[ADwD Spoilers] Perfumed Seneschal

pow

This is a bit OT and discussed elsewhere, but having a plan A(egon), B(iserys, spanish pronounciation), and D(any) is better than just relying on a single child to make it to adulthood in the middle ages. Not saying that's necessarily the case, but it's a reasonable explanation.

Well I agree. Having more than one plan certainly helps the odds of being successful. But my point was that I don't think Aegon was plan A. I think he was plan C.

Glass candles: Obsidian candles at the Citadel.

Pale mare: Disease.

Kraken: Victarion.

Dark flame: Moqorro.

Lion: Tyrion.

Griffin: Connington.

Sun's son: Quentyn Martell.

Mummer's dragon: Aegon (or "Aegon"), an instrument of Varys (the mummer)

Perfumed seneschal: The ship whose name translates to "stinky steward."

Where is Marwyn the Mage in all this? I thought he was on his way to Dany as well.

It's possible that he could be the Perfumed Seneschal.

Where is Marwyn the Mage in all this? I thought he was on his way to Dany as well.

It's possible that he could be the Perfumed Seneschal.

Thats what i suggested him or the guy hes racing.

So I've had this idea, and it's a bit of a stretch, but I was thinking that the dangerous passenger from The Stinky Steward could be Penny.

The Yunkai'i are going to start flinging plague-infested bodies over the walls to infest the city. But Dany's inner circle will most likely remain safe inside pyramid from that attack. However, if Penny is with Jorah and Tyrion, she could likely come into contact with a lot of the council members, especially with Tyrion hiding her illness. I can't imagine a much worse situation for Dany than when (or if) she gets back to Meereen to find out most of the people she has come to trust died of the bloody flux. It was already foreshadowed a bit with Doreah, so I could see it taking out Irri, Jhiqui, Missandei, whatever kos happen to be around, potentially even Barristan (although hopefully not).

Also, unless Dany's currently on the pale mare herself, it has yet to affect her or any one she knows personally, so one could argue that part of the prophecy is not fully played out yet.

• 2 months later...

I'm coming up on the 'sinking' of the "stinky steward" on my re-read, so I will keep an eye out to see if it is actually sunk or just listing, waiting to be repaired and put into use in association with Dany.

Also, I will then forget to come back to this thread to update it, so my post is really kind of pointless :)

I initially thought Reznak was too obvious an answer to the "perfumed seneschal" riddle. Then came the boat that Tyrion was on: "the stinky steward"; I thought I was being really clever linking the two together... then Dany never encountered the ship and its' passengers. Beyond that, Barristan's POV chapters kept mentioning Reznak as the perfumed seneschal...

...however, the moment I saw several posters mentioning Varys, then my opinion totally changed. Varys is such an obvious answer when you think about him, but with his absence in the recent books (up until the epilouge) I'd completely overlooked him. Good call!

• 2 weeks later...

Simple Theory:

Hope this hasn’t been brought up yet…

What about Jon snow? Not only the very simple connection between seneschal and steward (even though he’s commander now) but I think the key is what quaithe says before she mentions the seneschal, to remember the undying. The blue rose, and the smell of sweetnes it filled the air with. To make this come together the R + L = L or atleast Lyanna rumors must be true, since jon will symbolize the rose. It may be farfetched.. what do you think?

Its not Varys, in my opinion. Although I'll agree that the path to him has certainly been paved since book one, it simply doesnt make sense. Varys could have killed Dany at any point. He works with Illyrio, whith whom Dany and Viserys were living for quite some time. Why allow them to exist only to kill them later? Makes no sense. Something else is aloof here.

Its not Varys, in my opinion. Although I'll agree that the path to him has certainly been paved since book one, it simply doesnt make sense. Varys could have killed Dany at any point. He works with Illyrio, whith whom Dany and Viserys were living for quite some time. Why allow them to exist only to kill them later? Makes no sense. Something else is aloof here.

Euh... one word : dragons.

He tried to kill her once, when she didn't have dragons. I don't think he wanted to, but he just didn't care about her, so he followed the orders, whatever. But now that she has dragons... that changes everything.

Euh... one word : dragons.

He tried to kill her once, when she didn't have dragons. I don't think he wanted to, but he just didn't care about her, so he followed the orders, whatever. But now that she has dragons... that changes everything.

No one knew she would hatch those eggs. Illyrio gave them to her anyway. If carts goal was to kill targaryens, he would have done so in the beginning, when she was a mere child before she had an army. The same goes for Aegon. Illyrio knew where he was ad could have easily killed him before they enlisted the golden company. Vary often mentions he wants what's best for the realm. Aegon and Dany know how to rule righteously.

Do they really? Eagon has never rule, Varys wants and hope he will do right for the realm but that need to be seen. and Dany is not doing very well as a ruler where she is right now , She is learning . Eagon rushed to Westeros to impress dany in the end not because he cares about the westerosis for sure.

Question - did the order of the prophesy matter in any way?

"No. Hear me, Daenerys Targaryen. The glass candles are burning.

Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun’s son and the mummer’s dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal."

Because the pale mare is a recent occurrence. and it says "after her" come the others. Sers Kraken and Dark Flame seem en route to arrive next, as in the prophesy it is stated, but there's the sun's son, who everyone is pretty much convinced was Quentyn. But he came before the pale mare, and the rest.

Question - did the order of the prophesy matter in any way?

"No. Hear me, Daenerys Targaryen. The glass candles are burning.

Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun’s son and the mummer’s dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal."

Because the pale mare is a recent occurrence. and it says "after her" come the others. Sers Kraken and Dark Flame seem en route to arrive next, as in the prophesy it is stated, but there's the sun's son, who everyone is pretty much convinced was Quentyn. But he came before the pale mare, and the rest.

They also seem to be in pairs: Victarion & Moqorro, Tyrion & Aegon, Quentyn & ? (who's the mummers dragon that arrives w/Quent. my theory is Brown Ben Plum, the Plums were connected to the Blackfyres [mummers dragons]).

And the perfumed seneschal, I think it may be someone new who Dany now encounters while with the Khalasar. I think the current list of suspects is too easy, and the prophecy does say they will come AFTER the "pale mare" so she (and us) may not have met them yet.

And the perfumed seneschal, I think it may be someone new who Dany now encounters while with the Khalasar. I think the current list of suspects is too easy, and the prophecy does say they will come AFTER the "pale mare" so she (and us) may not have met them yet.

That does knock Reznak out of the running for the "perfumed seneschal", since Dany met him before the pale mare came.

That does knock Reznak out of the running for the "perfumed seneschal", since Dany met him before the pale mare came.

TBH, it might or it might not. I'm not convinced I'm onto anything with the "AFTER" bit. Because if the order is important, why was the sun's son showing up before everything else, when he's at the end of the prophecy?

Reznak is still very viable as the PS.

I think he was out of the running just because he was too obvious. I also don't really see him as being that influential over Dany, he's not really THAT important for him to be mentioned specifically in a prophecy (unless we get thrown a huge curve ball and he ends up being of some secret significance)

My problem is that a lot of things now a days are being dismissed for being too obvious.

To use an unrelated example: 1st novel - it was obvious LF was a schemer, but did a lot of characters truly take him seriously? No.

I think dismissing something because it's obvious is well, a bad plan. Dismissing something for having no context? Sure. But because it has some context, but maybe too much? No.

Archived