(Book Spoilers) Movie Idea to go with the Show

Sword of the North

New to the forums, but I was wondering what people thought of this. What if the Rebellion and the Dunk and Egg stories were made as films?

Doing it that way would mean that the epic battles from before the series would be better produced, with a bigger budget and what not. You wouldn't even have to watch/read the books to be able to get into the plot would you? Some of the more expensive scenes that wouldn't be possible for t.v could be made. Plus, some of the actors/actresses could return for minor spots.(Or would the whole age difference be too much? I just want to see more Sean Bean as Ned!) But more of the ambiguous scenes from the books will have to be kept that way, like ToJ.

Which would be a better choice, the Rebellion or Dunk and Egg? Or does this idea have absolutely no merit at all?

I was thinking about this. I'd like to see Robert's Rebellion adapted to TV/film, but the best bet would be film, since TV wouldn't be able to handle the scope of the battles. But, like Oberyn said, I don't think it'd be that commercial. Quite possibly it could, but you'd need Mark Addy and Sean Bean to really make it work, but Robert's supposed to be this strong, fit warrior, whereas when we meet him in AGoT he's a fat, out of shape drunk. So I don't know, I wanna see that phase of Westeros in better detail. Hoping after ASoIaF, he makes a prequel.

New to the forums, but I was wondering what people thought of this. What if the Rebellion and the Dunk and Egg stories were made as films?

Doing it that way would mean that the epic battles from before the series would be better produced, with a bigger budget and what not. You wouldn't even have to watch/read the books to be able to get into the plot would you? Some of the more expensive scenes that wouldn't be possible for t.v could be made. Plus, some of the actors/actresses could return for minor spots.(Or would the whole age difference be too much? I just want to see more Sean Bean as Ned!) But more of the ambiguous scenes from the books will have to be kept that way, like ToJ.

Which would be a better choice, the Rebellion or Dunk and Egg? Or does this idea have absolutely no merit at all?

Hmmm, the Rebellion would never work as a movie. It's hard to market a movie as the prequel to a TV show, a show that the majority of the movie going audience will not have seen. Also, since it's set 17 or so years before GoT, Sean Bean and Mark Addy wouldn't really work playing Ned and Robert. Also, there are still too many characters and events to fit into one movie and have it make sense, so it would have to be really compressed. Plus, if a studio did make the movie, it would end up being PG-13, which would suck.

I could see the Dunk and Egg stories as a miniseries or tv movies; there's not a whole lot of big action sequences and each one could probably fit in an hour to ninety minutes.

I really want there to be a series of HBO movies based on Dunk and Egg stories. I love those and think that if they were advertised in "The world of Game of Thrones" and what not, they'd draw an audience.

When HBO surpasses the published books of Ice and Fire, they can do what Spartacus did and do a prequel for a season before returning to the main storyline. :lol:

Such a project could indeed be commerical. Even the Firefly movie "Serenity" was a box office success and helped the series attaining cult status.

By the time we (hopefully) get to the fourth or fith season, GoT will be such a phenomenon that a Theatrical release of Robert's Rebellion would be feasible. After all by then even more people will be open minded about Fantasy films, after the phenomenally successive Hobbit films. I think that the best way to link the film to the show would be to cast younger actors and use old Ned and Robert as storytellers, same as Bilbo and Frodo in the Hobbit. The story would certainly have enough material to make a strong story: The main events of course will be:

Spoiler
Summerhall, Aerys madness, the Trident, Tower of Joy
, but there are a lot of interesting stories along the way. For example Cersei meeting
Spoiler
Maggy the frog
, Littlefinger fighting
Spoiler
Brandon
, Maester Aemons
Spoiler
tragic decissions
, Varys
Spoiler
establishing his network
, Benjen
Spoiler
joining the Night's Watch
,the Calling of
Spoiler
the Banners
(in the scale it should have been in Season 1) the
Spoiler
honorous days
of the Kingsguard and the
Spoiler
kingslaying
, Doran and Oberyn
Spoiler
plotting
, the
Spoiler
treachery
of the Lannisters,
Spoiler
Dandaerys strombirthing
, Rhaegar, Lyanna, Wylla... I could go on and on... This is fantastic stuff that would supplement the TV series but would also work as a standalone movie, which the Blackfyre Rebellion would not. While I love the Dunk and Egg stories, they don't have the scale for cinema
Spoiler
(Hedge Knight features only Woods and the Tournament, Sworn Sword a castle, some fields and a tower and a 30 men battle...have yet to read Mystery Knight)
but could work as TV movies.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been hoping for a while that HBO would make some 2 hour movies based on the D&E stories. I think that already there is the audience for it.

I really want there to be a series of HBO movies based on Dunk and Egg stories. I love those and think that if they were advertised in "The world of Game of Thrones" and what not, they'd draw an audience.

HBO should do the Duncan and Egg stories next year for an inbetween seasons thing like Starz did with that Spartacus show by making a prequel show before the second season. Think it'd be a great idea, and would really keep more fans entertained whilst waiting for the new season next year.

I like the idea of having a 'Gods of The Arena'-esque prequel for Dunk & Egg, but when to do it? There are at the very very least 4 more seasons worth of plots, assuming they cram everything in. I know they have said the TV series will be divergent from the books eventually, but surely that only adds to this number. Assuming (ASoS Spoiler)

they make it past the RW

, there isn't going to be any timeframe for fitting in even more production, script-writing etc. until all of the already written major storylines play out. When you factor in that they almost need to rush thru the seasons whilst the kids are still young enough to be kids, surely it isn't feasible until at least post-season 5, by which time book 6 may be close *praying*...

For me, it won't happen for many years (at least not by the same team that produce the show). Which is gutting, because they would be excellent features, even as stand-alones.

Archived