[ADWD] Brienne Collecting Jaime

koifishkid

WHAT? Where? The original AGOT prophetic vision Bran had? But that had nothing about Jon in it...

Yes it did. Something about all warmth escaping from him - something that was previously believed to be his initial response to the NW but now looks likely to be a reference to his body being "on ice" in the Wall.

In one of the recent interviews, he talked about POV's already written but moved to TWOW (Sansa, also an Arya chapter and Arianne IIRC) and others who would also return (Sam, Damphair, Brienne,...).

If you are thinking of the 5/19/2011 not-a-blog post, it says nothing about Brienne returning as a POV.

If you are thinking of something else, please provide a link, or some other reference that will permit me to find it.

WHAT? Where? The original AGOT prophetic vision Bran had? But that had nothing about Jon in it...

Here:

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/Prophecies/Entry/1791/

He saw his father pleading with the king, his face etched with grief. He saw Sansa crying herself to sleep at night, and he saw Arya watching in silence and holding her secrets hard in her heart. There were shadows all around them. One shadow was as dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound. Another was armored like the sun, golden and beautiful. Over them both loomed a giant in armor made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood.

He lifted his eyes and saw clear across the narrow sea, to the Free Cities and the green Dothraki sea and beyond, to Vaes Dothrak under its mountain, to the fabled lands of the Jade Sea, to Asshai by the Shadow, where dragons stirred beneath the sunrise.

Finally he looked north. He saw the Wall shining like blue crystal, and his bastard brother Jon sleeping alone in a cold bed, his skin growing pale and hard as the memory of all warmth fled from him ... North and north and north he looked, to the curtain of light at the end of the world, and then beyond that curtain. He looked deep into the heart of winter, and then he cried out, afraid, and the heat of his tears burned his cheeks.

^ Bran's coma dream isn't a prophecy in the sense of a prediction about the future, unless you want to make it one. After all, around that time his father was pleading, Sansa was crying, Arya was brooding, his mother was at sea and Jon was in the north freezing his ass off (there's a Jon chapter shortly after where he lays on a cold bed, thinking the cold will seep all warmth from him). The shadows can simply be Sandor, Renly and Payne (who's like a statue, doesn't even speak).

^ Bran's coma dream isn't a prophecy in the sense of a prediction about the future, unless you want to make it one. After all, around that time his father was pleading, Sansa was crying, Arya was brooding, his mother was at sea and Jon was in the north freezing his ass off (there's a Jon chapter shortly after where he lays on a cold bed, thinking the cold will seep all warmth from him). The shadows can simply be Sandor, Renly and Payne (who's like a statue, doesn't even speak).

Yep. This.

I am not a big fan of Bran and I skip his chapters, so I can't even remember if he ever had true, confirmed prophetic dreams. I know he wargs, he dreams of the 3eyed crow, he also sees the present (as quoted above) and he sees the past as greenseer. Has he ever seen a future that was confirmed, like Patchface for example?

Did I read a different version from everyone else?

It was near midnight when two came riding back with a woman they had taken captive. “She rode up bold as you please, m’lord, demanding words with you.”

Jaime scrambled to his feet. “My lady. I had not thought to see you again so soon.” Gods be good, she looks ten years older than when I saw her last. And what’s happened to her face? “That bandage … you’ve been wounded …”

“A bite.” She touched the hilt of her sword, the sword that he had given her. Oathkeeper. “My lord, you gave me a quest.”

“The girl. Have you found her?”

“I have,” said Brienne, Maid of Tarth.

“Where is she?”

“A day’s ride. I can take you to her, ser … but you will need to come alone. Elsewise, the Hound will kill her.”

What marks around her neck? Is there another passage describing Brienne that I missed?

Did I read a different version from everyone else?

What marks around her neck? Is there another passage describing Brienne that I missed?

You're reading the book whereas we're in Conspiracy Universe :)

Again, why do we think Brienne is taking Jaime all the way to UnCat. To do so, unCat's lair would need to be less then one day of travel from Pennytree. Jaime is unlikely to go further without questioning. Brienne is also unlikely to be able to drag him if he is unwilling - he is a strong guy, and she is unlikely to overpower him long enough to tie him up. Finally, UnCat never demanded a living Jaime. She demanded that he die.

Agreed. It's not a prophecy. It's Bran seeing the what's currently going on in the world through the three-eye crow/flying. The whole sequence is written about the present:

-Robb now practicing with real steel

-Cat and Rodrik taking a ship to KL

-The Joff/Arya affair

-East to the Dothraki sea and beyond (interesting note about Dragons stirring beneath he sunrise in Asshai by the Shadow)

-North to the wall where Jon is freezing.

-Further north to deep into winter where he sees why he must live.

The preceding chapter is the Ned chapter where had to put Lady down. Though I think the second shadow is Jamie or Joffrey and not Renly. Renly is usually associated with green armor and Renly was told to leave by Robert because he was laughing at Joffrey over the fight with Arya...how did you lose your sword to a nine year old.

The next Jon chapter has him freezing at the Wall.

I do not understand how this gets tied at all to some future happening in the Vale.

Maybe you guys are right about this not being a future-predicting prophecy (allthough it is definitely a vision as Bran can't just know all those things at the time). However, I'm not sure I would buy Payne as the giant looming over everything. Especially not over Sandor and Jaime; over Arya and Sansa would make some sense but what does Jaime in particular care about Payne? The man later becomes his sparring partner, he's hardly overshadowed in any way by him (not in AGOT either).

The sentence can be read as the shadow looming over 'Hound' and 'Jaime' or as looming over Sansa and Arya. Payne certainly loomed over the girls, if we take him to symbolize the execution of Lady. Both Jaime and Sandor were sent to find Arya, and would presumably hurt her if gven a chance.

Now I wonder: it's rather well-known that "Arya Stark" has been trundled off to marry Ramsay. I'm going to guess that Stoneheart will blame Jaime, if only for his being a Lannister and thus a part of the whole scheme. I'm losing more hope in unCat somehow... "letting" Jaime go, in any way.

How does the dream get tied to a vision about the future? Um, because it features Ser Robert Strong, who would not put in an appearance until the latter half of ADwD.

How does the dream get tied to a vision about the future? Um, because it features Ser Robert Strong, who would not put in an appearance until the latter half of ADwD.

pure speculation. i think this is a case of a lot of people trying to see prophecy where they want to.

i've been wondering about brienne and jaime and have decided to go with the occam's razor route- that the simplest explanation is the most likely. to that end, it seems to me that brienne shouted 'sword', was released by cat to bring back jaime, and is now doing just that. anything else is crazy guessing.

I'm surprised that we're even debating whether these visions were prophecies or not. Dragons were stirring, for one, long before they were ever hatched. Also, these are visions that Bloodraven forced into Bran's mind and we know perfectly well that he has the capacity to see the past, at the least.

pure speculation. i think this is a case of a lot of people trying to see prophecy where they want to.

A massive suit of armor with no head is pure speculation? I had no idea these came in twos or more.

Archived