[ADwD Spoilers] Well That Was Disappointing

ShockWaveSix

There is another group, I believe, that are most likely disappointed by Book 5. Those would be the HBO executives hoping for a continued series through more than 2 or 3 seasons.

I think that Book 1 made for a superb first season of a gritty fantasy TV show. As the series has gone on, popular characters have changed drastically, and mostly have taken a tragic arc, rather than a triumphant one. I got a lot of non-book readers hooked on the series, but if I sit 'em all down and tell them a lot of major plot arcs, they'll be angry, put-off, or confused.

I am not re-opening the silly argument that TV viewers are dumber than readers or want simpler story-telling or anything like that. I just don't think the continuing plot of ASOIAF lends itself to a weekly TV show.

Another wrench in the engine is the greater use of mystical elements in the books. Lots more dragons, now mammoths, elephants, boat-sized turtles, greyscale monkey men, and creepy fire magic. Also, all the stuff in Slaver's Bay will be harder to film than the medieval feel of Westeros. 800 foot pyramids, huge purple hair, and fanciful architecture in general.

I think some executive in Hollywood was sweating the entire time he read ADWD, and labored to sketch out very early plans to overlap AFFC stuff with ADWD stuff, keep his viewers not-furious, and still have a realistic budget.

Archived