Major League Baseball

Paxter

The Reds cannot be counted out yet. The NL Central is a four-team race at this point. Giants are not helping at the moment! Step it up!

Relax. It's only the Reds. You should be more worried that the Cards and Giants meet in the playoffs. :smoking:

if I'm right about the wild card rules, it's almost certain that SF will play Atlanta in the first round.

You are correct. The one seed cannot play the WC team if they are in the same division.

And when STL beats Philly and SF beats ATL, again, we shall meet. It will be glorious.

Damn it Damn it Damn it.

The Rockies trade Jimenez to the Indians for who the hell cares. Best pitcher they ever had, only 27 years old. Maybe the best PLAYER they have ever had (I have always though Helton was a product of the steroid era).

I am so pissed right now i cant see strait. He was the ONLY untouchable for me, and there he goes.

I'm just glad the Mariners won today.

I'm a little less displeased with the Fister Pauly trade, but we do need bats and it seems that we will be getting some promising batters, although judging by history, the second they get to Seattle they'll forget everything they know about hitting

I'm not at all excited about Cabrera. Another aging SS with no range and a .244 average? We didn't need another Tejada. I'd just as soon see Crawford out there despite his bat. I wish Sabean would make a play for Ramon Hernandez.

Hitting a buck nintey doesn't fly. I think that if Crawford had hit even .225 he'd still be in the majors.

Red Sox got Erik Bedard and Josh Fields in a three team deal, they gave up Tim Federowicz, Stephen Fife, Juan Rodriguez and Chih-Hsien Chiang, first three went to LA for Trayvon Robinson who went to Seattle with Chiang.

Interesting trade, at least for the Red Sox and the Mariners. The Sox didn't give up a ton, Federowicz is blocked by Saltalamacchia and Lavarnway and he's only putting up a .730 OPS in AA. Fife and Rodriguez are pretty marginal, I'd never even heard Rodriguez's name until this trade. For Jack Z to get Robinson, who is one of the better prospects in the Dodgers system (.938 OPS and 26 HRs in AAA) and Chiang (who is putting up a .338/.399/.647 line with 18 HRs in AA) for Bedard who woudln't have netted any draft compensation is a pretty decent haul.

This makes me glad the Harden deal fell apart (though, I suppose they could have acquired both and just taken Wakefield and Miller out of the rotation) as they're both injury risks, but Bedard is clearly a better pitcher when healthy. I'm not familiar with Fields, I know he was a high draft pick, but just a glance at his stats shows that he's a 26 year old in AA who strikes people out, but has terrible control. Lottery ticket, I suppose.

The Reds smoked the Giants again today. I don't like this. And the Brewers get to play the Astros who are completely depleted with Pence and Bourne gone.

It's just one of those things. Sometimes it just seems like the Reds have the Giants number. MadBum and Vogelsong had bad days. Beltran is trying to act like a Giant hitter. He'll get bored with that and try to act like Beltran again soon enough. But really, today was a Giants win.

You're probably wondering why I would say this. I say this because Barry Zito proved beyond a doubt what most of us already knew. He's toast. Done. Finito. He may never, and should never, start a game for the Giants again. You don't have a change-up if your FB is 83 mph. His gorgeous 12-6 curve is long gone. And even with the junk he has left he can't even pitch low.

We are now looking at an 18 million dollar long reliever/BP pitcher. And as stupid as that sounds, it's still a huge improvement for this team.

Trisk-

I know you are a Cards fan, so I am curious as to your reaction to last nights beanings and also Molina.

I have been reading on the MLB comments section....but you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy in all the universe. And I mean that for both sides.

Ty

I was watching the game and as a not so impartial observer it was pretty shitty.

Saito hit Pujols with two on and the Brewers up by just a run. It was clearly an accident and Lucroy (Brewers underrated catcher) was clearly concerned about him when he went down.

Braun on the other hand got an outside pitch, then an inside pitch and then a pitch to the middle of the back. It was clearly intentional and Molina's first reaction was to step in front of Braun to protect his pitcher.

I get protecting your star player, but Albert hasn't been tearing the Brewers up this year and there was absolutely no intent there. I am just happy they didn't throw at Brauns head.

Molina will be gone for more than one I think. He bumped the umpire at least twice and totally spit in his face. It was really strange to because the pitch was right down the middle. I mean it was belt high, right down the center of the plate and he just lost it.

It was not a full in the face Alomar spit, but to me and even my fiancee thought it looked pretty damn deliberate. Though he was one sweaty guy for sure. The MLB will have to decide I guess.

Video:

http://www.businessinsider.com/yadier-molina-spit-umpire-2011-8

EDIT: The part that gets me the most is how down the middle that pitch was. Why would you even argue about it?

EDIT: The part that gets me the most is how down the middle that pitch was. Why would you even argue about it?

When I see a catcher in an argument with a home plate umpire, I pretty much guess they've been disagreeing all game long. This is probably more about Yadier believing that his pitchers were not getting that call all night and now it is being made against him. I can't really understand the anger over one call unless there is more to the story.

It's entirely possible he was just violating the age old rule of "say it, don't spray it" - not so much intentionally trying to spit in the umpire's face as he was just in the middle of screaming and some spittle flew out in the process. I would believe that. He never really stops the tirade. Whatever came out just probably came out.

Still, if the umpire has to wipe his face - to say nothing of all the bumping - that's probably a fairly long time out.

As a solid Brewers fan (bias admitted upfront) I thought the incident was pretty disgusting. The Pujols HBP was clearly an accident, while the Braun beaning was clearly on purpose. Ridiculous. Not only was it petty it was so unbelievably stupid ... this is really the sort of crap that makes it hard to be a baseball fan.

Then Molina takes what was an obvious strike three - not even a remotely controversial call - and completely loses his shit. I think the "spitting" was probably a "say it don't spray it" moment - dude was seriously heated - but bumping the ump several times in the confrontation should lead to a hefty fine and suspension. I'm glad it won't take effect for a while though as he's handed us a couple of runs on a silver platter today, allowing us to rest K-Rod and Axford.

Archived