Major League Baseball

Paxter

I'm very pleased with how the Mariners played in the series against the A's, The bats are delivering, we're getting hits in the key moments which the Mariners were having trouble doing earlier this season. I will say that although I was less than pleased with the Fister Pauly trade I'm very happy about how Wells has been playing, and Furbrush pitched really well today.

Oh, and I don't know who all say Brenden Ryan's little base running adventure yesterday, sadly he wasn't credited with a triple or two stolen bases but instead with a single with the runner advancing to third on a fielder choice. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I don't know who all say Brenden Ryan's little base running adventure yesterday, sadly he wasn't credited with a triple or two stolen bases but instead with a single with the runner advancing to third on a fielder choice. :rolleyes:

Calling that a triple would be an insult to triple-hitters. He beat out a ground ball and took advantage of boneheaded defense. Even a Little League scorekeeper knows better than calling that a triple.

Holy shit was it nice to see Casey hit three today...

OMG no kidding. How does someone, in the 2nd half of the season, suddenly wake up with HR's #6, 7, and 8 all in the same game? The slump that man has been in has been unreal. Particularly with Weeks out we need someone reliable to fill the 5-hole if we want to make a legit playoff run, and today provided the first glimmer of hope in a long time that Casey might yet be up to the task. Hopefully this wasn't just a blip and can jump-start his hitting confidence, because he's been a sore spot all year (though to be fair, he's been warming up to this point for the entirety of the homestand).

All three of those pitches were complete meatballs, true, but those were the exact sorts of pitches he'd been converting into pop-ups all season.

Now we just need Craig to get a hit.

Calling that a triple would be an insult to triple-hitters. He beat out a ground ball and took advantage of boneheaded defense. Even a Little League scorekeeper knows better than calling that a triple.

At the same time, its not like the fielders decided to not get him out, so to call it a fielders choice would be just as wrong in my opinion.

At the same time, its not like the fielders decided to not get him out, so to call it a fielders choice would be just as wrong in my opinion.

What would be your alternative? That was an incredibly heady play by your man, but to score it as a triple would be silly.

Steals wouldn't make sense either as it was the fielders choice to not cover any bases. A stupid choice, but there we are.

ETA: The fielders DID choose do not get him out by not covering their positions. Have you ever played this game?

The choice the fielders made was to not cover the base. Fielder's choice is a general scoring category that covers many other mental mistakes as well. If a fielder throws the ball to third with a runner on second but not on first and the runner isn't going, that is the proper scoring decision. If the fielder held the ball rather than throwing it for some brain freeze reason when there was plenty of time to make the play, the official scorer would make the same call.

I disagree with my esteemed colleague LoB about asking whether you've ever played the game. But I do wonder if you've ever been an official scorekeeper. These are standard decisions with generally accepted outcomes. I was an avid scorekeeper at baseball games from the time I was seven years old. I used to have an old game program in which I'd kept score and one of the players was Willie Mays. This would have been 1973 and I was nine - he was playing for the Mets.

The choice the fielders made was to not cover the base. Fielder's choice is a general scoring category that covers many other mental mistakes as well. If a fielder throws the ball to third with a runner on second but not on first and the runner isn't going, that is the proper scoring decision. If the fielder held the ball rather than throwing it for some brain freeze reason when there was plenty of time to make the play, the official scorer would make the same call.

I disagree with my esteemed colleague LoB about asking whether you've ever played the game. But I do wonder if you've ever been an official scorekeeper. These are standard decisions with generally accepted outcomes. I was an avid scorekeeper at baseball games from the time I was seven years old. I used to have an old game program in which I'd kept score and one of the players was Willie Mays. This would have been 1973 and I was nine - he was playing for the Mets.

Ok, see that makes a bit more sense if its just kind of a general catch all term for things that aren't already covered.

To be perfectly honest, I only played a couple of year of little league growing up, I've never done any scoring, and for a period of time I stopped paying attention to baseball all together (being a Mariners fan can get really depressing, soul crushing even, but I was too loyal to root for another team), so I'm sure you all trump me in both experience and knowledge of the game.

Jacoby Ellsbury really is turning into a goddamn superstar for the Red Sox. I always thought of him as just an above average defender who was really fast and could steal a lot (which is itself pretty good); but nope. Turns out he can also hit for average and power. I just hope the Sox are willing to shell out the money to re-sign him in the offseason after the massive payday they gave to Carl Crawford didn't exactly pan out.

Ah yes. The general "fielder's choice". So easy to use, so proper. Even if we all know the best way to score some mental lapses as "errors", though they don't fit the technical definition of an "error".

Ah yes. The general "fielder's choice". So easy to use, so proper. Even if we all know the best way to score some mental lapses as "errors", though they don't fit the technical definition of an "error".

But in this case, to whom would you assign the 'error'. To the shortstop or the second baseman? Do you really assign the error to a third baseman who doesn't cover third when the runner is at first and one (or more) of his teammates screws up? You don't normally get an error for 'failure to anticipate a teammate's error'.

Jacoby Ellsbury really is turning into a goddamn superstar for the Red Sox. I always thought of him as just an above average defender who was really fast and could steal a lot (which is itself pretty good); but nope. Turns out he can also hit for average and power. I just hope the Sox are willing to shell out the money to re-sign him in the offseason after the massive payday they gave to Carl Crawford didn't exactly pan out.

I have to agree with this. I never thought of him as an offensive threat of this magnitude. I always thought he was a scrappy player that was good, but not great. Boy I guess I was wrong.

It can't hurt hitting in that line-up or in the park though, but still....

But in this case, to whom would you assign the 'error'. To the shortstop or the second baseman? Do you really assign the error to a third baseman who doesn't cover third when the runner is at first and one (or more) of his teammates screws up? You don't normally get an error for 'failure to anticipate a teammate's error'.

I can't say specifically in this case, Bronn, however mental errors that allow runners extra bases to be taken would be cleaned up some if they were being counted against players...

I can't say specifically in this case, Bronn, however mental errors that allow runners extra bases to be taken would be cleaned up some if they were being counted against players...

They are counted. Just not by MLB. The teams remember. The kangaroo courts remember. If the A's don't have one, they should.

They are counted. Just not by MLB. The teams remember. The kangaroo courts remember. If the A's don't have one, they should.

Maybe, but like Bob Brenly, I believe there does need to be some form of scored error for such occurences...

Molina got five games. Fuck. Not what we need right now. The Brewers are about to play Houston minus their two best players, and we're going up against a respectable Marlins team.

I feel your pain Trisk,but I am still excited for the upcoming series for the Brewers. I know they have sucked on the road, but if they can't beat a Astros team that is down to AA players I fear for their season.

Gallardo, Narveson and Greinke in the series. Should be 2 of 3 at the least and Narveson has been pitching really well lately and pretty good for the entire season. 8-8 with a 4.43 ERA isn't TERRIBLE for a 5th starter, but I think most telling is he has not missed a single start all year.

Hey, I'd be pretty excited if I were you guys. You're in a good spot. We won tonight to cut it down by a half a game, but I'd still project you guys to win more than us over the next three days.

Doing my darnedest to be objective, I still think that St. Louis looks like a stronger squad on paper than The Good Land does. But something just feels wrong about this year. We just lose more games than a team that leads the league in offense and has very solid starting pitching should. It's partly our crap bullpen, but we just have a knack for distributing runs in a bad way. We win by six one day and lose by one the next.

I still maintain that the Pirates and Reds cannot be counted out, but I do think that the smart money is that it will come down to a race between St. Louis and Milleywalkay.

After watching this last series you guys do have a killer lineup. With Frucal leading off and then that middle...it is scary as hell.

Especially comparing it to the Brewers. It is tough to beat Braun and Fielder, but I think you guys do with Pujols, Holiday and Berkman. Missing Weeks has really hurt us because...well because Weeks is awesome.

I like our pitching staff and I like our bullpen. Greinke is getting hot and pitching like he should and Axe and K-Rod have been pretty awesome together so far. That shortens a game right up. Come play offs (assuming we get there) a rotation of Greinke-Marcum-Gallardo-Wolfe looks pretty damn tough to me.

Anyway I am super excited to see how all this plays out. There is still a ton of baseball to go and we play you guys a bunch more. Also we play the Phillys as the last series of the season...hopefully by then they will have everything locked up and just playing for the lols.

K-Rod has been good for you guys, but Dotel and Coach K both sucked donkey balls for us tonight. Now, we're still stronger in the pen after our trade because we moved Kyle McClellan back into middle relief. That alone should really help us.

I don't wish injury on anyone (besides Zambrano), but I'm sort of relieved that Weeks is down. That's a potent weapon you don't have at the moment.

Technically you didn't wish injury on him, you just wished him to stay hurt.

That said he is the toughest mother fucker in the world. Word is he should be back in 7-10 days.

How tough is he? Guy took a fastball to the face. Fell down, got up, walked to first and stayed in the game.

I don't know if you saw his injury but I thought he broke his ankle. It was pretty graphic. And now he could be out for less than 20 days? Amazing.

I think Pujols is also a tough fella though. Coming back from the wrist injury so fast was amazing.

I hope that didn't sound like I was in some way happy about the painful injury that Ricky Weeks had to endure. I was purely intending to talk about how your good team would be even better with him. I like Weeks a lot. He was a great draft pick who panned out. So many in baseball do not.

Oh I wasn't thinking like that. I was just excited to get a chance to talk about how tough Weeks is. It has to be tough to be that guy. He is terribly under rated by everyone. If he was on the Red Sox or Phillys or Yankees the dude would be a household name.

Probably not doing to many commercials as he is a TERRIBLE public speaker, but a star.

Archived