Erikson: The Bonehunters

Werthead

So I thought I'd start up a thread about the new Erikson MBF book. Okay, it's not out yet (apart from in Sweden, apparently), but what's the harm in a little speculation before the book comes out?

One interesting revelation is the maps in the book. There are three: one of Seven Cities, one of Quon Tali and

SPOILER: TBH
one of Malaz City.
The Seven Cities and Quon Tali maps are more detailed than the previous ones to appear. Y'Ghatan has been added to the Seven Cities map and the Quon Tali map apparently has a lot more detail, such as Itko Kan and the Wickan Plains and so forth.

If you want to see Steven Erikson and Ian Cameron Esslemon's hand-drawn map of the spoilered location above, check this thread:

http://www.malazanempire.com/forums/showth...ted=1#post65306

This book is proving to be the most interesting in the series so far as it apparently brings together all three of the previous disparate storylines (Onearm's Host on Genabackis; the Whirlwind on Seven Cities; and the Tiste Edur machinations on Lether). It also marks the end of the series' focus on the Malazan Empire. The remaining four novels will be set outside the Empire (although I'd guess they continue to involve Empire characters).

SPOILER: Remaining Books' Locations
Reaper's Gale takes us back to Lether, whilst Toll the Hounds will take place on Genabackis. Dust of Dreams and The Crippled God will take place in new locations previously not seen in the series, but NOT Korelri or Assail, which will be explored in ICE's forthcoming novels.

That's all I got for now.

One week to go, and I can't bloody wait. Hurry up, people, and get it into the shops! I want it delivered to my door on my birthday.

I'm rereading Deadhouse Gates in preparation at the moment (not going to have enough time to read House of Chains too), and I just wanted to ask a question. I've got to the part where Heboric et al discover the Silanda. When Stormy gets injured, Heboric heals him, and Kulp says some power on the edge of madness entered Stormy at that time. I assume this comes from the Jade Giant Heboric touched earlier? Or is it from the Otataral? And will Stormy descend into madness later? I hope he returns in the Bonehunters with Gesler and Truth.

When Stormy gets injured, Heboric heals him, and Kulp says some power on the edge of madness entered Stormy at that time. I assume this comes from the Jade Giant Heboric touched earlier? Or is it from the Otataral?

IIRC, he's touched/healed by Heboric's Fener-touched ghost-hand, not the Christmas ghost-hand (red Otataral and green jade statue). Stormy was Boar Cult and Fener was running scared (on the verge of madness?) and trying to hide at that point, so I wondered if Fener, or some part of Fener, hadn't seized upon that connection and opportunity and taken refuge in Stormy. Who knows, though. Might've just been some of that Chaos that'd knocked Fener from his perch.

Oh, and I hate you Swedes. :P

It's on Malazanempire about the book being out in Sweden.

http://www.malazanempire.com/forums/showth...p?t=4147&page=2

Some place called SFbokhandeln has it in stock RIGHT NOW and it can also be ordered from

www.ueb.se

All good stuff. If you're in the UK then it might be an idea to start scanning bookshelves. Both A Feast for Crows and Knife of Dreams came out 7-14 days before their supposed release dates over here so The Bonehunters might slip out early as well.

Some place called SFbokhandeln has it in stock RIGHT NOW and it can also be ordered from

www.ueb.se

This is potentially a seriously stupid question, but... is the book they're selling a Swedish translation?

Edit: UEB is indeed selling the UK English edition (as UEB=Uppsala English Bookshop, that's maybe not terribly surprising ;)), but apparently not in hardcover.

Got the book yesterday. . .

Since there were people wondering about the number of pages because of disparate information on the different amazon websites, I can confirm that the novel contains 891 pages.

Don't worry, it won't be long till you get this babe in your hands! :P

Patrick

I'm far more excited about this book than I was about feast, possibly because I know momentus events are going to occur.

I went into Waterstones yesterday, they didn't have it and seemed pretty certain that they wouldn't be selling it before the 1st. :cry: I'll try Borders tomorrow.

It's funny. I was in town yesterday and stopped by the SF Bokhandel, and the owner was just putting copies of the book on the shelves. I grabbed one from him and gave it a flip-through (and, I admit, I peeked at the very end -- more about that later.) Didn't buy it, though, as I'm sticking to paperbacks. I am hopeful this'll be better than the last couple of books.

About the end:

SPOILER: The Bonehunters
Have we known that Tayschreen chats with Shadowthrone on occasion and calls him, 'Emperor', and that Shadowthrone is upset over what happened to his 'loyal Wickans'?

Obviously Scandanavia is turning into the centrepiece of the SF&F world! I think they had KoD for ages before official release as well! I checked Waterstones yesterday and they seemed adamant that they wouldn't be able to put the book out before Wednesday (although in practice that means it might go out Tuesday afternoon ready for the next day). Smiths has drastically reduced its hardback section so I doubt they'll get it, but the local independents look more hopeful, as they had KoD and AFFC for a good week or two before the release date.

Still undecided to go for hardback or trade paperback though. I'll see what edition they have in stock.

A more careful examination reveals that A Storm of Swords is indeed longer than The Bonehunters, but it's still one hell of a big book (I've always had the 924-page-figure for ASoS in my head and assumed that was including appendices, whilst actually it isn't). Interesting that TBH is longer than Memories of Ice although it's page count is slightly lower. Wonder if they used a smaller font? As I only have Memories of Ice in mass-market paperback it's difficult to check.

As for Ran's question

SPOILER: Malazan Book of the Fallen

There is a growing feeling in the books that Kellanvad and Dancer were plotting to ascend to occupy the Shadow Throne, possibly as the impending release of the Crippled God was known ahead of time. In House of Chains Dancer pretty much explicitly says he has no ill-will towards Laseen, possibly suggesting the 'murder' was a set-up to allow Laseen to succeed Kellanvad, giving her a stronger base of power than simply being appointed to succeed him. The only problem with this is that Kellanvad still harbours murderous intentions towards her, which could be a side-effect of his obvious insanity. So Tayschrenn is either a traitor, simply nostalgic for the old times (as Kellanvad cannot become Emperor again whilst an Ascendant as the other Ascendants and gods wouldn't stand for it and destroy him), or the whole thing was a set-up. And no, before this we didn't know that Tayschrenn chats to Shadowthrone. I wonder if Shadowthrone was referring to the Chain of Dogs or if something horrible happens to the remaining Wickans with Tavore's army? Or even back on the Wickan Plains themselves?

Archived