Struggling with AFfC

Jayuk83

I'm halfway through the book and so far I feel it could have done with just one added POV for the Dornish side of the story, Arianne, and one for the Ironborn, Asha. For example, I really don't see the use of Aerys POV

He dies after his two chapters, and both of 'em had Arianne in them.

. Victarions chapter didn't add much to the story either, but I'm expecting he's going somewhere. Hotah's and Damphair's chapters in the beginning of the book were the set up for the Dornish and the Ironborne storylines, but the same info could probably have been in Arianne and Asha chapters. Those first sixty pages were really hard to get through because when you're new to the book, you have no idea who's who and whats important to remember, while there are loads of new characters and places. I do expect the book to get better with a reread though.

Well here we are 6 pages into this topic and a few Iron Born lovers? Maybe it's everyone's hate for Theon :dunno: I loved the Iron born chapters. this is my 2nd favorite book (ACoK reigns #1). Lack of action means nothing to me. Surprises and twist and character development like Jaime are what I love about all the books. I'm a "plot whore". I'm not the kind of guy that watches a new TV show if i missed the pilot. The more I know about EVERYTHING the more I will enjoy it. This book gives you details a-plenty and I loved every page.

Side note: i also love this book because never has a writter changed my opinion of someone who I HATED HATED HATED for 3 solid books in to one of my favorite characters. (Kingslayer)

Well done Mr. Martin.

It's not that I dislike the Iron Islands, I just dislike having 3 different perspectives of them. (Or was it 4?) It makes it hard to really connect with the characters when they are only getting a couple of chapters each. I would have dropped Damphair and had an extra 'The Reaver' chapter. The Dorne chapters would have benefited if they were all from Arianne's perspective as well imo.

• 6 months later...

It's taking time to get into the Ironblood chapters. At first, I dreaded them. I don't like them as people. They're pirates. Now, I believe them to be important to the development of the story. Reading about the fight for the Seastone Chair is like a political convention with all that chanting and screaming. Still, at political conventions usually candidates keep all their limbs and other body parts. I already feel that Victarion will get the seat and I'm in his first chapter.

This chapter and others make us see how dirty, murderous and arrogant these people are. We see why Theon couldn't be accepted by them after being raised by the Starks. I wonder if Robb knew what these people were like before he sent Theon to get his father's ships for their cause. Did he know they were thieves? Did rumors of them spread through the kingdom? These chapters make you see how hard and cold their world is.

I like the Brienne chapters. I like the travels. I like knowing that she isn't going to find Sansa, but she will be led somewhere else.

Jaime is a great POV character. Seeing in Cersei's delusions makes me hate her even more, but her passion, anger, etc, add to the power of Martin's tale.

AFFC gives us background for later books and understanding for the previous books. I'm glad that I started this series late. I started reading the first book, really reading it, not having it in my bag, not getting past the few two pages this month. It's going to be hard to wait for book 6. I have book 5 on order. I suppose, after reading book 5, I'm going to feel what it is to wait.

Archived