Struggling with AFfC

Jayuk83

This is the first of the series that I CAN put down. It seems a bit more.... political? I don't know. It's just slower paced I guess.

This is how I feel. I ploughed through the previous books, but I've been reading AFFC for 3 weeks now and I'm not even half way through. Ever chapter seems to be political or hard to get into. There are a few too many Iron Island characters, one would have been enough I feel. I still don't really understand what is going on in Dorne as well. I had no idea of who Arys was when I reached his chapter, and had to google his character to find out who he was!

This is how I feel. I ploughed through the previous books, but I've been reading AFFC for 3 weeks now and I'm not even half way through. Ever chapter seems to be political or hard to get into. There are a few too many Iron Island characters, one would have been enough I feel. I still don't really understand what is going on in Dorne as well. I had no idea of Arys was when I reached his chapter, and had to google his character to find out who he was!

IT DOES READ LIKE A MUCH LESS ACTION PACKED EXPERIENCE THAN THE FIRST 3 BUT SANSA, ARYA AND EVENTUALLY EVEN CERSEI GET REALLY INTERESTING.

I AGREE ABOUT THE IRON ISLANDERS.

I'm two chapters from the end and I honestly feel like this is probably one of the two best of the series so far (my absolute favourite being A Clash of Kings). I think it's wonderfully written and the new characters are generally brilliant, particularly the Iron Islanders, with the whole Kingsmoot deal being one of the best chapters of the series for me. Dorne is intriguing throughout and the pay-off (Doran's plan) is absolutely superb, and helps fill in a load of the gaps from the story so far. It may not be quite as action-packed or as death-filled as ASoS but I think it's better written, and I love the more political side of things (particularly what's going on in King's Landing, with Cersei's ridiculous ineptitude, especially how she has far too many irons in the fire) and the cautious, suspenseful waiting game a lot of the key players seem to be playing (Martell, Cersei, Jaime, Littlefinger).

I can't wait for ADwD if it's more of the same. I've kind of grown cold towards Dany since the first book, part of me thinks that the only reason that I enjoyed her chapters so much was because the characters around her - Viserys, Drogo, Mormont - were actually far more interesting than she was, and know they're all gone (although I'm obviously holding out for a Ser Jorah return, on one side of the narrow sea or the other) I groan every time I see one of her chapters. However, Tyrion, Jon, and Davos are three of my favourites so I'm looking forward to that, and the final chapters of Brienne, Sansa/Alayne, and Cersei (I still have Sam and Jaime's final chapters to go) promise interesting things in the next book.

^ LOL

I had read some comments before I started reading this book and I must say I was afraid that A Feast for Crows would turn into something very boring, but fortunately, I've read like 200 pages so far and I like it! :D Yes, it is slowed paced as someone had already mentioned, but it's nothing less important or interesting. The previous book left me heart-broken, so I believe I'm ready for anything that is lying ahead! :P

How am i arse licking ? Im putting my opinion out there. I agree with all opinions ive seen througjout this thread , but to a different degree. Many people have been complaining about the iron born , and i agree that their chapter are probably the most dull so far in the series but i still find it very intriguing. My argument and apparent "arse licking" is that people seem to dismiss these chapters as boring and retort with phrases like "why should i care". You should care because it is in the novels. Anyone can slew out a nonstop progression of exciting scenes with action and gore , but what truely makes a story is the detail and the abilty to emmerse readers into the world. Think of a cake. A cake without icing(action) is undoubtably a boring dessert, but a cake without dough isnt a cake at all.

Id like to think that it is a genuine admiration and respect for what Martin has done here, as opposed to arse licking. Id love to hear your rebuttal though, maybe it will be longer than one line

I'm taking this out of the Still reading - ASoS section because I think this topic would fit in better here:

Pacing issues are something we all feel, we all have our favourite story lines or character POVS that we can't wait to get back to. But trust me even the stuff that seems like it's gonna kill you to dredge through is worth it in the end.

Even if it turns out to be worth it in the end, shouldn't those chapters be enjoyable in their own right?

Right now, they really aren't.

I know GRRM set out to write an epic with grand scope and a lot of characters because he never could do that on TV.

But in AffC, it feels like he is inserting all those new guys just for the sake of having more characters. I could have done without any Greyjoy and one dornish character.

Also, having a few less whiny characters wouldn't be that bad either (I'm looking at you, Arys and Samwell!). Right now it's kinda crowded.

I'm taking this out of the Still reading - ASoS section because I think this topic would fit in better here:

Even if it turns out to be worth it in the end, shouldn't those chapters be enjoyable in their own right?

Right now, they really aren't.

I know GRRM set out to write an epic with grand scope and a lot of characters because he never could do that on TV.

But in AffC, it feels like he is inserting all those new guys just for the sake of having more characters. I could have done without any Greyjoy and one dornish character.

Also, having a few less whiny characters wouldn't be that bad either (I'm looking at you, Arys and Samwell!). Right now it's kinda crowded.

I agree with you that it is definitely crowded. I am on the first read through and I honestly for the life of me just cannot keep track of all the Iron Island characters. I had no idea who Euron was when he was introduced and it felt like he came from nowhere. Probably because Auron was pretty much the same name and adds to the confusion!

Does anyone else think that ASOIAF occasionally reads like there are only a limited amount of names in this world? It's like reading Wuthering Heights at times! :laugh:

Just want to chime in to say that this is probably my second favorite in the series so far (not read DWD) after Asos. I agree that the iron islanders is kind of boring in the first part of the book, but I did warm up to their chapters leading in to the kingsmoot. Loved Dorne. The Martells are easier to get into after reading about awesome Oberyn Martell. Jamie is awesomecakes throughout, he is fast becoming something like a favorite character of the bunch for me. Brienne travels the countryside and we get a first hand look at the strains the game of thrones puts on the common people, love that. Cersei is hillarious with her paranoia and her plots, but oh man I do hate her. And even Sansa is growing more and more resourcefull and independent, even under the manipulations of LF.

Really looking forward to DWD now!

I'm also lukewarm on Arys Oakheart. While its interesting to see the dornish side of things, he doesn't quite grip me as a character. But since I'm just into Arys II, I'm holding out hope for some good developments there.

Nevermind...

Finished AFFC and have ordered ADWD from Amazon. I still don't give a rat's arse for the Ironborn. A whole lot of detail for some pirates plundering the coastal communities. Looks like I got my wish with Rorge & Biter...but at what cost? And suddenly Stoneheart is reminding me of why I was always a little cool on Catelyn (with her assholishness toward Jon). The Lord Beric swap for Stoneheart has left even Boros doubtful of their cause.

I enjoyed the Dornish if for nothing else but to fill in some gaps in the whole story. But their motive sets up a protentially cool twist.

Lastly Cersei...what can I say, if you haven't finished, I don't want to spoil it...but I trust you will enjoy.

The Ironborn suck...it is known.

I know i'm in the minority here, but I actually enjoyed the iornborn. :shocked:

I enjoyed the Dorne chapters throughout the book, but if they seem a bit pointless, for me it definitely paid off in the last Dorne chapter.

AFFC is definitely less action packed, but I enjoyed the reading experience just the same. Yes, my favourite characters and storyline are not in there, but it gave me the chance to feel connected with characters I wouldn't have really cared about previously, because I would have just been so keen to get to my favs, that I would not have invested the time that certain POVs in this book deserve.

• 2 weeks later...

I read the first half of the book quite slowly, as I was getting used to the new POV characters and new locations in the book.

The second half I have flown through though, the pace of the story does seem to pick up again.

When new POV characters are introduced at this stage, it is bound to feel like it's dragging a little. We have been following all of the other cahracters for 3 books and feel desperate to know what is going to happen to them.

I felt the same way many of you do about Feast. The quality is not up to par with the other books. We as readers have given Martin a long bit of rope to expand his universe of characters and places, and the reward has always been there. In Feast, it was not. The universe expanded into... nothing really. I'm sure this book sets the stage for events in later books, but it's asking a lot of readers to slog through 1000 pages of what is essentially set-up material for something that won't be published for years, or even decades to come, if they ever are at all.

Frankly, the book was boring. A host of new characters were introduced, and I dutifully tried to invest the time to get into their motivations and stories, but I found myself not caring. Then, some of these new characters were either killed off or their plans came to naught, making me wonder why I invested the time at all. I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that old favorites like Arya and Sansa did absolutely nothing in the book. Brienne, who I like, wandered throughout the whole book in what the reader already knew was a futile quest. Sam traveled on a boat. That about sums up his whole story. Jamie's story was fleshed out and I liked Cersei's development, though I thought Martin could have condensed both of their stories greatly without losing anything. In fact, a dose of brevity is exactly what this book needed. In 1000 pages of reading, I would expect to see a lot more happen.

Archived