[ADWD Spoilers] Victarion

Lord Pounce

Honestly I thought that his bold vow to sail across the Dothraki Sea (and subsequent strangling of the fisherman who mocked him for it) might have been the funniest thing in the series since "Thapphireth!".

I also really liked it when he caught the slaver vessel and basically told the rowers "You are free men! Now row dammit!" (Okay so I'm paraphrasing somewhat.

Anybody else really get a kick out of his chapters?

Honestly I thought that his bold vow to sail across the Dothraki Sea (and subsequent strangling of the fisherman who mocked him for it) might have been the funniest thing in the series since "Thapphireth!".

I also really liked it when he caught the slaver vessel and basically told the rowers "You are free men! Now row dammit!" (Okay so I'm paraphrasing somewhat.

Anybody else really get a kick out of his chapters?

Quite the reverse in fact. I started liking Victarion less after his chapters in aDwD. In the previous volume he came across as a relatively honorable Ironborn. In the current book he seems to be becoming more like his brother Euron - cutting the throat of his maester, sacrificing seven virgins to R'hllor.

I agree.

Victarion's chapters were the best for me in this book.

I also got quite a kick out of a lot of stuff that happened in said chapters. It was almost as if he was touted as a comic relief! B

ut his chapters are also very action-packed and dynamic, with some actual plot progression going on. So, we're not only having a laugh, but also enjoying the unfolding of events.

In terms of Victarion himself, I like him less. Killing the Maester and those girls didn't win points for me.

But I do agree that his chapters in ADWD were more compelling than those in AFFC.

Yeah, I'm starting to like the crazy psychopath.

When we first were introduced to the ironmen I wasn't too impressed. Asha read like Martin was trying too hard and the priest POV was boring. Obviously, Theon was not too impressive and his father set up to be an cardboard antagonist dooomed to failure.

But the most recent Vicarian and Asha chapters are starting to turn me around. I think it is how they just shrug off massive setbacks and give the world the middle finger is refreshing.

"What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger."

It's like a philosophy for getting kicked in the head repeatedly and then hitting the guy in the nuts when he back is turned receiving praise.

Victarion has got swag. I'm a fan.

re: Maester's death - I'm pretty sure that Moqorro convinced him that the Maester was poisoning him. Also the Maester kind of has motive here too, because he was all, "Your men took me belowdecks and used me like I was a woman. No, I can't use this dagger you give me to stab at them next time."

re: innocent women burning to death - Yeah, they got the short straws. Luckily, I thought that his balancing act between two jealous and bloodthirsty gods was awesome and the most pragmatic and practical approach and just a cool execution of having a faith your whole life and then being shown something else works.

Me! Victaryon's chapter in ADwD were very good to read and he's become a favourite of mine. He's probably the best POV in Slaver's Bay.

When he throw the maester in the water or sacrifice the Yunkai girls I laughed hard. Probably, I had some of the best laughs in the book with him.

I enjoyed Victarion's chapters in ADWD, but I don't like him. In addition to the Maester and the girls, he also dumped a bunch of slave boys in the sea just because they were gay (or meant to be gay sex slaves). He could've put them to work rowing, so I don't think you can read anything pragmatic into that.

He definitely is fun to read about now (not a fan of his AFFC chapters), and his no-bullshit, pragmatic attitude can definitely be refreshing. But he's still a despicable pirate who does terrible things, so no I don't 'like' him.

I think I maybe read a total of 3 to 4 pages of all the Victarion chapters seriously. The rest I just skimmed.

He lost many of his fleet to bad weather. They're continuing onward nonetheless. He's got a festering wound. Moqorro the red priest is now his Melisandre.

Did I miss anything?

The Greyjoys just never interested. Even Asha was just a passing interest to me. I similarly skimmed a lot of the Theon chapters.

He's by far the most one dimensional and boring PoV character in the series for me. His whole personality can be summed up in "I like reaving and battles, I hate Euron and I'll make him pay".

His storyline was decent in ADWD, but still , his personality is so limited I can't really enjoy his chapters.

Victarion's chapters were horrifyingly refreshing. It was disturbing. Really.

You have Slaver's Bay at war, armies slowly moving and sitting around cities and doing nothing. Rulers plotting and discussing, pondering things endlessly while thousands die anyway of war, famine and plague (not necessarily in this particular order). And then this psychopath that lives by one cruel god's law and serves another cruel god arrives and things happen. At least he has his priorities clear from the beginning:

1. Plunder.

2. Have someone blow horn.

3. Get dragons.

4. Get Daenerys.

5. Return to Westeros.

6. Kill Euron.

How many can say the same?

I like Victarion a lot and I don't understand the shit he catches for sacrificing people to the Drowned God and R'hollor while Stannis and Melisandre get a pass despite doing the same thing.

Who is saying they are getting a pass?

I found his ecumenical sacrifice to the Drowned God, R'hllor, and the Seven (7 girls - though he doesn't mention that) to be darkly hilarious. I hope Victarion dies in Meereen and fails in his quest, but his chapters are interesting to read.

He's by far the most one dimensional and boring PoV character in the series for me. His whole personality can be summed up in "I like reaving and battles, I hate Euron and I'll make him pay".

His storyline was decent in ADWD, but still , his personality is so limited I can't really enjoy his chapters.

I think he is more single- minded (and a little simple-minded perhaps) than one dimensional. I loved when he thought to himself "on wings of song I come to you, Danaerys", it was like serial killer poetry.

I think I maybe read a total of 3 to 4 pages of all the Victarion chapters seriously. The rest I just skimmed.

He lost many of his fleet to bad weather. They're continuing onward nonetheless. He's got a festering wound. Moqorro the red priest is now his Melisandre.

Did I miss anything?

The Greyjoys just never interested. Even Asha was just a passing interest to me. I similarly skimmed a lot of the Theon chapters.

But that's it!

While every other character is beset by dilemma upon dilemma, and is torn between having to make important choices, Victarion is the one badass motherfucker who just doesn't give a shit, and keeps on moving forward regardless of the cost.

Victarion's chapters were horrifyingly refreshing. It was disturbing. Really.

You have Slaver's Bay at war, armies slowly moving and sitting around cities and doing nothing. Rulers plotting and discussing, pondering things endlessly while thousands die anyway of war, famine and plague (not necessarily in this particular order). And then this psychopath that lives by one cruel god's law and serves another cruel god arrives and things happen. At least he has his priorities clear from the beginning:

1. Plunder.

2. Have someone blow horn.

3. Get dragons.

4. Get Daenerys.

5. Return to Westeros.

6. Kill Euron.

How many can say the same?

This!

It was absurd, HILARIOUS even how full-speed-ahead his chapters were. Head-on through the brick wall! Who's to say that straightforwardness and one-dimensionality can be a bad thing?

Archived