[ADWD SPOILERS] The Dragontamer

Xray the Enforcer

He was a nice guy relative to most of the people we meet in the series (which pretty much guarantees his death). So I do hate to see him go. I just don't see logistically how he is going to survive. He doesn't know about stop drop and roll. Would any of his companions no enough about fire to try and smother him? Is that even possible with dragon fire or is there too much going on chemically?

I vote dead or severely maimed. Could we even see him as a prologue character in TWoW? 'The Fried Dornish Pepper' (yeah, I know the prologues don't have character names, I couldn't resist.) No way he is immune to fire of any kind, George is too savage a god.

I vote dead or severely maimed. Could we even see him as a prologue character in TWoW? 'The Fried Dornish Pepper' (yeah, I know the prologues don't have character names, I couldn't resist.) No way he is immune to fire of any kind, George is too savage a god.

"The Fried Dornish Pepper" LOL

But like I said earlier, if he survives somehow, I'm sure it will be via a Red Priest's magic--just like UnCat and Vic's arm, etc.

I don't think he is dead.

If he is though, then his story has been completely irrellevant.

I don't have an issue with main characters or POV's dying, in fact I think it's great and keeps the story unpredicatbale. As long as their actions added something to the overall story, ie Ned died but his actions changed things. Same with Rob, Joffrey, etc. However, Quentin has not interacted with anyone relevant during his journey and only briefly with Dany, who basically brushed him aside. If he died purely to release the dragons, reading about him would have been utterly pointless.

The dragons could have easily been released by the new King whilst they tried to kill them for instance. And Doran will probably just join up with Aegon, which he could have done regardless.....

Also, I think GRRM made a point of telling us the Tattered Prince wanted Pentos of Quentyn. This will still have a tail I think, and Quentin needs to be alive for that me thinks.

So my hope is that he isn't dead.

GRRM told us in an earlier chapter that the Tattered Prince wanted Pentos too.

He really was a moron, although I do feel a little sorry for him. If he tried this plan of his on reasonably big and fierce dog, he would end up with his throat torn out, or severe bites, and he tried it with two! huge! fire-breathing! dragons! I can't really sympathize with morons.

Imagine you're an animal. Some complete stranger comes into your lair, throws you a piece of meat - ok, nice, - then he screams at you and hits you all out of sudden! Wouldn't you eat this stranger if you could?

He needed someone who worked with wild animals at very least. It wouldn't help, 99% certainty, but his wasn't even good effort. He basically made sure he'll be eaten.

His folly serves quiet a few plot points: he released the dragons who were in peril, since the obvious disinterest of their mum had set them in danger. It also most like move Dorne to Aegon's camp, since Dany did not abide to the pact (a) and did not save Quent from harm (B). But I really don't see why spend sooooo much text on a character that is not intended to last. Though his entire party going on adventure felt more like a group of teens going on a Sprin Break Trip to be honest...

His folly serves quiet a few plot points: he released the dragons who were in peril, since the obvious disinterest of their mum had set them in danger. It also most like move Dorne to Aegon's camp, since Dany did not abide to the pact (a) and did not save Quent from harm (B). But I really don't see why spend sooooo much text on a character that is not intended to last. Though his entire party going on adventure felt more like a group of teens going on a Sprin Break Trip to be honest...

Daenerys had no pact with Dorne (and she didn't even know about the pact with Viserys until the day before her wedding in any case, so her hands were tied). However, you're right that their alliance is unlikely to work as smoothly now since there's no male heir for her to marry. I suppose The Darkstar... but hes' a Dayne not a Martell.

I do have to say I'm not sure Doran will fall all over Aegon like so many say. There's serious reason do doubt his legitimacy, unlike with Daenerys.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering how the dragons would get out of Meereen with Dany gone, but poor Quentyn. I really liked him and even though I didn't think he'd get together with Dany, he deserved better than that. Wonder what Dorne is going to think about their prince dying by dragon. With as vengeful as the sandsnakes and most of Dorne are, I can't imagine a simple explanation or sorry will do.

Aegon will have a better chance of courting Dorne now. I know that Griff wants Aegon unmarried so he can marry Dany, but I don't see that happening either. Perhaps Aegon and Arianne could wed.

• 2 weeks later...

As unlikely as it seems to me, Spacelord is right- no mention of any pain. Dany's clothes and hair did burn so he could have survived (which in itself may win over the dragons).

I get that people dont think there was pain, except for the SCREAM. Dany never screamed, screaming comes from fear or pain or just being an ass. I vote pain in this instance.

• 2 weeks later...

I get that people dont think there was pain, except for the SCREAM. Dany never screamed, screaming comes from fear or pain or just being an ass. I vote pain in this instance.

Read it this morning and don't have the book with me right now, but did it say the scream was his? There were his amigos and the sell swords in there with him...maybe they got roasted. However, I think he's dead...his life as we know it was a bunch of filler.

Too Bad! I really liked him as he was a character you can relate to: He's not arrogant, he's cautious and he's a good guy after all. And a bit shy personality. So I kinda related to him, because I probably would be like him if I were born in that world... It's a nice step away from all the arrogant, aggressive, self-assured, blindly storming afar characters in the books. Because you know, there are probably more people in this world like Quentyn than like Dany, Arya, Jaime, Loras, Robb and Jon...

And I disagree, he most definately was not a Leroy Jenkins. He thought long and hard about his options. Going home or trying something. He did chose the risky gamble and lost it. I wonder if there had been only one dragon in the pit, would he have succeeded? The chapter says Viserion hissed when he whipped him. He could have roasted him then and there. But it was Rhaegal who did it, from behind.

So, which of the dragons is the more fierce? Viserion seemed to be more active by lashing away from the chains and building a nest/cave into the stone. But on the other hand, he thus went away from Rhaegal who could stay where he was, did Viserion "flee"/"cave away"?

Archived