[ADwD Spoilers] Perfumed Seneschal

pow

I thought it was Varys, I thought it was Raznak, I thought it was the boat that Tyrion was on...then one day I saw this on the wiki while reading about the Citadel...now I'm wondering if the Seneschal that Quaithe is warning Dany of is actually a Maester. If there is a true Maester conspiracy as Barbary believes than perhaps Quaithe is warning Dany of that.

"Seneschal

The Seneschal is chosen from among the archmaesters by lot. A new one is chosen each year. The Seneschal is tasked with the governance of the Citadel. Most archmaesters consider it a thankless task that takes them away from their true calling.[3]"

I'm for this i definitely thing they are the ones to fear...They like the illuminati, i really think they are bent on riding the world of magical being and magic in order to usher in an age of reasoning and science.

Starks Among Us - Interesting theory; I had supposed the 'perfumed seneschal' at different points to be either Reznak or Varys, but dismissed both as being too obvious. I hadn't considered that the twist could be that they are actually the same. However, I've discovered this particular theory to be not exactly new.

However, and I don't take credit for the following points but to me they seem quite obvious:

1. Reznak achieves his position through heredity. If he were Varys, it's because Varys would have killed him and is impersonating him. The Meereenese nobles would have smelled something fishy. Plus Barristan Selmy doesn't smell a rat, who has proved to be a very observant man.

2. Varys would never have got back to King's Landing from Meereen in time to kill Kevan, so he must have been in King's Landing all along.

Plus Varys is plump whereas Reznak, I believe, is quite slender, so the appearance doesn't really match either totally.

No, not quite slender, but not as fat as Varys either. Also, it was Widowmaker who brought the subject up of the current post. My bad.

• 8 months later...

I guess hardly anybody will read this, but here it goes anyway.

Caithe's prophecy is not a prophecy but she is actually giving Dany information.

The glass candles are burning.

We know that the glass candles are burning from Sam's last POV. I can't recall if Dany knows what glass candles are so I don't know if she can make anything out of this information. However, I assume that it is really new information, as the chapter of Caithe's prophecy should be before Sam arrives in Oldtown. Remember that AFFC and ADWD are for a great part not in chronological order but divided geographically. That is the reason why Marwyn is not among those who are coming.

Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others.

The pale mare has come and killed, so no the others. The Others are coming for Dany, sounds interesting if you read it that way, I just realized.

Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun’s son and the mummer’s dragon. Trust none of them.

I just follow the most obvious interpretation: Victarion and Moquorro, Tyrion and Jon Connington, Quentyn and Varys dragon Aegon. She shouldn't trust any of them because they're all following their own agenda. The pairings makes sense because Victarion and Moquorro travel together, as did Tyrion and Jon. So why are Quenty and Aegon paired? Easy, they both wanted to marry Dany and get a dragon.

Remember the Undying.

This part is most unclear for me. The question is why should she remember the Undying. Because Pyat Pree tried to kill her, or should she remember the prophecies? In the last Dany POV in ADWD Caithe tells Dany to remember who she is, so this might just be some general advice, I don't know and I don't really care. So now the part the thread is all about:

Beware the perfumed seneschal.

In my opinion the entire prophecy is just Caithe giving Dany inormation what is happening right now. So Dany should beware of the perfumed seneschal right now. If you follow this logic it can't be the ship because it wouldn't anytime soon. Anyway if it isn't totally destroyed then it is in the hand of slavers and why should Dany need advice to beware of them? I think this is the red herring here. A red herring especially for alert readers. Varys might be a viable option, but he is too far away, although he is sometimes perfumed and kind of a seneschal.

My money is on Reznak for the perfumed seneschal. It is the most obvious choice, Selmy even calls him the perfumed senschal and Dany suspects that he might be the one Caithe was pointing at. Yet she does nothing, she listens to his council and although she doesn't really trust him she finally ends up doing what he wants, like marrying Hizdahr for example. Some say he isn't important enough, but even at the end of ADWD he ist still in Selmy's war council and the shavepate tells us that Reznak has many more informers than he himself does. Reznak is the only Dany "loyalist" who remains in his position after her disappearance. In the chapter where Hizdahr is holding court it also seems like Reznak is the one in charge. Reznak is powerful, much like Varys used to be powerful in KL although he only was a Lord by courtesy and had no "real power". So Caithe telling Dany to beware of Reznak is great advice. The irony is that Dany understands Caithe, knows who she is talking abouth and does absolutely nothing against Reznak.

It's not the fricken' boat.

As for the PS's real identity? I'd go with Varys, but I'm not really sure. He's certainly the character most associated with perfume. In the end, look at the data. How many times are the words "perfume" and "Varys" written together in the text? I am not going to bother to count, but I bet that would give us the answer.

In some of those pyramids, the Sons of the Harpy are plotting new murders even now, she thought, and I am powerless to stop them. Viserion sensed her disquiet. The white dragon lay coiled around a pear tree, his head resting on his tail. When Dany passed his eyes came open, two pools of molten gold. His horns were gold as well, and the scales that ran down his back from head to tail. “You’re lazy,” she told him, scratching under his jaw. His scales were hot to the touch, like armor left cooking too long in the sun. Dragons are fire made flesh. She had read that in one of the books Ser Jorah had given her as a wedding gift. “You should be hunting with your brothers. Have you been fighting Drogon again?” Her dragons had grown wilder of late. Rhaegal had snapped at Irri, and Viserion had set Reznak’s tokar ablaze the last time the Seneschal had called. I have left them too much to themselves, but where am I to find the time for them?

I have a theory that Tyrion will ride Viserion. In the quote above, Viserion set Reznak's tokar ablaze. I take it as a foreshadowing for Tyrion will undo the schemes of Reznak the perfumed seneschal.

• 6 months later...

THE PERFUMED SENESCHAL IS THE FUCKING SHIP.

Selaesori Qhoran.

Selaesori- flowery, or good smelling

Qhoran- a steward, or magister, someone who gives counsel

It fits, because usually prophecies like this can't be taken too literally, and the Daenerys should beware of the ship, because it brings Tyrion and Jorah, which will cause trouble for her.

I figured it out fuckazzzzs

I guess hardly anybody will read this, but here it goes anyway.

Caithe's prophecy is not a prophecy but she is actually giving Dany information.

We know that the glass candles are burning from Sam's last POV. I can't recall if Dany knows what glass candles are so I don't know if she can make anything out of this information. However, I assume that it is really new information, as the chapter of Caithe's prophecy should be before Sam arrives in Oldtown. Remember that AFFC and ADWD are for a great part not in chronological order but divided geographically. That is the reason why Marwyn is not among those who are coming.

The pale mare has come and killed, so no the others. The Others are coming for Dany, sounds interesting if you read it that way, I just realized.

I just follow the most obvious interpretation: Victarion and Moquorro, Tyrion and Jon Connington, Quentyn and Varys dragon Aegon. She shouldn't trust any of them because they're all following their own agenda. The pairings makes sense because Victarion and Moquorro travel together, as did Tyrion and Jon. So why are Quenty and Aegon paired? Easy, they both wanted to marry Dany and get a dragon.

This part is most unclear for me. The question is why should she remember the Undying. Because Pyat Pree tried to kill her, or should she remember the prophecies? In the last Dany POV in ADWD Caithe tells Dany to remember who she is, so this might just be some general advice, I don't know and I don't really care. So now the part the thread is all about:

In my opinion the entire prophecy is just Caithe giving Dany inormation what is happening right now. So Dany should beware of the perfumed seneschal right now. If you follow this logic it can't be the ship because it wouldn't anytime soon. Anyway if it isn't totally destroyed then it is in the hand of slavers and why should Dany need advice to beware of them? I think this is the red herring here. A red herring especially for alert readers. Varys might be a viable option, but he is too far away, although he is sometimes perfumed and kind of a seneschal.

My money is on Reznak for the perfumed seneschal. It is the most obvious choice, Selmy even calls him the perfumed senschal and Dany suspects that he might be the one Caithe was pointing at. Yet she does nothing, she listens to his council and although she doesn't really trust him she finally ends up doing what he wants, like marrying Hizdahr for example. Some say he isn't important enough, but even at the end of ADWD he ist still in Selmy's war council and the shavepate tells us that Reznak has many more informers than he himself does. Reznak is the only Dany "loyalist" who remains in his position after her disappearance. In the chapter where Hizdahr is holding court it also seems like Reznak is the one in charge. Reznak is powerful, much like Varys used to be powerful in KL although he only was a Lord by courtesy and had no "real power". So Caithe telling Dany to beware of Reznak is great advice. The irony is that Dany understands Caithe, knows who she is talking abouth and does absolutely nothing against Reznak.

The whole point of a prophecy is to foreshadow things that are to come. Prophecies hint at what will happen in the future, not a specific set time.

• 2 weeks later...

The whole point of a prophecy is to foreshadow things that are to come. Prophecies hint at what will happen in the future, not a specific set time.

What Quaithe told Dany wasn't necessarily a prophecy. Because, "the glass candles are burning". It is possible that Quaithe has a glass candle, and she can see who is coming towards Dany. Kraken, Moqorro, Quentyn, fAegon, Tyrion, Jon Con have all started their journeys, or is ready to start when Dany is given this 'prophecy'.

But when you say 'beware of', it means the person is likely to do something harmful. It could be the ship, or Reznak, or Varys. Even Satin is a perfumed seneschal.

Glass candles: Obsidian candles at the Citadel.

Pale mare: Disease.

Kraken: Victarion.

Dark flame: Moqorro.

Lion: Tyrion.

Griffin: Connington.

Sun's son: Quentyn Martell.

Mummer's dragon: Aegon (or "Aegon"), an instrument of Varys (the mummer)

Perfumed seneschal: The ship whose name translates to "stinky steward."

:agree:

Quaithe adds 'remember the Undying'.

What the Undying tried to do was hijack Dany's power.

The same applies to all the persons on the above list: They all want a free ride on Dany's waggon to further their own interests.

And the Stinky Steward had not one, not two, but three of those freeriding hopefuls on board: Tyrion, Jorah AND Moqorro. So a warning concerning this ship was rather in order.

Sure - there are enough other perfumed seneschals around who also could be 'it'. But I put my money on the ship.

• 11 months later...
Archmaester Marwyn, the cliffhanger of FFC.

The quote starts with the talk about the glass candles, and ends withtbe one about them too.

The sentence structure makes things a little more interesting.

Here is a break down

"Kraken and dark flame" appear to be an obvious reference to Victorian and his dark skinned red priest.

Then we have a comma and

"Lion and Griffin" a reference to Tyrion and Aegon (young GRIFF) who traveled together as well.

Then we have another comma and...

"The Sun's son and the mummer's dragon" a reference to Doran and ..........

Discuss

Mummer's Dragons could mean House Toland (Dornish house with a dragon eating its own tail (basically they challenged Aegon to combat against their own lord, when he killed him it turns out to be the house's fool in his armor, and the derpy dragon are their joke)

Or it could be some Blackfyre. They are "playing" at being dragons.

I always thought that it was little finger. He is/was the master of coin, lord protector of the riverlands (i think. Memory is a little hazy) and the vale as a stand in for sweet robin. Sort of like a steward. And its been remarked that he always smells nice. And in the prophecy it is mentioned last so i think we will meet him/her after all the betrayals and other people. Or i could be way off

• 3 weeks later...

I think the perfumed seneshal is Jon Snow the perfumed being his tie in with the blue winter rose and the seneshal being that he used to be Mormonts steward

By that thinking, Dany should beware of Satin if she ever makes it to Castle Black.

Archived