[ADWD Spoilers] Lord Manderly

Lord Manderly (and some of Theon's chapters) are really one of the few things about ADWD that recalled the first 3 books. Everything else almost seemed like a whole 'nother story style wise, but Lord Manderly definitely was one of the few things reminiscent of GRRM of old. Loved everything from the Frey pies to sending Davos after Ned's son.

Yea Lord Manderly was excellent in this book. His house takes a lot of flak, all other references to him and his sons had to do with their weight, but he showed that he has ice in his veins and is quite the Northman. The "North remembers" line was great and completely reminiscent of Robb's words to the Blackfish in ASOS.

Yet, as much as we see him a Northman, the rest of the North still thinks of him as a "Southern Lord". And the Manderly's have been in the North for a thousand years. The North remembers indeed.

Indeed.

Here's a question: How many of you saw exactly what was going on when Manderly sentenced Davos in front of some Freys? I tend to just read and not ponder things to much until afterwards, so my reaction at the time was kind of like "Crap. How is Davos going to get out of this one."

In hindsight I'm wondering how obvious it was that it was a show.

I thought, and hoped, that something was up. Wylla was too thorough in her Frey takedown, and there was something about Manderly replying quickly that made me think he was calculating rather than actually incensed about Davos.

Davos ma man working for the Manderly OG... the North will rise again!

The little girl shouting down the Frey's was what almost convinced me Davos was going to get beheaded.

Thought the whole scene was great. An really thought Manderly was a coward. Well untill the next Davos chapter anyway.

Lord Manderly (and some of Theon's chapters) are really one of the few things about ADWD that recalled the first 3 books. Everything else almost seemed like a whole 'nother story style wise, but Lord Manderly definitely was one of the few things reminiscent of GRRM of old. Loved everything from the Frey pies to sending Davos after Ned's son.

He really was an absolute joy in this book. I have to admit I was always suspicious even when he seemed to be on the Frey's side in that first chapter because I had a hard time believing in AFFC that the North was so friendly with the Iron Throne and the Freys given what happened. The North LOVED LOVED LOVED Ned and thus by extension his children in a way that their chummy nature (of course told by people who were clearly being hoodwinked) seemed very off in the last book. I find it really interesting the contrast between the Targaryens and the Starks (i.e. the two dispossessed houses that seem to be the focus of the story). Though the heir of House Stark are scattered to the wind and most are presumed dead, they litterally have a bevy of allies just waiting to find one of them to rally the cause around. Dany and Aegon (assuming for the moment he is a genuine Targ) don't really have the same base waiting for them.

The North most certainly remembers and it really does make me smile to see that the Lords genuinely want Ned's daughter protected and his son found. Plus thank God someone other than Mirra/Jojen/Osha knows that at least one of the Starks presumed dead is alive.

Thank you for this thread. I have laughed all the way through it. Manderly was awesome in this book. He is a stone cold mean as fat man.

I tend to think he is on a suicide mission too (or he's not worried about his life). Several characters mentioned how "grey" he looked and he is morbidly obese. I can't see him being long for this world, but he'll be long enough to make his hits count and get some vengeance.

Thanks also for the insights re: Manderly, Umbers, Stannis and Bastard Bolton's letter. I'm hoping (please GRRM) that Manderly's hand is in it and Bolton has been given misinformation and a trap is being set for him.

Lord Manderly was the most welcome surprise in the book.

His plots and schemes are only compared with the plots that Tywin Lannister did for the Red Wedding (planning ahead with Jeyne's mother, then with Walder Frey and Roose Bolton).

As for the Frey Pies, in the whole act you are certain that something is going on but you just confirm it after he asks for the Rat Cook song, which of course you have to remember from the previous books its meaning.

• 5 months later...

Lord M is bad ass. Calculating and powerful, patient and viscous, and has three or four chins of fat to protect his precious neck. he has got his shit together, if not his cholesterol levels, but he has strategically set the forces of the north to f up the Boltons and the Freys. He just overplayed his hand with H. Frey, a knight of some repute, but hey, that's what eating all those lamprey pies and freys get you. Plus, who could pass up the golden opportunity to delivery one of the best lines in the book "he could have grown up to be a Frey." He survived and the north remembers. Sadly, once they open up a whole can of whoop ass on the Bs and FS, the others will likely descend on them.

Lord M is bad ass. Calculating and powerful, patient and viscous, and has three or four chins of fat to protect his precious neck. he has got his shit together, if not his cholesterol levels, but he has strategically set the forces of the north to f up the Boltons and the Freys. He just overplayed his hand with H. Frey, a knight of some repute, but hey, that's what eating all those lamprey pies and freys get you. Plus, who could pass up the golden opportunity to delivery one of the best lines in the book "he could have grown up to be a Frey." He survived and the north remembers. Sadly, once they open up a whole can of whoop ass on the Bs and FS, the others will likely descend on them.

Strongly agree that the line you cite of Manderly’s is a most excellent one.

You know, if you have to be snowed in somewhere during a long blizzard when no other food can be brought in (think of the Donner Pass incident in 1846!!) because all the roads are closed, it seems a survival advantage to carry one’s own extra fat stores.

Higgledy-piggledy

Lord Wyman Manderly

Sups with his foes, leaving

Nary a crumb.

Wolvering wolverenes

Incontrovertibly

Tell all who hearken that

Winter is come.

So what does everyone think was in all those wagons Lord Manderly brought w/ him to WF? He was said to have brought 40 wagons right? They can't all have really been for food....

So what does everyone think was in all those wagons Lord Manderly brought w/ him to WF? He was said to have brought 40 wagons right? They can't all have really been for food....

So you’re saying that LM has WTF wagons bound for his stay at WTF?

No, I don’t c y even WM needed 40 w of f. There must be st in them that you need at WTF, but not just f. He brought plenty of sdrs with him, so maybe it could be xtr wpns? Or if he knew the grnhs gls was brkn, myb W hz rplcmnts so thy cn grow mr f if snd in?

No, I don’t c y even WM needed 40 w of f. There must be st in them that you need at WTF, but not just f. He brought plenty of sdrs with him, so maybe it could be xtr wpns? Or if he knew the grnhs gls was brkn, myb W hz rplcmnts so thy cn grow mr f if snd in?

What?...

What?...

I think this says: No, I don't see why even Wyman Manderley needed 40 wagons of food. There must be s**t in them that you need at Winterfell, but not just for. He brought plenty of soldiers with him, so maybe it would be extra weapons? Or if he knew the greenhouse glass was broken, maybe Wyman has replacements so that they can grow more food if snowed in?

I think that is what he meant ...

Archived