[ADWD SPOILERS] The Queen's Hand

Xray the Enforcer

• 3 weeks later...

Barristan is so interesting. how can a man who once jousted against the prince of dragonflies, rescued the captive mad king from underneath the nose of a rebel lord, by himself, and killed maelys the monstrous in single combat thus ending the war of the ninepenny kings, be so absolutely innocently naive?

he's like John McClain meets Mother Theresa. He is your prototypical True Knight.

Barristan is so interesting. how can a man who once jousted against the prince of dragonflies, rescued the captive mad king from underneath the nose of a rebel lord, by himself, and killed maelys the monstrous in single combat thus ending the war of the ninepenny kings, be so absolutely innocently naive?

he's like John McClain meets Mother Theresa. He is your prototypical True Knight.

He's a warrior, not a politician.

As a warrior, there's probably no-one better to lead the attack on the Yunkish army.

It seems to me that Quentyn's death spells the end of any alliance between House Martell and Daenerys. Most likely Doran will ally himself with Connington and Aegon, the Prince's nephew. A most interesting development, no doubt.

I agree. I imagine it will be difficult for Connington to agree to a marriage though, but if blame is cast on Dany for Quentyn's death, he may just forget the plan to marry Aegon and Dany.

• 3 weeks later...

Still liking Barristan. He's a bit out of his depth with his duties, but he tries anyway. I hope his POV continues into the next book and that he survives the war in Mereen (I want a scene where he meets up with Tyrion, who just got the Second Sons to turn their cloaks again). Or at least gets an epic and heroic death scene where he saves someone.

I wonder why it is that Barristan did not know Tyrion when he was jousting with Penny in the fighting pit? I looked back... he was there for sure. Maybe he was too far away...

I really thought Barristan was going to get himself Ned Starked in these chapters, but he actually acquitted himself well as leader of a political coup. I'm hoping he evolves as a ruler in the next book, while Dany inevitably takes 15 chapters to make her way back to Mereen.

Ser Barristan's POV chapters were a well received addition to the series unlike some (Quentyn). Really looking forward to how he responds to the Yunkish and if he does die I hope it is a death that befits someone of his skill and honour. Also what in the seven hells possessed Quentyn to think he could tame dragons!!?! :bang:

Who will lead the Van? I expect it will be Selmy followed by a group of the Unsullied. It is probably also wise to have the sellswords and unsullied mixed on the flanks and use the unbloodied freedmen and brazen beasts as the infantry supported by archers. Of course, it would be nice if V & R decide to burn some Yunkish face.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I think the corpses are their attempt to get the bloody flux into the city to end the siege. It could be the hostages, though. If they are trying to infect Meereen with the flux they probably aren't going to be successful there since the battle is likely to ensue immediately anyway.

Archived