[ADwD Spoilers] Is Jon handsome?

jurble

Might seem like a silly question, but we've seriously had no physical beauty evaluation on Jon in years. I had been hoping for Melisandre's PoV to give an indication of what Jon looks like these days, but she didn't do it.

I'm of the suspicious that Jon is pretty darn handsome. Both Val and Alys seemed to find him attractive, though that might have been only because of his being close to their ages and in a position of power.

Well...he is never described as dashingly handsome...but never described as homely either. In my head he's good-looking but in a regular fashion, nothing to write home about. Combine his regular looks with his fighting technique and personality and I'd say he's attractive.

The way Ygritte was acting I kept asking myself, "Does he really look that good to you?"

But based on the other Wildlings he probably was the most handsome guy that she's ever seen.

I guess he wasn't bad but Robb was preferred by the females.

I imagine he looks like very much like the Starks in the crypts at Winterfell, and his father for that matter, since the descriptions of the three often overlap. Much is always made of their long-faces, although, unless I mistake myself, Jon's doesn't carry a beard. Melisandre and Sam, at least, never seem to mention one.

Having said that, given the general coolness of his character, he probably cuts a very severe figure. Grey, unblinking eyes, long face, dispassionate persona, dark hair. He's not very tall but quite thin. In other words, he's altogether non-descript, but if anything, he just looks like a typical Stark. I imagine he looks a lot like Arya -- same hair color, same eyes, also a long face, skinny, and so forth.

We don't really know because no POV really thinks about it. When he had more contact with other POVs, he was too young (who's handsome at 14?). Now that he's grown up, though.. I'd suppose so.

Robb was probably preferred because he was the Lord.

Between his black clothes, long face, and big white canine, I'm trying really hard not to make a Neil Gaiman joke. :laugh: But seriously, I think he's somewhat attractive but not traffic-stopping, but may well be one of the better looking NW guys considering the other ones that get sent there.

Well if you believe R+L=J, and the fact that Rhaegar and Lyanna were supposed to be pretty attractive, I figure Jon is pretty handsome.

Jon was also high born or at least high raised. Access to a proper diet and whatnot probably helped him be tall, fit, etc.

We know he has a sexy/sinister scar by his eye, and of course chicks dig scars.

My impression is that he is neither good looking or ugly (because that would have been mentioned) but his strength of character, stern gaze, et cetera are very attractive to some women. Val is impressed by his ability to hold the wildlings, Stannis, and the NW together (much like her sister & Mance). Alys likes him because he's doing the right thing, is a manly man, and very Stark. As for Yggrite, I always figured it was simply that he had stolen her. She was conditioned by her society to be attracted to anyone who could sneak up on and kick the asses of the males that surrounded her.

Well if you believe R+L=J, and the fact that Rhaegar and Lyanna were supposed to be pretty attractive, I figure Jon is pretty handsome.

Jon was also high born or at least high raised. Access to a proper diet and whatnot probably helped him be tall, fit, etc.

We know he has a sexy/sinister scar by his eye, and of course chicks dig scars.

Actually, we know he is not that tall. He is fit and sleek though.

Might seem like a silly question, but we've seriously had no physical beauty evaluation on Jon in years. I had been hoping for Melisandre's PoV to give an indication of what Jon looks like these days, but she didn't do it.

I'm of the suspicious that Jon is pretty darn handsome. Both Val and Alys seemed to find him attractive, though that might have been only because of his being close to their ages and in a position of power.

I think he sounds handsome but not classically or amazingly so like Jamie. His features may be a bit too sharp, too closed and serious on a teenager. Jon sound like the type that becomes more handsome with age. He is not boy-band material like Rob put it that way! He may not be the best looking guy in the room but he sounds as if her can definitely hold his own and catch the eye. I think Dany would think he's cute :leer:

Incidentally although Dany is the most beautiful woman in the world we still haven’t gotten a good description of her through a POVs eyes, not even from Quentyn. I don’t know if GRRM has held back on purpose. I think Tyrion will give us a good verdict as to whether she is the most beautiful woman he has ever clapped eyes on when he finally meets her.

Actually, we know he is not that tall. He is fit and sleek though.

Relatively speaking here.

In a medieval scenario, high born people were generally taller than lower class people because of their access to a high protein and balanced diet.

Dunno about Jon, but Kit Harington is certainly cute.

Agreed. And since I saw the show before starting to read that's how, for better or worse, I picture Jon. Some characters have changed in my mind since I've read the series (Cersei and Sansa and Jorah) but not Jon.

I hate reading after seeing for this reason. But in this case I have to say I don't mind so much.

In the books, girls are swooning all over Jaime, Robb, Renly, Loras, Joffrey, etc., but only the wildling girls seem to find Jon particularly attractive. Considering that most of the wildling men are missing most of their teeth, missing random body parts, and haven't bathed for a year, the bar for attractiveness isn't exactly high. Jon probably looks decent and better than average (as would most highborn boys), but he's no hottie.

In the books, girls are swooning all over Jaime, Robb, Renly, Loras, Joffrey, etc., but only the wildling girls seem to find Jon particularly attractive. Considering that most of the wildling men are missing most of their teeth, missing random body parts, and haven't bathed for a year, the bar for attractiveness isn't exactly high. Jon probably looks decent and better than average (as would most highborn boys), but he's no hottie.

Jon's a bastard. I know this may come as a shock, but what did those "men" you listed have in common? They're all noble men whom could be considered a golden meal ticket for any woman thinking of showing off some cleavage.

I imagine Jon's not exactly deficient in the looks category. A healthy lifestyle, relatively high-class upbringing and the diet that goes with it, works wonders in a setting like like this.

Just thought I'd add that the whole conditioning/social class thing cn't be underestimated. Take an "average" healthy person and give them a celebrity's wardrobe, and they would look a lot better. This is even more true for medieval times- baths, nutrition, lack of manual labor (sweat and grime) and only fighting (scars, burns,deformities) with the benefit of good training, and equipment, etc. The nobles and knights in steel and silk are going to look a LOT better than the peasants in rags or the starving unarmored footsoldiers who lost an arm to an enemy's sword...

And, of course, there's the social class. Wealth=Food, free time, and luxuries like baths, lack of labor, clean clothing, and servants to do your dirty work.

There's a reason that most of the "ugly" people are deformed, scarred, and/or fat.

Archived