GRRM's characters could eat the Borgias

Dragonfish

I was perusing the SSMs the other day when I came across this tidbit that is hilarious in hindsight (to me, at least):

"HarperCollins UK just sent me some copies of an advertising supplement they did in the GUARDIAN newspaper. It includes a "Timeline" of landmarks of SF and fantasy through history, and they included A GAME OF THRONES (they had better, they publish it over there).

The best part, though, is the capsule description, wherein they call ASOIAF "the 12 CAESARS of fantasy literature, with characters so venomous they could eat the Borgias."

I must say, being compared to Suetonius certainly beats being compared to David Eddings, but my various part is "CHARACTERS SO VENOMOUS THEY COULD EAT THE BORGIAS!" With ketchup or hot sauce, I wonder?"

I found this funny simply because both Game of Thrones and The Borgias are now TV shows (that premiered around the same time, to boot), and while they are not direct competitors they were often compared to each other during the run-up to their premieres.

Perhaps if the Borgias and Game of Thrones ever end up being run opposite each other, HBO should use this as an ad slogan.

I was perusing the SSMs the other day when I came across this tidbit that is hilarious in hindsight (to me, at least):

"HarperCollins UK just sent me some copies of an advertising supplement they did in the GUARDIAN newspaper. It includes a "Timeline" of landmarks of SF and fantasy through history, and they included A GAME OF THRONES (they had better, they publish it over there).

The best part, though, is the capsule description, wherein they call ASOIAF "the 12 CAESARS of fantasy literature, with characters so venomous they could eat the Borgias."

I must say, being compared to Suetonius certainly beats being compared to David Eddings, but my various part is "CHARACTERS SO VENOMOUS THEY COULD EAT THE BORGIAS!" With ketchup or hot sauce, I wonder?"

In pies, obviously.

Truth always outdoes fiction. After all in real life its the collective machinations of many minds at work, which can commit deeds far more dastardly and come up with conspiracy grander than can be dreamt up by one sane mind.

• 4 weeks later...

The TV Borgias really are pathetic pussies because the writers just couldn't let them be really evil - so Pope Alexander is constantly wittering on about God, Cesare only poisons and garottes people because they are not every nice, even the brother-on-brother murder is being set up so that when it eventually happens the victim will completely deserve it for being such a useless and obnoxious tit.

The Sopranos are such an influence they really should have just cast Tony S as the Pope, Carmela as Mrs Pope, Dr Melfi as nun turned mother-confessor and the boys from the Bada Bing club as cardinals.

(Damn that would have been a good show...)

This reminds me of the time wayyy back in the dreaded 80s when I saw a promo slot for Dynasty on New Zealand TV - claiming Alexis was the most evil, scheming character on TV. Not a hope in hell - the series "I Claudius" was running on the other channel and Lydia would have chewed Alexis up and spat her out before breakfast. I think Cersei would have made a reasonably good showing, but the battle I would really love to see would have been Lydia vs Tywn. Now that would be seriously dangerous venom served over ice in golden goblets, oh so elegant and oh so lethal!

Showtime has done well with the Borgia , but they really only have enough historical material for one more season.

Yet if you read history, the Borgia story is so much more stranger than anything a fiction writer could write, it's always been the case.

I like The Borgia , production values are as good as GOT and it's a gripping story that really happened.

If you ever want to know how strange a real middle ages story can be read Barbara Tuchman's A DISTANT MIRROR.... nothing in any fiction could match the real history told there.

the battle I would really love to see would have been Lydia vs Tywn. Now that would be seriously dangerous venom served over ice in golden goblets, oh so elegant and oh so lethal!

An I, Claudius vs. Game of Thrones death match:

Livia vs. Tywin

Claudius vs. Tyrion

Sejanus vs. Littlefinger

Caligula vs. Joffrey

Tiberius vs. Stannis

Messalina vs. Cersei

The TV Borgias really are pathetic pussies because the writers just couldn't let them be really evil - so Pope Alexander is constantly wittering on about God, Cesare only poisons and garottes people because they are not every nice, even the brother-on-brother murder is being set up so that when it eventually happens the victim will completely deserve it for being such a useless and obnoxious tit.

The Sopranos are such an influence they really should have just cast Tony S as the Pope, Carmela as Mrs Pope, Dr Melfi as nun turned mother-confessor and the boys from the Bada Bing club as cardinals.

(Damn that would have been a good show...)

I disagree. Right now we've only seen the first season of The Borgias, of course they didn't let them be really evil yet. This is the first season. I really enjoed it and I think Neil Jordan did an amazing job so far, the actors are also very good and convincing (especially François Arnaud, Holliday Grainger and Jeremy Irons). The first season was about us getting to know the characters, how they started and how they will eventually because known as, the development is slow but needed...I believe season 2 (as Neil Jordan confirmed) will become darker, there will be more violence and The Borgias will become the unfamous family we know. I can't wait for it!

An I, Claudius vs. Game of Thrones death match:

Livia vs. Tywin

Claudius vs. Tyrion

Sejanus vs. Littlefinger

Caligula vs. Joffrey

Tiberius vs. Stannis

Messalina vs. Cersei

Oh too brilliant! I wonder is the Messalina v.s Cersei battle going to be the same as the one Messalina has with the prostitute? And who do you think would pleasure the most men in one night?

And your comment about Caligula vs Joffrey has actually made me do some serious thinking. There are some pretty strong parallels between those two.

Archived