[ADWD SPOILERS] Where Is Rickon?

eddardstark

Yes. We are now on 300 A.L. and Rickon is 5.

According to the Wiki AFFC was year 300 and ADWD went beyond this so since the books began in 298 it is likely that approximately 3 years give or take have passed. Rickon is likely 6 by ADWD ending, if he is still alive. I think is is alive and I wouldn't be surprised if Asha trys to ransom him to Davos. She wanted to ransom Bran when she and her wilding buds showed up in the Winterfell forest and found him alone.

I think that we will learn of Rickon's fate in the next book.

I hope so. Davos needs to get back to Stannis (if he is alive, IMO, yes, so either Davos will be successful in getting to Rickon in one piece or he could die in the attempt. Even if he finds Rickon, I'm wondering if he will take him back to White Harbor? A lot of things can happen with this travelogue. This a a more interesting storyline to me than what happens to Cersei after her shame walk.

It seems slightly suspect that a squire would have been follow Osha undetected, but apparently he did and somehow learned where she intended to taken Rickon. They've not verified the pair actually made it there, since Rickon would have been captured if that were the case. From the hints it seems Skagos was the destination, although it's unclear how Osha decided that. She's presumably not wildly educated but perhaps Mance has outposts there, or she knows someone? Maybe that's the way they came down around the wall.

He doesn't have to have followed them, just heard them say where they were going.

I assumed she would have chosen Skagos because it's isolated and no one would think to look for them there.

According to the Wiki AFFC was year 300 and ADWD went beyond this so since the books began in 298 it is likely that approximately 3 years give or take have passed. Rickon is likely 6 by ADWD ending, if he is still alive. I think is is alive and I wouldn't be surprised if Asha trys to ransom him to Davos. She wanted to ransom Bran when she and her wilding buds showed up in the Winterfell forest and found him alone.

Assuming you mean Osha the wildling not Asha Theon's sister. That was back at the beginning when she first met them. She became a Stark loyalist pretty quickly after she got to know the two boys. By the time she left with Rickon I think she was decidedly loyal to them (the kids only) such that I don't think ransom will be an issue. I don't think she will be willing to part with him either and Davos is going to have a hard time convincing her.

5, 5.5, or 6, does it really matter? He's still a little kid.

Also, why would Asha ransom him? How would she even get her hands on him? Or Osha you mean? Why would Osha want to ransom him? She could have sold him to Bolton already if she were interested in that. I think she's probably just trying to keep him safe.

Assuming you mean Osha the wildling not Asha Theon's sister. That was back at the beginning when she first met them. She became a Stark loyalist pretty quickly after she got to know the two boys. By the time she left with Rickon I think she was decidedly loyal to them (the kids only) such that I don't think ransom will be an issue. I don't think she will be willing to part with him either and Davos is going to have a hard time convincing her.

Sorry, I meant Osha. I agree that Osha will not want to give him over to Davos. She doesn't know him or Stannis or Manderly. She may not know much of what has been going on in northern polictics since leaving. I bet she is attached to Rickon also and lets not forget Shaggydog. This direwolf doesn't take to people well. I think the only way they would willing go with him is if their lives are threatened on Skagos.

Osha might have chosen Skagos because she had some knowledge about the island being immune to the Others. Maybe White Walkers can't swim. She always seemed very concerned about them and was one of the first wildings to head south. Maybe the combination of family and that it was "Others-proof" made the island a good destination.

My money is on Greywater Watch. Wex followed them, which makes me think a ship is out of the question. I don't think Osha and Rickon went overseas. Osha may have decided to go to the same place Meera and Jojen are from, since it would be somewhat familiar because of them.

The Neck is always talked about as a formidable place and probably one where Davos would not want to go. His smuggler abilities would be needed though to find passages through the swamp.

Osha might have chosen Skagos because she had some knowledge about the island being immune to the Others. Maybe White Walkers can't swim. She always seemed very concerned about them and was one of the first wildings to head south. Maybe the combination of family and that it was "Others-proof" made the island a good destination.

Good observation. I thought that the water separating Essos and Westeros is why the Others have never shown up there during the long winter. Surely, the long winter must effect Essos in some manner? If not, and it is only Westeros, then what makes them manifest there only? Has to be something to do with the Old Gods of which we know little.

If the Others have never shown up on Skagos, then I can't imagine why Osha would ever want to leave. She knows the Others are rising.

Good observation. I thought that the water separating Essos and Westeros is why the Others have never shown up there during the long winter. Surely, the long winter must effect Essos in some manner? If not, and it is only Westeros, then what makes them manifest there only? Has to be something to do with the Old Gods of which we know little.

If the Others have never shown up on Skagos, then I can't imagine why Osha would ever want to leave. She knows the Others are rising.

You're right. If she were truly worried about the Others, she wouldn't have headed south. She would have gone straight to the island.

I still think there has to be something special about Skagos, and that's why she went there.

Naw, he's been crowned king of the place, after accidentally fulfilling some kind of prophecy about a boy arriving by sea with a giant unicorn-fighting wolf. :D

Davos returning with a king at his side and an Army of Unicorn riding Cannibals at their back coming to murder those Lannister fools!

Here is a thought: In the show remember the scene when Theon is harassing Osha and Maester Luwin comes to the rescue and warns him of Theon, Osha answers "I'm used to me who could chew that boy up and pick their teeth with his bones!" could it be that she had been to Skagos before and thats why she took Rickon there?

Presumably she had some reason for going to Skagos.

I just really don't get how she was supposed to get there. I can't imagine she was able to get on a ship with Shaggydog.

This would be a problem unless the ship belonged to the Skagosi. The Skagosi has been infiltrated by the wildings over the years and the wildings are used to direwolves as direwolves have not died out north of the Wall.

IF the year is now 301 (at the end of ADWD) then why hasn't Edmure Tully's baby been conceived, since after all that child was conceived at the Red Wedding.

He doesn't have to have followed them, just heard them say where they were going.

Yea, but we know from Bran's POV that they didn't actually discuss where they were going, so that if one group was captured, it couldn't betray the other. Unless... Osha talked about it with Luwin when she stayed behind to give him the gift of mercy?

Hm... that could actually work. Certainly better than Wex being able to sneak on Osha/Shaggy after they left WF, in any case.

Re: Others on Essos, isn't Azor Ahai a legend from Essos? So, it seems to me that they can get there eventually (when the northern seas freeze? Or maybe they ride the icebergs?), just not during the early stages of their onslaught.

Archived