[Pre-ADwD Spoilers] Daenerys 3 - Spoilers for ADWD

Jon Targaryen

I only hope we will see the book next spring.

My hope is winter. It seems that the book will be ready in a month or two. GRRM canceled some Cons after all and is suspiciosly quiet in his blog... No word about the book while before he wrote rather much about his progress... If the editors will be fast...

Yes, I’m well aware of this and I agree that all these are sings that ADWD is indeed very close to completion. When we shell see either of our theories was right if any… :smug:

why is Marwyn cast as the crow in most theories? Euron as the crow make more sense although I'm not fond of that idea either

I don't quite get the Marwyn=crow-thing either. But Euron sends Victarion (kraken) on his behalf, he's not going himself so he doesn't really make sense to me either.

why is Marwyn cast as the crow in most theories? Euron as the crow make more sense although I'm not fond of that idea either

Basically because he appears to be important enough to be mentioned and doesn’t fit to anything else in prophecy. Besides there is no better candidate for “crow†part since it is known that Crow Eye sent Victarion instead of himself.

Basically because he appears to be important enough to be mentioned and doesn’t fit to anything else in prophecy. Besides there is no better candidate for “crow†part since it is known that Crow Eye sent Victarion instead of himself.

But what's stopping Euron from sneaking after Victarion? In fact, given their history, Euron has to be really naive to trust Vic to carry out his assignment. Unless Euron is certain Vic will fail and the mission is a move to get rid of Victarion permanently, I doubt he would let Vic go off unchecked.

But what's stopping Euron from sneaking after Victarion? In fact, given their history, Euron has to be really naive to trust Vic to carry out his assignment. Unless Euron is certain Vic will fail and the mission is a move to get rid of Victarion permanently, I doubt he would let Vic go off unchecked.

And who will lead Ironmen in his absence? That would be very dangerous for a new king to leave his people. Yet you may be right Crow Eye is mad enough for mad actions so IMHO we could not exclude such a possibility too.

• 2 weeks later...
And who will lead Ironmen in his absence? That would be very dangerous for a new king to leave his people.

Not at all. As far as Euron knows, every other potential claimant for the throne was disqualified by failing (or not making a bid) at the kingsmoot. On top of that, Aeron wouldn't support Asha's bid for the throne, Asha has a reason (Erik Anvilbreaker) to stay away from the Iron Isles entirely, the ironborn will likely be occupied by the impending attack from the Tyrells, and Euron's strongest potential rival is leading the Iron Fleet to Slaver's Bay. If we assume that Euron doesn't know about Theon, then where's the obvious danger to his throne that he missed?

Crow Eye is new to the throne and he should motivate his people and prove himself as a leader. So it would be unwise for him to leave them for their own devices in the midst of war he started so soon.

On the other side he indeed thinks that he has no opposition to his rule so he may indeed go after his brother and even reach Daenerys before him. He granted estates and titles to some of Victarion men so he may expect that they would follow him against his brother in the case Victarion will decide to betray him.

So I agree that we could not exclude the possibility that Crow Eye will to go to Daenerys.

• 2 months later...

Perhaps the seneschal is the other Maester coming to Dany on the galleon? There is the guy on Oldtown, Seneschal Theobold, who Samwell tries to see before Alleras comes to "redirect" him to Marwyn. Marwyn seems to think the "regular" Maesters might prove dangerous to Dany and her dragons, and plans to meet her ahead of whomever the citadel is sending.

Perhaps this "perfumed seneschal" is Seneschal Theobold of the citadel, who has a dark agenda behind an amiable image?

• 9 months later...

Not sure if I should add this to the list of crackpot theories but I thought I'd add it here since there is an element from the spoiler chapter.

If we consider Quaithe's first prophecy to Daenerys from ACoK as yet to be fulfilled then perhaps we can consider that it may be interpreted another way, especially if we treat Quaithe's reply to Dany's questions about Asshai as a red herring.

Instead of Quaithe hinting at how Dany can get to Westeros, perhaps it is meant to hint at how she should go about conquering Westeros once she gets there.

"To go north, you must go south."

She must start in the south and consolidate Dorne before heading north to the rest of Westeros. Quite ironic given Dorne's place in the first Targaryen conquest.

Or possibly, specifically, she must go to the Citadel to find information before heading north to the Wall to help battle the Others so there's a Westeros left to conquer.

"To reach the west, you must go east."

She must court the Vale and in particular Littlefinger or Sansa in order to then reign in the west.

This part could happen before the battle with the Others or after - I wouldn't be surprised if it is after as per the scouring of the Shire after the defeat of Sauron in TLoTR.

"To go forward you must go back"

Perhaps tied in with the visit to the Citadel for some history lessons both recent and in the distant past.

"...and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow."

I have no idea what this could be, any ideas?

Now come to Quaithe's second riddle for Daenerys. If Dany interprets the first riddle as a plan of conquest then she would be interested in what the new courtiers bring with respect to where their allegiances lie and influences are back in Westeros. :)

Instead of Quaithe hinting at how Dany can get to Westeros, perhaps it is meant to hint at how she should go about conquering Westeros once she gets there.

Interesting. "To go forward, you must go back" may simply mean that Dany has to learn the truth about her father (presumably from Barristan). She may not have the opportunity to visit the Citadel while she's fighting a war.

"...and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow."

I have no idea what this could be, any ideas?

I always interpreted this literally as the Shadow beyond Asshai, which does seem like one of the great mysteries in the series. Somebody has to figure out what's under the Shadow, and Dany seems well placed to do it.

here is my 2 cents worth,

we know that victarion is on his way to dany so he is obviously the kracken, griff i think is the griffin, tyrion or tyrek as the lion, remember tyrek is not listed as dead yet, i have a feeling he will make an appearance again. the crow i don't know, perhaps john has sent someone from the wall, or it is a reference to maester marwyn. i don't believe it is euron. suns son is pretty obvious, mummer's dragon is anyone guess i think, thing is there are so many people that has a story hanging, arya is in the free cities, robert's bastard ned is heading there, what happened to ned dayne after beric finally died? where is dany's old bear? i think there are so many possibilities out there and while some may be obvious i think george is to good a writer to make it all obvious.

Crow says Night's Watchman to me.

If Jorah was eventually going to take the Black as per Jeor's final instructions, then he could be a potential Crow?!

the only way i see someone from the wall heading to dany is if something bad happens to jon or he decides to foreswear his oath and commit the wall to dany's cause which would in effect put him in trouble as stannis would not like that. the proficy of stannis being consumed in flames maybe his demise by dany's hands though.

also i feel the senechel is in reference to one of the maesters from the citadel. why else would marwyn be in a hurry to get to dany and for him to want to keep sam from the others??? also in regards to the order and pairing of people in the procphecy i think it is more of a poetic verse rather than having them come by pairs. sun's son with mummer's dragon.

• 2 weeks later...

i have just been reading acok and it is mentioned in a conversationbetween dany and jorah that she saw a mummer's dragon when she visited the warlocks, jorah asks what a mummer's dragon is and she replies that it is a dragon made of silk suspended on poles for mummers to use so the heros have something to fight.

does this in anyway fit in or change peoples minds about the mummer's dragon quaithe mentioned???

• 4 weeks later...

Archived