[ADWD SPOILERS] The Dragontamer

Xray the Enforcer

I know there have been a lot of haha gotcha not really dead characters in this book but I feel Quentyn really did bite the big one because earlier in the chapter he put his finger and the candlelight and it hurts him.

I would of much rather traded a few of the queen sits around doing nothing for a few chapters to set up this plot point. It felt rushed and I was unhappy with the story arc. It feels a bit like Martin just through away some characters that he could not get right.

And the story would be complete and utter crap.

I laughed :owned:

Same here. Never really liked Quentyn and was pretty vexed that GRRM chose to introduce him as a POV - especially since he chose to roast him. Totally, utterly pointless. If Quentny had wed Dany - fine, that would have made for a strong alliance with Dorne. Quite useful if you want to invade Westeros, I think.

Same here. Never really liked Quentyn and was pretty vexed that GRRM chose to introduce him as a POV - especially since he chose to roast him. Totally, utterly pointless. If Quentny had wed Dany - fine, that would have made for a strong alliance with Dorne. Quite useful if you want to invade Westeros, I think.

He wasn't useless , through his eyes we see the other part of the Mereen side that is the Yunkai plus i am sure he will be importnat to the decision Doran makes in the next book whether to support Dany or not .

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This pretty sums up my response for all the posters unsure of Quentyn's outcome..

Well, the fact that he was burned by the candle earlier in the chapter doesn't bode particularly well for him...

I am also not really sure why some people took a liking to him. It seems like he lived his entire life without ever making a decision based on what he wanted. He pursued Daenerys because Doran asked him to; he stayed on this ridiculous quest because of his pride; even his final "heroic" act was because he misinterpreted what Daenerys said. I enjoyed reading his PoV's, but I could not stand this guy's timidity. He was in way over his head.

Some might say he was his father's son, but Doran has a level of wisdom that Quentyn could never dream of possessing. While I am sure Doran will mourn his death, I am not too sure other Martell's will be so upset over it. He was not even the heir to Dorne, and his quest was shrouded in secrecy, so Dorne probably will not even lose much in terms of respect. Daenerys might think less of them, but the way the story is heading, I imagine Dorne will throw its support behind Aegon.

I am also not really sure why some people took a liking to him. It seems like he lived his entire life without ever making a decision based on what he wanted. He pursued Daenerys because Doran asked him to; he stayed on this ridiculous quest because of his pride; even his final "heroic" act was because he misinterpreted what Daenerys said. I enjoyed reading his PoV's, but I could not stand this guy's timidity. He was in way over his head.

I don't know. He did want Daenerys, which is partially why he decided to go through with it. Overall though it's certainly true. All he wanted was to go back to Dorne, marry the younger Yronwood girl (or was it another girl?) and hunt and hawk. But he's definitely like Doran in that he feels it's his obligation to do whatever he can for his people. He sent him their for Fire and Blood, and he's determined, to a point of madness even, to bring that back. He can't fail him because he'd also be failing Dorne.

Still, I can't help but think Doran wouldn't be as disappointed as Quentyn thought. He's a very reasonable man and I'm sure he would've understood had Quentyn told him "hey, she was already married when I got there and not long after she was carried off and most likely eaten by her dragon," or something like that. Not much to be done in a situation like that. So obviously he should've heeded Ser Grandfather, but then we wouldn't have gotten such a spectacular chapter (one of my favorites).

I do wonder though: could he have tamed Viserion had Rhaegal not interfered? I think it's likely...

• 3 weeks later...

I think Quentyn could have survived if he seriously manned up. You see throughout the chapter that he is not manning up at all, especially in the fight before entering the pit, where if drink didn't push him aside, he would have had his throat sliced, he was totally overcome by fear. It also didn't help that that STUPID Windblown shot a quarrel at the dragon. Even then, the best I could have hoped for was for him to get the dragons chained up, and let some Windblown get burned to death on the way to the rendeuvouz point. Even if he managed to do that, he STILL wouldn't be able to tame them. At this point other than Dany, I can only see Victarion Greyjoy taming a dragon by letting a sacrifice blow the horn.

The next chapter shows that Quentyn was mistaken to think it was as easy to tame a dragon as Dany made it up to be. Even Dany is unable to control them at this point. She even mentions in valyria they relied on ancient relics and glyphs and the such. Only one character in the series so far has access to this: Victarion.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Please be dead.

At this point I'm grateful for every character who dies and stays dead.

His purpose was obviously to set the dragons free and now that he has done that I don't see what else there is for him to do. Dany is definitely never going to marry him anyway.

First the Red Viper, now the Prince. George, why do you kill the Martells, why? Quentyn was a wonderful character, and I honestly thought he was going to make it out of there with one of the dragons, stupid me.

• 1 month later...

Ah, crap.

As usual, I have no idea why people hate Quentyn Martell so much. Okay, granted, that scene had me laughing once or twice (especially at the "Oh." - he might have said "Whoops." as well), but I still feel bad for him.

And balls to walls, who of you would have had the courage to ALMOST tame one of Daenerys' dragons? He's definitely not the smartest character in the story, but he does have balls, he definitely has determination once he's set his mind on something and he's not easily distracted from a goal. Yes, he was scared, but heck, who wouldn't be? Yes, it was suicidal, but so is Daenerys.

Shame he failed so epically, he somewhat had it coming, but still a shame. Makes me wonder what was the whole point of the story line? To set the dragons free? To piss Doran off? To reveal the "tattered prince"'s goals? Hrrrmmm.

• 3 weeks later...

Please be dead.

At this point I'm grateful for every character who dies and stays dead.

His purpose was obviously to set the dragons free and now that he has done that I don't see what else there is for him to do. Dany is definitely never going to marry him anyway.

Archived