Huge Blast in Oslo

Huge blast in central Oslo

There have been a blast outside the PM's office in Oslo, with huge material damage in the surrounded area. The first reports of casualties have come in, but it's still to early to have an overview of the situation.

Given the location, and extend of damage, it's quite apparent that this was no accident (no gas lines or such). If this is an act of terrorism, which seems likely, this is certainly the worst case since WWII. (There were couple of bombs in the 80'ies instigated by neo-nazi's, leaving one dead.)

Anubiel works a couple of hundred meters from the blast, but seems to be doing well.

I'm fine, my ear hurts, but that's nothing. It was really scary, though. I'm still shaken. The entire front of my building was smashed from the blast, and they ended up evacuating the building, fearing there were more bombs in the area. It's really unreal, the centre of Oslo is in chaos.

Jeez, that sucks a bunch. Glad you're ok, Anubiel, hope the ear recovers quickly.

...who'd want to fuck with Norway? Stuff like this is alwayz terrible, but it makes a certain grim sense when it happens in some countries. Norway, though?

I haven't seen any reported deaths, maybe we'll get lucky on this one.

I'm fine, my ear hurts, but that's nothing. It was really scary, though. I'm still shaken. The entire front of my building was smashed from the blast, and they ended up evacuating the building, fearing there were more bombs in the area. It's really unreal, the centre of Oslo is in chaos.

I'm really glad to hear that you're OK, Anubiel. I hope the rest of our Oslo-based crew are also unharmed.

They have now also confirmed that there was at least one car bomb and that it was a terrorist attack. Thing is, it's now the middle of the summer holiday, so there were few people at work. It was also past normal working hours (bomb went off at 15.20, working hours in the government end at 15), so hopefully there were few people actually in the buildings that were the hardest damaged.

There are also lots of buildings on fire now.

Yeah, this is awful.

I also hope everyone in my hometown (on and off these boards) are well. I live in London, and it seems that my friends and family are all safe, although a couple were in the affected area at the time of the explosion.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is connected to our participation in the war in Afghanistan.

:grouphug: Stay safe. Hope there aren't any more deaths.

Any idea why this would happen?

Is Mahmoud Abbas still in Oslo?

We do have a few troops in Afghanistan. And Norway represents an easier target than a few others, I suppose, wrt access to government buildings.

Glad to hear Anubiel is all right. My in-laws were in Oslo having just visited us, but we just got confirmation they have not come to harm. Not that we expected it, but...

It appears it isn't over yet - also reports of other possible bombs around the city. And a shooting at Utøya - a summer camp for AUF (the labour party's youth). Gro Harlem Brundtland (former PM) was holding a speech there today! Jesus christ

Archived