What a fight scene!

Mattyp

The Red Viper vs Gregor Clegane!

My heart was in my mouth the whole time, definitely the best 'action' scene in the novels so far!

I cannot believe the outcome though, GRRM pulls you one way and then the other. I am kind of annoyed that another great character has bit the dust though.

I was really looking forward to seeing more of the Red Viper, he was such a great character, and his fighting style definitely outmatched the Moutain's! In the realms of reality I think it's fair to say that the Mountain would most definitely be dead, a pierce like that under the armpit would cause immense internal bleeding, and the jab to his stomach would most likely have knocked the man out. But then again it is 'The Mountain'.

Yeah, that was an awesome duel. I really didn't expect the outcome.

I adored Tyrion's increasingly ecstatic stance as the Viper smashed Clegane to hell and back, and that O-SHI moment where The Mountain claims the upper hand and Tyrion completely loses his composure. That entire fight was pure epicness.

I got so excited reading this that I started telling my husband about it before I finished. I was like yes! yes! yes! Then start reading again and Oh wait, no! no! no!

One of my favorite parts in the book.

True, it was an awesome scene, and I hope they do it justice in the TV series, if they reach that far. I was also very hopeful that the Red Viper would win because it promised such a great conflict for the Lannister family, Cersai more than Tywin.

Her daughter is decalred Queen of the seven knigdoms (which might still happen, who knows), whereas her son has been declared King.

But alas, that was not to be! :(

True, it was an awesome scene, and I hope they do it justice in the TV series, if they reach that far. I was also very hopeful that the Red Viper would win because it promised such a great conflict for the Lannister family, Cersai more than Tywin.

Her daughter is decalred Queen of the seven knigdoms (which might still happen, who knows), whereas her son has been declared King.

But alas, that was not to be! :(

It would of been a fantastic twist if the Red Viper did win (which I suppose he sort of did, did he got eye fingered)! It would of been amazing to see a Cersei vs Tywin turn, but I guess GRRM has bigger ideas.

I really hope the Mountain doesn't survive his injuries, that would be a little bit of a stretch I believe!

The Red Viper

Didn't care about Tyrion's fate I think. All that mattered to him was that he could hit Gregor once so that the poison would set in, to avenge his sister. So even though he was killed, what he was aiming for was a complete success.

• 2 months later...

I kind of think the end of this fight was totally ludicrous. If Clegane was going to win lets have it in a less unbelieveable fashion than a guy bleeding from multiple wounds and impaled with a weapon being able to throttle another strong man from his back using only his hands. Totally unbelievable to me I know the Mountain is extremely strong but Martell was uninjured and would have responded with all his strength to break away from Clegane. Also, when someone would try to gouge out your eyes just closing your eyelids would most likey be protection enough to save your eyes until you could tilt your head away. Obviously it doesn't have to be totally believable for dramatic effect but I thought it was a lame effort by Marin all in all.

• 2 weeks later...

That scene was brilliant! I'd been wallowing in the bath for some time and was just pondering getting out when it began...let's just say I was looking somewhat prune-like by the time I'd finished reading it. I wasn't going anywhere while that was going on! Disgruntled at the outcome though.

It really was an amazing scene, even when Oberyn stood up and said he would fight for Tyrion. Was an absolutely amazing sequence of scenes. I was upset that Oberyn, was killed though. but the fashion of his death, i thought was amazing. Hearing the Mountain give Oberyn the answers he wanted, as the mountain literally crushed him to death.

As others have said, that was such a great scene. Easily one of the best in the series. I love it when he sceams "EEEELLLLLIIIIIAAAA!!" and then, "The snake has vaulted over the mountain." And of course Tyrion's "Snakes have no hands".

I kind of think the end of this fight was totally ludicrous. If Clegane was going to win lets have it in a less unbelieveable fashion than a guy bleeding from multiple wounds and impaled with a weapon being able to throttle another strong man from his back using only his hands. Totally unbelievable to me I know the Mountain is extremely strong but Martell was uninjured and would have responded with all his strength to break away from Clegane. Also, when someone would try to gouge out your eyes just closing your eyelids would most likey be protection enough to save your eyes until you could tilt your head away. Obviously it doesn't have to be totally believable for dramatic effect but I thought it was a lame effort by Marin all in all.

Totally disagree. By all accounts, Gregor Clegane is by far the biggest man in the realm (and perhaps even the world). GRRM has made it pretty clear that the guy is freakishly strong (i.e. chopping the heads off of horses, swinging a two-handed great sword with one hand, etc..). He's definitely unique, but I don't think he's completely unrealistic. Given the vast number of people in the world, odds suggest someone is bound to be freakishly big & strong, just as there's bound to be someone who can run faster than everyone else, or someone who's better at archery, or can jump higher, etc...

And as for him turning the tables on Oberyn, it didn't strike me as wholly unbelievable. In certain cases, adrenaline can give people almost superhuman strength when their life, or their loved ones lives are threatened. There have been cases of middle-aged mothers pulling cars off of their crushed children. Likewise in war, there have been instances in which multiple shots to the abdomen have not deterred soldiers from attacking. In many cases, their fervor was only enhanced by their wounds.

So, I would imagine that when a man as freakishly large and strong as Gregor Clegane is threatened with death, the adrenaline rush he'd get would probably be enough to fuel a bus. And, even though the Red Viper is a strong and able man in his own right, he'd probably look like a child standing next to Gregor. So, no, it didn't surprise me at all when Gregor got a hold of him. And as for the poison...

it's slow acting, so Gregor wouldn't feel its full effect until well after the match was over.

• 2 weeks later...

In a narrative dealing with snow zombies, dragons and shape shifters, this is where you draw the line in your suspension of disbelief?

• 4 months later...

Weasel_Soup is right - the finale of the fight was goofy, not to mention depraved & gory.

I liked it. Once again, a character let thoughts of vengeance and bloodlust get in the way of what needed to be done. The Mountain was 100% warrior; give him any opportunity and he will find a way to kill you. I thought it was gory but truthful to the two characters.

The Red Viper vs Gregor Clegane!

My heart was in my mouth the whole time, definitely the best 'action' scene in the novels so far!

I cannot believe the outcome though, GRRM pulls you one way and then the other. I am kind of annoyed that another great character has bit the dust though.

I was really looking forward to seeing more of the Red Viper, he was such a great character, and his fighting style definitely outmatched the Moutain's! In the realms of reality I think it's fair to say that the Mountain would most definitely be dead, a pierce like that under the armpit would cause immense internal bleeding, and the jab to his stomach would most likely have knocked the man out. But then again it is 'The Mountain'.

I remember reading that, and being like, "Seriously? Throw us a bone already!"

The Mountain chopped the head off a horse with a broad sword.....

Archived