[ADwD Spoilers] Syrio Forel?

Riki

Search function seems to be down at the moment, but I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are regarding Syrio's "death". Do you guys think he's dead?

My guess is that he will somehow run into Arya again. He has this thing about "seeing" things as they truly are, and Arya's being trained to be a master of deception, so their meeting will in a sense be a test for the both of them.

I hope that they don't have to mortally fight against one another. I get this sense that GRRM will make Syrio give Arya one final lesson, which she only learns through killing him. Some philosophical lesson about life and death and friends or whatever. That'd wreck me.

Some people have brought of the possibility that Syrio is Jaqen.

Not one of the theories I put much stock in.

Who really knows? He's been gone for quite awhile. I would think that if he were going to come back we would have at least had a hint about him by now.

Syrio is one of the only characters whose death we didn't directly witness who is most definitely dead. I wouldn't be mad if he turned out to still be alive, but I don't think he's he's Jaqen. The timing of Yoren drawing from the dungeons doesn't seem to match up with Syrio's apparent death. It could, I suppose, but I doubt it.

Syrio is one of the only characters whose death we didn't directly witness who is most definitely dead. I wouldn't be mad if he turned out to still be alive, but I don't think he's he's Jaqen. The timing of Yoren drawing from the dungeons doesn't seem to match up with Syrio's apparent death. It could, I suppose, but I doubt it.

A lot of characters have died "off screen" that we're pretty sure are dead. But I think GRRM made this guy's death vague on purpose and it worked out pretty well considering people are still talking about him being alive.

I loved Syrio Forel, but if it turns out he did not die and he comes back into Arya's life out of nowhere it would seem kind of lame, now. Better that he's dead and he dead pretty bad ass too.

The Syrio as Jaqen theory makes no sense. Syrio was the first sword of Braavos, a famous and renowned warrior. Jaqen is obviously a faceless man. I just don't see how, barring any seriously contrived circumstances, they could be the same person.

As I said, I don't put much stock in it. It's just one of those theories that gets brought up and argued over a lot.

The Syrio as Jaqen theory makes no sense. Syrio was the first sword of Braavos, a famous and renowned warrior. Jaqen is obviously a faceless man. I just don't see how, barring any seriously contrived circumstances, they could be the same person.

We've seen in ADwD that Faceless Men can assume the identity of anyone's face they've "appropriated". Apparently they store some of the memories too, so it's possible Jaqen assumed the identity of the former first sword of Braavos, like he did with the maester in training, Pate.

There's one huge difference between Pate and Syrio: Syrio was extremely accomplished, while Pate was a complete failure as a novice. That's likely why he chose to replace Pate, a useless student is the easiest person to replace without tripping up. He can just go on being useless, and everyone will just shake their heads and think: "That's Pate."

Well, there's always the question of WHY Syrio was in Kings Landing in the first place. I always found that a bit suspicious. Seems like a dump; why choose to live there when there are nicer places?

Archived