Original 7 Kingdoms, Borders and Histories

Lucreel

I think it would be nice to have, in a companion book about the world of ice and fire, a section with a map showing the names and borders (ok, I know, borders are always contested and usually change over time, but he could give borders which stood for a relatively long period of time, and perhaps indicate regions which were frequently contested/changing) of the original 7 Kingdoms. Also, I think it'd be interesting to have some of the history of the foundings of the Kingdoms, what their economies were based around (all of them will have some agriculture of course, but it seems like there was some differences, which led to trade between the regions), information about some of the larger towns and ports in each of the Kingdoms (e.g. I'm interested in the history of the Order of the Maesters and the Citadel at Oldtown; for that matter, why is it called Oldtown - is it the oldest town in Westeros, etc).

I know some of that stuff is scattered throughout the books, but I think it'd be fun just to read the pure history, gathered in one place, and supplemented by GRRM with stuff that never made it into the Song.

• 2 months later...

Also, it would interest me if "the 7 kingdoms and the Riverlands", as used in the series, really is the originally intended counting by GRRM. Of course, the Riverlands belonged to the Iron Islands at the time of the conquest, ruled from Harren the Black's seat Harrenhal, and therefore it makes sense not to count them at that time, but as can be deduced from that large goblet Joffrey gets for his wedding, there are seven ruling Great Houses, and the Greyjoys are excluded, so apparently the Iron Islands weren't counted. Or was Dorne left out from the count because it became part of the realm last?

So, is there an official counting? And if so, is it the one HBO uses, or a different one?

I'm really excited for the World of Ice and Fire book!

I really hope that it includes a bunch of this information. I'm also especially interested in economies and exports - especially before the conquest. I'd also like to see the banners mapped out. Or maps through the ages showing the border changes and what kingdoms do and don't count in the 7. I'd also like to know more about ancient Valyria. Though I'd also be interested in a Simarillion type book, or even just more back story through Dunk and Egg!

I also would be interested in the backstory of the Seven kingdoms and their foundations, this is, how they were unified from the old kingdom of the First Men. From the top of my head we've heard of the Marsh kings and the River kings, but I'm sure there have been much more and I'd love to hear about them.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived