Major League Baseball

Paxter

Apparently they don't own the NL East, though :P

Only in the playoffs. :smoking:

ETA: And when one of our 4 good pitchers start instead of Zito. (When I responded to this initially I thought Lincecum had started. lol Zito.)

And it's all over red rover for the Rays this season. Now 10.5 games back in AL East, with the Yanks and BoSox both looking certainties for the post-season. I suppose it was too much to hope for a repeat of last season after losing nearly all of our relievers and two key offensive players (Crawford and Pena) in the off-season. Really it's a case of hats off to Maddon for making it look possible for a couple of months.

I might have to choose a NL team to support in the meantime...thinking of jumping on the Pittsburgh bandwagon!

Thank the gods, Teahan is gone. Hated that signing, never liked him even when he was on KC - he never fit in on this roster, he always seemed like the odd man out. Oh and I wanted to punch him in his Ray Liotta face. I'm sad to see Edwin Jackson go - he ate up a lot of innings, and although at times inconsistent his stuff was awesome to watch when he was on. Understandable salary dump though - and I like the two pitchers we got from Toronto.

Word is Jackson may end up on the Cards eventually. Hope he does well!

I can't believe the Cards traded Rasmus. From the outside, it just looks ridiculous. How can you give up on a 24 year old who had all the tools and just last year had a .276/.361/.498? Sure, that was with an outlier BABIP, but still. That seems like a classic change of scenery where the original team will regret giving up on him.

The Jays GM is some kind of wizard.

And in an another entry in the list of "how crazy baseball is" Ervin Santana just pitched one of the best no hitters I've ever seen and it wasn't even a shutout.

9.0 0 1 0 1 10

ETA: Looking at Jackson's numbers, he's not even that good. He's having a solid year this year, but a little regression analysis suggests that this guy is average at best. Maybe Duncan will improve him a bit as he seems to do so often.

This move feels more bizarre the more I think about it. I can totally understand if the Cardinals felt that they needed to part with Rasmus. I just would have thought we could have gotten more for him than this.

Didn't the Cardinals get a 4.8 fWAR season out of Joel Pineiro a few years back? Edwin Jackson looks like a better pitcher, he's underperforming his FIP this year (though I feel like, but have no stats to back it up, that the Cardinals are even worse than the White Sox defensively) and I feel like his early season struggles can be attributed to BABIP and his fastball velocity being down a bit. I actually thought he might be a good target for the Red Sox as he's likely going to be a Type B free agent and that would offset whatever modest prospect bounty they would have given up. He wouldn't have been assured of performing well in the AL East (though the Red Sox defense would have helped him out), but to go from a bad division like the AL Central to a pretty awful one like the NL Central where he'll get to face the two worst teams in MLB (and he's facing one of them Friday night!) regularly, and that has series left against two other bad offensive teams (the Dodgers and the Pirates)... I don't know, I wouldn't be surprised by an ERA in the low 3s.

I could be wrong, though. Reasonable assurance is hard to find, but that's why baseball is fun.

All of that said, I think we're better for the rest of this year than we would have been without the deal. Our four pitchers in the playoffs could be Carpenter, Garcia, Lohse, and Jackson. All of them have ERA's under 4. It's not Philadelphia's staff to be sure, but it's formidable.

I'd still consider it the weakest among the top four NL contenders.

Apparently they don't own the NL East, though :P

*coughcoughserieswoncough*

ETA: Watching Baseball Tonight on ESPN. When did Curt Schilling retire? He looks like he's been retired for 15 years.

Edit2: Wow. Every game that I cared about today was won by the team I wanted to win.

*coughcoughserieswoncough*

ETA: Watching Baseball Tonight on ESPN. When did Curt Schilling retire? He looks like he's been retired for 15 years.

Edit2: Wow. Every game that I cared about today was won by the team I wanted to win.

Ugh, Detroit gets light up like a Christmas tree. At least there's something to look forward to Sunday: Verlander vs Weaver, with heavy, heavy AL CY implications

Yeah, looking into the deal now, I have very mixed feelings. Jackson should help us immediately, and losing Rasmus won't hurt this year too much with Berkman and the emergence of Jon Jay, and the inclusion of Paterson in the deal. But Rasmus still has a lot of potential, Jackson is a free agent after this season, and Berkman's health is a little iffy.

I think the rift between Rasmus and La Russa had something to do with this. I'm going to hate it if he emerges to be an all-star in the future, but it has felt somewhat like the well was poisoned with this one.

The question I have now is what we do with our pitching staff. My best guess is that we move Jackson into the starting lineup and move McClellan back into the pen. That could really help.

ETA: Looking at Jackson's numbers, he's not even that good. He's having a solid year this year, but a little regression analysis suggests that this guy is average at best. Maybe Duncan will improve him a bit as he seems to do so often.

This move feels more bizarre the more I think about it. I can totally understand if the Cardinals felt that they needed to part with Rasmus. I just would have thought we could have gotten more for him than this.

Jackson has unreal stuff, some of the best in baseball when it's on. Unfortunately, he has outings with terrible control. I think he had like seven walks or something in his no-hitter. Still, when he's hot...watch out. Last season he was pretty much the ace of the pretty good Sox staff. This year, pretty hit or miss. Still, loads and loads of potential for him.

I admit that I haven't seen a lot of him, but this is enticing. I know it's cliche, but Dave Duncan really has had a lot of success with taking pitchers from other squads and making them better.

The thing with this deal is still that Jackson is a free agent after this year. The deal almost certainly improves our chances this year, but I doubt we keep him even if he has a nice year from this stage onward.

That's what they say of Don Cooper, the Sox pitching coach - and it seemed to be the case with Jackson, who came over from the NL and dominated everyone last year. However, this year has had its trials. Still, he's been at least average - sometimes lights out. You did not get a lemon, unless he regresses. But yeah, I think one of the reasons he was easily tradeable was his free agency. However, same goes for Mark Buehrle, although he practically has no-trade rights (he would definitely wave that for the Cards though, his hometown team).

Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal

Sources: #Phillies close to acquiring #Astros' Pence. Deal expected to be completed tonight. #tradedeadline #MLB

1 hour ago

Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal

Source: #Astros will get Singleton, Cosart and 2 players to be named from #Phillies for Pence. PTBN not major prospects #tradedeadline #MLB

1 hour ago

Mariners trade starter Fister, and reliever Pauly for Tigers outfielder Casper Wells, reliever Charlie Furbush, third-base prospect Francisco Martinez and a player to be named,

I dislike the trade that the Mariners made. Getting rid of Fister and Pauly will likely weaken our pitching. I mean, Fister was a good pitcher when he got some damn run support, and Pauly was the best reliever we had. I guess we have Beavan so he'll just take over Fister's spot.

Oh well, now maybe with this acquisition we can replace Figgins full time at third.

The Orioles just robbed the Rangers blind. Uehara for Chris Davis and Tommy Hunter???

Sure, Koji's been great this year. And both Davis and Hunter aren't as touted as they once were, but wow. A 36-year old setup man for two excellent 'dice roll' types of players. If the Padres had gotten those two guys for Heath Bell I'd be thrilled.

Archived