[ADWD Spoilers] Victarion

Lord Pounce

Victarion's chapters were horrifyingly refreshing. It was disturbing. Really.

You have Slaver's Bay at war, armies slowly moving and sitting around cities and doing nothing. Rulers plotting and discussing, pondering things endlessly while thousands die anyway of war, famine and plague (not necessarily in this particular order). And then this psychopath that lives by one cruel god's law and serves another cruel god arrives and things happen. At least he has his priorities clear from the beginning:

1. Plunder.

2. Have someone blow horn.

3. Get dragons.

4. Get Daenerys.

5. Return to Westeros.

6. Kill Euron.

How many can say the same?

That's about the best that can be said for our wanderin', slaughterin' Ironborn boy. He is refreshingly purposeful and angst-free. And so far, he is the most successful traveler in ADWD.

That being said, I hope Victarion becomes dragon toast real soon.

Victarion reminds me of those Royal Bank of Scotland commercials where everyone else is standing around going "blah, blah, blah, blah" and then the Scottish guy just grabs the lever or the girl and does shit.

"Less talk, more action." Indeed.

It will be interesting to see him and Tyrion interact if they ever run into each other. I'm worried, however, that Ironmen may have some kind of dwarf-tossing tradition.

I like Victarion a lot and I don't understand the shit he catches for sacrificing people to the Drowned God and R'hollor while Stannis and Melisandre get a pass despite doing the same thing.

Stannis and Melisandre do not get a pass from me. They deserve to be burned as Rhlorr-sacrifices themselves, see how they like going to their god through fire. Sorry, I've never been a big fan of burning people (or animals) alive. Not fun, sexy or interesting. I'm not too thrilled with drowning people in the name of a god either. I know, there are bloodthirsty folks in this society; but that doesn't mean I have to approve of people slaughtering other people just for religious purposes.

The most disturbing thing is that he is crazy enough to succeed.

He is leading a small but well trained and highly motivated fleet. For the Ironborn of the Iron Fleet this is the "Reave of reaves" (to paraphrase another fantasy series), a great adventure in one of the richest places of the world. His enemies do not expect him to arrive so he can take them unawares and they have no experience fighting the Ironborn (should he had to fight the Redwyne Fleet things would surely be more difficult). He is fighting against slaver fleets and the Volantene navy could be well maned by Battleship Potemkin sailors (slave sailors and soldiers) ready to raise against their oppressive masters at the word of their red god.

He has this Horn of Valyria and we know that devices like this were used to control the dragons (or maybe just to call them and then he would be in trouble).

And Dany is going to need a fleet.

Even if he fails his demise promises to be entertaining.

Victarion is pretty much a brutal monster. But, like Bronn, hes an honest monster. I wouldn't say I like him exactly, but if Dany has to hook up with a Greyjoy hes much to be preferred to the Crow's Eye.

Dany and her suitors reminds me of the Taming of the Shrew:

Dany is the shrew Katherine. Victarion is Petruchio is gruff/harsh guy who can tame her.

Also the Arabian story "The Three Princes": One prince was bossy, the second prince was unclean in his habits, and the third suitor was vain.

Victarion would be the unclean one presumably, Quentyn the vain, and Aegon the bossy.

Dany and her suitors reminds me of the Taming of the Shrew:

Dany is the shrew Katherine. Victarion is Petruchio is gruff/harsh guy who can tame her.

Also the Arabian story "The Three Princes": One prince was bossy, the second prince was unclean in his habits, and the third suitor was vain.

Victarion would be the unclean one presumably, Quentyn the vain, and Aegon the bossy.

Well, Dany and Victarion could make a fun couple; they could burn castles and cities together; they have fire and blood and dragons as common interests, she likes tough macho guys, he likes her dragons....Dany and Aegon would be like siblings marrying each other (which Targaryens do a lot), there would be a lot of whining and death threats, and I-can-rule-better-than-you discussions. Poor Quentyn never stood a chance.

The most disturbing thing is that he is crazy enough to succeed.

He is leading a small but well trained and highly motivated fleet. For the Ironborn of the Iron Fleet this is the "Reave of reaves" (to paraphrase another fantasy series), a great adventure in one of the richest places of the world. His enemies do not expect him to arrive so he can take them unawares and they have no experience fighting the Ironborn (should he had to fight the Redwyne Fleet things would surely be more difficult). He is fighting against slaver fleets and the Volantene navy could be well maned by Battleship Potemkin sailors (slave sailors and soldiers) ready to raise against their oppressive masters at the word of their red god.

He has this Horn of Valyria and we know that devices like this were used to control the dragons (or maybe just to call them and then he would be in trouble).

And Dany is going to need a fleet.

Even if he fails his demise promises to be entertaining.

This. I love the Victarion chapters more and more. I think he is the grey lipped man with the sad smile in the House of Undying prophesy because he is now dead. His festering wound was healed by Moqurro as only a red priest can heal. I think he either died in the burning or is half dead now. I like that he has become a mix of two god's missions, though it should be noted the red priest says the drowned god is a form of the other. I think he is going to live, possibly to the end. With developments in DwD, it seems more likely to me there may be more than three dragon riders. At the very least, I would be suprised if he didn't break the fleet around Meereen and take Dany to wife. She'll be grieving over pointless Daario afterall, and while I think Tyrion will get to ride, I don't believe Dany will wed him.

Lol, the imagery is great after he gets his arm fixed causing the monkeys to jump off the ship. And then he comes up with a black and smoking hand and points to the maester with it and orders his neck cut and thrown overboard was awesome.

I found his ecumenical sacrifice to the Drowned God, R'hllor, and the Seven (7 girls - though he doesn't mention that) to be darkly hilarious.

This. The way he was weaving both of his faiths together is so 'simple' that it's fantastic.

Him and Strong Belwas should be friends.

I went from hating Victarion to finding him a fun character to read about and he's now in the "love to hate" category for me. I am so excited for when he arrives, tries to steal the dragons with the horn, and eventually meets Dany. Those two have such stubborn, fiery personalities and clashing values that it'll be awesome to read/watch.

He was the most enjoyable character for me to read in Both Dance and Feast. It's nice to see an honest straight-forward character once in a while. He doesn't play the politics game or use cat paws to get shit done. He comes up with the simplest and hilarious solutions to problems (use a knife to prevent a rape, sacrifice 7 girls in the water, while on fire, to honor 2 gods)and is pretty badass. You know where Victarion stands, and in a world where politics kills straight-forward honest men, it's nice to see someone (hopefully) beat the odds.

Honestly I thought that his bold vow to sail across the Dothraki Sea (and subsequent strangling of the fisherman who mocked him for it) might have been the funniest thing in the series since "Thapphireth!".

I also really liked it when he caught the slaver vessel and basically told the rowers "You are free men! Now row dammit!" (Okay so I'm paraphrasing somewhat.

Anybody else really get a kick out of his chapters?

Yes, I admire him very much. He's the new Joffrey. Another bloodthirsty halfwit with too much power.

I think that he is as good a leader as a Khal was. They're very similar, except that the khalassar rides horses and the Ironborn sail ships.

Like I said before, I think that the execution of the Maester was probably justified, I think that we've proven that the Gods are real enough in this series that paying homage is a legit way to operate. Getting rid of the gay pleasure slaves as a sacrifice to the Drowned God is a clever morale ploy along with a religious plan, sacrificing the girls to the Red God again seems prudent - his arm is at the Red God's mercy.

He isn't unintelligent, but he has always and will always be more straightforward than most. That's what got him made fun of by his brothers.

I think the biggest problem is that he might be a poor king because he's a better soldier/sailor. However, with his fleet entering the Slaver Bay, I would imagine that there will be a sea battle and he will win. From there, either he hooks up with Dany or she rejects him and he leaves but doesn't take her. I don't think that he would help her if he isn't getting to marry her, so it's success or death in his mind.

Also I just appreciate the straightforward and headlong nature and the ability to get shit done. What a champ.

Archived