was a possible dragon rider??

Dany is only missing at this point - there is no proof that she is dead.

Yet even though she is only presumed dead he attempts to steal her dragons - against the advice of his friends. And he shows the extreme bad judgement of allowing one dragon to get between him and only exit whilst turning his back on another dragon.

I do not see how Dany can be blamed for Quentyn trying to steal from her and for him underestimating the dragons and overestimating himself.

Epic failure in judgement on his part and his fate (whatever it turns out to be) is due to his own actions.

I wonder, if Quentyn is true to have dragon blood, if that will be enough to protect him from dragon fire.

Also, could this be the "mummer's dragon" part of Dany's prophecy?

Sure Quentyn is the Sun's son, but could he also be the mummer's dragon?

Since there was a quote about getting their mummer's clothing (brass mask)

With GRRm, I don't know that Quentyn's dead, or even failed, though likely maimed. Seems like he had Viserion responding to him.. before Rhaegal came up. Though from Selmy's POV they are free and causing havok.

So Q's plan was to break in, chain one to a wagon and wheel him out past a hostile city and enemy siege lines?

At the very least he's a hero for saving Dany's dragons from being killed out of hand, and potentially helped set them on their course to Westeros.

(Maybe one could stop briefly to pick up a very short rider that's well trained in riding beasts with snouts.)

It could be possible Quentyn's just freaking out as the fire ripples across his body but doesn't actually burn him, but I kind of doubt it. Dany's hair and clothes burned off when she went into the funeral pyre to retrieve her eggs, maybe something similar is happening with Quentyn?

I don't think having Targaryen blood is any protection against fire, though. Maybe just dragonfire, but it could be that Dany's semi-invulnerability to fire comes from the fact that she hatched the eggs, and not just because she's a Targaryen. We know hot, burning things can kill Targaryens, because of how Viserys dies -- and also there's the story of the Targaryen king (can't remember his name) that immolated himself when he drank wildfire.

I liked Quentyn a lot since he was a far cry from your super-certain, super-competent prince and served as a counter to Daario who I can't fuckin' stand. That said, from the moment Dany took him down to the dragon pit and he looked scared I knew he was dragonfood by the end of the book. As much as I enjoyed Quentyn, I'm neither shocked nor upset at his ultimate end. He just wasn't the type of character who gets far in a Martin book. And hell, we'd only had this book, just a few chapters, to get to know him. There wasn't much investment.

Anyway, whenever your POV character starts getting too cocky "I have Targaryen blood! The dragons will love me!" he's fuckin' deeeead.

and also there's the story of the Targaryen king (can't remember his name) that immolated himself when he drank wildfire.

Aerion Brightflame was a prince, never a king, gods be good. In fact Ben Plumm boasts Aerion as a former member of the Second Sons.

Archived