[ADWD] Brienne Collecting Jaime

koifishkid

Can somone point me in the direction of "Bran's Dream" referenced here? Which book was it? Beginning, middle or end of the book? I missed it and am now very curious

Using information from my Kindle, AGoT, page 162. It's the chapter after Ned kills Lady, if that doesn't work.

Ya, I just don't see her trading Jaime's life for her own. It's too out of character. GRRM didn't spend the entire series going on about how honourable she is just to have her dump that whole personality when things got tough. Doing it in order to save the kid, though, while it's still pretty much of out of character, at least has a spurious tie-in to a rationale.

The point is to put Brienne into an impossible situation with conflicting vows: to Lady Catelyn, now an undead horror bent on revenge, and to Jaime Lannister. Which vows will she keep and which will she break?

Am I the only one that thinks it's fucking 100% silly to make a promise to a zombie Catelyn, and then actually stick to it? Brienne should've sworn whatever she needed and ran for the hills.

It doesn't matter what she thinks or her men think - they are all living on borrowed time. They are outlaws and wanted dead on sight by every high lord.

UnCat has hostages. She threatened to hang Podrick and ser Hyle together with Brienne.

I think its strange how Brienne face was covered. I suspect but don't have any proof is that she died but what ever she yelled out caused zombie-Cat to bring her back to life as zombie-Brienne. Hopefully that means zombie Cat is gone for good. There are already to many undead walking around.

As for the reason she wants Jamie I don't know maybe its gearing up for a zombie Jamie next.

I don't think her face was covered. IIRC she had something covering her throat. I assumed this to mean that she said "sword" and was covering up the marks from her near hanging experience.

I think Brienne is playing by ear. She had to save Pod but doesn't want to kill Jaime. I think she will try to think of a way to trick Stonehart or convince her and the BWB that Jaime aint so bad. She will probably fail.

Using information from my Kindle, AGoT, page 162. It's the chapter after Ned kills Lady, if that doesn't work.

I think this Bran dream refers to the situation in play in AGOT as he sees events occurring at that time like his mother siiting alone in a cabin and she is recognizable as his mother then, not UnCat now.

Trail by combat with Brienne being Jaime’s champion? Any constellation that could happen? They probably could foresee the possibility Brienne would just let herself be killed when matched against Jaime. The question is also would he even get a trial?

edit:name spelling

I have a feeling that Jaime will face trial by combat and his opponent will be Brienne. Brienne will sacrifice her life during the fight, so Jaime and Podrick will be spared.

:agree:

Or something similar. I see Brienne taking a bullet (or whatever) for Jamie, provided its in circumstances that don't risk anyone else. Anyway, we know he has to live long enough to strangle Cersei!

Anyone entertained the idea that Sandor does actually have one of the girls (I guess it would have to be Sansa) like Brienne claims? I immediately wrote it off as a lie, but maybe not.... Or maybe it's someone she thinks is Sansa? I dunno. Not sure where that ends up going, just a question.

King_In_The_North, on 21 July 2011 - 03:45 PM, said:

"Brienne had a choice: sacrifice Jaime, or sacrifice Pod and ser Hyle. She chose the former option."

And this statement is based on what?

And this statement is based on what?

I think its fairly obvious from the last lines of the earlier hanging scene, when having refused to choose, she's being hoisted up and sees young Podrick being hanged too. The word she'll have shouted is "sword" not to save her life but Podrick's.

As to covering her face there's no need to look for sinister explanations given that Biter ate part of it.

I think this Bran dream refers to the situation in play in AGOT as he sees events occurring at that time like his mother siiting alone in a cabin and she is recognizable as his mother then, not UnCat now.

Wouldn't really comport with the fact that the Gregor in the dream does not have a head, something that was not to occur until three books later.

Ooooh I had completely forgotten Bran's dream, but now that makes a whole heck of a lot more sense. I don't think Jaime will simply be hanged. More likely, he and Brienne will seek to prove his worth by finding Sansa (or Arya) and the most likely place to look is the Vale. At that point I can see Cersei's mind clicking about LF and sansa and sending frankengane out to kill her (since she is plagued by Tyrion-paranoia) and then the vision will come true, in a sense. Assuming Sandor shows up as well, which we've been practically promised by George as he has to get another chance to face his brother at some point in the series.

I am mildly annoyed at the brief cameo Brienne made in the chapter. George could have at least written out some dialogue between the two, rather than dialog between Jaime and random-whore-number-whatever.

(also, off topic, whoa bran's vision also include's Jon Snow's body cooling on ice o_o)

The point is to put Brienne into an impossible situation with conflicting vows: to Lady Catelyn, now an undead horror bent on revenge, and to Jaime Lannister. Which vows will she keep and which will she break?

I totally agree. So many characters in these books have to learn how to deal with broken vows, especially those who place the highest value on their honor: Ned, Robb, Jon, Dany. Brienne has to go through the same process.

I gotta say, though, I really hope Jaime doesn't eat it.

I don't think her face was covered. IIRC she had something covering her throat. I assumed this to mean that she said "sword" and was covering up the marks from her near hanging experience.

Hmm... her neck isn't described at all; only her wound from Biter was.

A simple hope: Jaime's act of just coming with Brienne in the hopes of saving "Sansa" from "the Hound" should prove he's willing to keep his vows. It also shows that he'd follow Brienne around to dangerous territory (Freys hanged left n right in the woods). I wonder if a simple role-play of sorts could be staged by the BwB: Jaime with his left hand vs Lem under the Hound's helmet. That could definitely prove Jaime hasn't forgotten his oath to return Sansa whatever it takes.

...Then again, that's overreaching on unCatelyn's ability to forgive and accept that some people change over time, which Jaime has been doing all throughout AFFC and a good better half of ASOS. I'm hoping that Brienne and Jaime plan something on the way (or, at least, Jaime's told SOMETHING instead of going into the BwB's unfriendly open arms blind), or that something "game-changing" was introduced behind the scenes to explain for Brienne's sudden appearance. Bah, the cliffhanger is killing me.

I don't know why, but for some reason when I read that chapter I had the distinct impression that Brienne was now a red zombie. Even if Thoros couldn't do it anymore, red priests are coming out of the woodwork and they are all getting more and more powerful. If UnCat's still around it could be for judgement/vengeance, if not, Jaime would be a handsome ransom for the BwB.

I guess Brienne could have just been cut down (or had the rope chewed apart, hence the face wound), but some thing about the way she spoke just didn't sit right with me. Re-reading it, I think it may be that she never once addresses Jaime as Kingslayer. I guess she did kind of stop doing that anyway back when they were still at King's Landing towards the end of aCoK, but even then it still seemed like she may have thought Kingslayer was his actual name.

I think Brienne is playing by ear. She had to save Pod but doesn't want to kill Jaime. I think she will try to think of a way to trick Stonehart or convince her and the BWB that Jaime aint so bad. She will probably fail.

Well, UnCat and the BwB almost certainly have Pod and Ser H as hostages. Brienne's best bet is to try and get Sansa, then return Sansa and Jaime to UnCat in return for Pod and Heyle. Don't know if she'll have enough time, but that is the play I'd make. Or she could get Sansa, and return her to UnCat and let Jaime go, and go face the music, hoping UnCat would trade Hyle and Pod for Sansa.

But since she already made the promise to get/kill Jaime, I think she will take him back.

Archived