1 Book Per Season?

Lucreel

I'm curious how the series is paced? I believe I saw somewhere that the first Season was only 10 Episodes. I think a lot of TV shows are 18-24 episodes per season. I can't imagine how they can possibly fit the first book into ten eps.? Or, is the first season only like the first 1/4 of GoT (the book)?

I know a lot of times with TV shows, the first season is sort of a ratings trial, and will be very short. Going forward, is HBO going to produce longer seasons (like 14-18 Episodes)? Is the production of this show such that it takes much longer time to produce each episode than it would most other TV shows (I mean, obviously when you are talking about high-production shows with a lot of sets, costumes, characters, etc, it takes longer to produce than sitcoms, reality TV, and the like, but I wonder how long it takes to produce an episode of a series like this)?

The majority of HBO shows don't go past 13 per season. Quantity is traded for quality. In the case of GoT, I believe S2 has been confirmed to have 10 episodes again. This is likely due to the shows very large budget. Hopefully by S3 it can be expanded to the more typical 12 or 13.

The first season covers the whole first book in 10 episodes. The second season will do the same for ACOK. It's once they get to ASOS that the formula will change, since it's considerably longer. I've read that Benioff and Weiss want to stick to 10 episode seasons, and GRRM thinks that ASOS will need to be two seasons. I reckon they could do the first two thirds or so in season 3, and finish it off in season 4 along with the beginnings of the AFFC and ADWD storylines. Of course, those two novels will need to be recombined for the tv show.

10 hours was pretty decent to cover the story of AGOT. They got nearly all of the plot in there. It felt a little too fast paced at times and they could have used a bit more time with some of the characters, but overall it was quite an achievement. Perhaps 12 episodes might have given them the time to really dig into the story a little more. Season 2 might feel a little more rushed because ACOK is slightly longer, but there are things in there that they could cut down. On the other hand they might be tempted to bring a few ASOS chapters forward into season 2 to give some characters who don't have so much to do in ACOK a little more Season 2 screen time.

I agree we may see some shuffling around. ACOK 1 season, ASOS 2 seasons with second season having some parts from AFFC. AFFC and ADWD 2 seasons combined but split chronologically, not geographically.

Not quite same but same thing happened with LOTR. Endings of books and movies don't match up (FOTR movie ends up partially in TT books while ROTK movie begins toward end of TT book). Plus instead of having TT and ROTK neatly divided between parts of Fellowship as two separate parts as in books they mixed scenes, having them in chronological order.

Since ADWD explains some parts of AFFC merging them together would make for easier watching.

Since ADWD explains some parts of AFFC merging them together would make for easier watching.

I alluded to this in a previous thread. Granted, I took some imaginative liberties; yet, my ramblings about the lengths of future seasons and the amalgam of AFFC/ADWD might actually play out this way. That is, of course, *if* the series has the viewership and financial backing to make a fourth run. I believe it will.

With ASOS they could easily split it into two seasons. For UK publishing it was split into two books and they seemed to flow well.

The problem with combining AFOC and ADAD is resolving cliffhangers/suspense. And also that people know enough at the end of one season and they remember it from last.

Is it going to be one season a year? Does that put GRRM under pressure to have the last two books out within the next five years?

• 2 weeks later...

One season per book will probably mean we won't see the conclusion of the saga on TV. Even the best dramas (comedies are different) struggle to retain an audience for longer than 4 seasons. These tend to be very mainstream like ER. If I were at HBO central I'd seriously consider making a 24 episode season for season three which would pull together ASOS and most of ADWD/AFFC. I'd do the same with season 4 as well, combining ADWD/AFFC with the Winds of Winter. That would leave A Dream of Spring for season 5. I might be misreading how much of a phenomenon GoT will become, my heart just sinks when I think it probably won't be seen through to its conclusion.

There is absolutely no reason to split up Feast and Dance. That can easily fit into one season.

Oz got a 16 episode season. D&D hinted at needing more than one season for Storm, so I can see them getting about 16 instead, split into two 8 episode showings over the course of a year.

Archived