[ADWD Spoilers] Lord Manderly

I'm happy someone finally made a Lord Manderly thread! He, along with Roose, Theon, and Barristan, flat out stole the book.

"The North remembers" and "This mummer's farce is nearly done" and the Frey pies were the highlight of the entire book for me. Chills baby.

It also gave me my favorite moment... Roose peeking over at Menderly and nibbling at his food only after the fat man had gorged on it. Hahahaha! The only man smart enough to see Manderly could hatch a scheme, but not even he can see how stone cold the fat lord is. Brilliant.

What are the Manderly words? I want a Manderly motto T-shirt.

"you want freys with that shake?"

edit:

awww, just saw someone beat me to it. But joking aside, Manderley's badassery was a sweet revelation to me. Fat man rocks.

Manderly makes it clear that the Lannisters have the gold but he has the silver. He also knows more about the red wedding than the freys and boltons thinks he does. He, like his granddaughter are die hard Stark supporters and he has been building ships for a year and amassing an army including the largest contingent of heavy horse in the north. When it comes down, he will do all to wipe out the Boltons and bring battle to the freys while carrying the banner for his beloved leige lords - The Starks. I love him. I also love the way he laughs and says yeah, I am fat, amusing, funny, yayaya, but I am not stupid. I am rich and I, like the North, do not forget.

This.

So I wondered why it hardly came up. You're not raising an army for nothing and - especially living in the north when winter's coming - not for long. It's hard to keep them fed and paid. Here's what I think:

- Stannis got the Braavosi's message and got rid of the Karstarks, thus having their provisions.

- Manderley's troops got rid of most of the Freys while riding out from Winterfell, joining Stannis.

- Manderley's ships brought his other troops and especially more provisions up the river (white fork, is it?, he mentioned controlling it and most Lords along the way).

- They can lay siege to Winterfell, being provisioned by ships

What I don't know:

- where did the Umbers come from, outside of Winterfell?

- Where's Roose Bolton? Certainly he's not around Ramsay, or that letter to Jon would've never been written.

Im lost here.. I must have missed it, but where does it say that those are Frey Pies? Or is that juts something everyone is assuming?

You know those three 'pork' pies that he was serving so merrily at the wedding feast?

You know those three Freys that 'mysteriously vanished' on the way to Winterfell?

You know that Rat Cook song that Manderly asked for after he got drunk?

Im lost here.. I must have missed it, but where does it say that those are Frey Pies? Or is that juts something everyone is assuming?

You've missed it.

Davos III. Manderly tells davos he's after revenge and then he asks about guest gifts ie presents given to mark the end of a guests stay (& therefore of guest right)

Reek III(?) ramsey returns to Barrowton after having been out searching for the missing three freys. Roose outlines that it's understandable that the Freys travelled on ahead rather than travel at Manderly's slow pace.

Reek IV(?) wedding feast at winterfell. Manderly provides three wedding pies and everybody notes how he cuts and serves the slices personally to the lords on the high table. The best pie you'll ever eat he tells them. Reek goes past him and hears Manderly in his cups asking for the song about the Rat King - we had that story before in a Bran chapter, a King of the Andels killed and cooked another King's sons and served them up as dinner ...

So we can be sure that when Manderly and the Freys left White Harbour, Manderly gave the freys the guest gifts before witnesses. Their protection under guest right was therefore at an end. the freys were then seized, killed and butchered. The remains of the three freys were then cooked in the wedding pies and served up to the other freys and the Boltons as revenge for the red wedding.

Indeed.

Here's a question: How many of you saw exactly what was going on when Manderly sentenced Davos in front of some Freys? I tend to just read and not ponder things to much until afterwards, so my reaction at the time was kind of like "Crap. How is Davos going to get out of this one."

In hindsight I'm wondering how obvious it was that it was a show.

I was certain that that was the end of Davos even before reading. I thought that he would die in ADWD considering the fact that we knew from AFFC that Wyman showed the Frey’s his severed head - and more importantly – his hands missing fingers.

Consequently Wymans speech had me totally convinced.

He played me, hands down.

But regarding the missing fingers though; Would it not be fairly easy to see if the fingers were freshly chopped, and not injuries inflicted years past`?

I would imagine that only if the body was in an advanced state of decay, one would not be able to notice the difference. And if I remember it correctly that was not the case.

Is there a medical doctor (or serial killer) on the board who could perhaps shed some light on this matter?

What I don't know:

- where did the Umbers come from, outside of Winterfell?

Evidently there is some division in House Umber. One brother is leading a small host in service to Bolton, mostly because the Greatjon is still held hostage by the Freys. After he left though, the other brother was approached by Stannis and agreed to join him with whatever remaining force was left in Last Hearth. Being used to the Northern conditions, they got to Winterfell before Stannis (they were supposed to meet up there). Should be interesting to see how that plays out... Will Umber fight Umber? Or does Bolton have another knife besides Manderleys waiting to stab him in the back.

I came away from the book thinking that Wyman Manderly was a bigger pimp than Littlefinger. Then I came on here and had the Frey pies pointed out to me and my mind well and truly blown. Manderly is a beast and a half in all the best ways.

This does illustrate one of the most entertaining aspects of ASoIaF. We have a guy murder three people who had just been staying with him as guests, cook them and feed them to members of their own family, then taunt those same family members about one of their young children being brutally murdered... And this makes him the biggest hero of the entire book.

I came away from the book thinking that Wyman Manderly was a bigger pimp than Littlefinger. Then I came on here and had the Frey pies pointed out to me and my mind well and truly blown. Manderly is a beast and a half in all the best ways.

This does illustrate one of the most entertaining aspects of ASoIaF. We have a guy murder three people who had just been staying with him as guests, cook them and feed them to members of their own family, then taunt those same family members about one of their young children being brutally murdered... And this makes him the biggest hero of the entire book.

This is how grim the world george r martin has created - the biggest hero in the book is a child murderer and cannibal.

Evidently there is some division in House Umber. One brother is leading a small host in service to Bolton, mostly because the Greatjon is still held hostage by the Freys. After he left though, the other brother was approached by Stannis and agreed to join him with whatever remaining force was left in Last Hearth. Being used to the Northern conditions, they got to Winterfell before Stannis (they were supposed to meet up there). Should be interesting to see how that plays out... Will Umber fight Umber? Or does Bolton have another knife besides Manderleys waiting to stab him in the back.

Hmmmn. Now you've got me worrying about the hostages, but I reckon that problem could be solved if all the Freys were killed so word couldn't get back to the Twins. :D

Archived