A Thread for Small Questions XI

Stubby

I already asked this but I was wanted to add another bit as well.

This question has been bugging me. How do they get the Oxen that pull the winch up, into the Eyrie? It says in the book that they slaughter them when the Eyrie is closed for Winter. If they do that however, how do the get new oxen up, come spring? Would they send a garrison up first and use them to winch up Oxen calves? That however seems to be a lot of trouble for two oxen.

The Eyrie is described as being as made of marble. It sounds quite impossible to have been built. Could the Eyrie have been a creation of Brandon the Builder, like The Wall and Storms End, hence why it is said to be impregnable? It appears from the story that Shadow magic can't penetrate Brandons creations. I was wondering if this could have significance later in the series.

This is not a question about the parentage of Jon Snow, there is enough threads about that but a question about the heritage rules.

Assuming Jon is Lyanna's son (not proven I know but not to discuss that here) and had never taken the black, would he have been heir to Winterfell after the death of Robba dn believed death of Bran and Rickon, or would Sansa still be the heir?

This is not a question about the parentage of Jon Snow, there is enough threads about that but a question about the heritage rules.

Assuming Jon is Lyanna's son (not proven I know but not to discuss that here) and had never taken the black, would he have been heir to Winterfell after the death of Robba dn believed death of Bran and Rickon, or would Sansa still be the heir?

I'd imagine daughters precede cousins in the Westerosi line of succession. See Asha Greyjoy's claim for the Iron Islands.

I'v checked the Wiki but I can't find much on it. What was The Year of the False Spring? I know it was the year in which everything that led to the Mad Kings downfall occurred.

I assume it was a year when the Winter appeared to have gone, when it hadn't, but have we had any clarification as to what actually happened? Or is it called the Year of the False Spring due to the events which occurred during that year?

Not sure if this has been answered already...

How come the two wights that the NW found in GOT could re-animate at Castle Black? i thought the Wall was protected by spells because Coldhands couldn't pass? Does the spells only apply to the Others?

How come the two wights that the NW found in GOT could re-animate at Castle Black? i thought the Wall was protected by spells because Coldhands couldn't pass? Does the spells only apply to the Others?

I don't remember seeing that question before. I guess if it's true that wights and Others can't get past the wall on their own, these two got through because the NW brothers brought them. They were playing dead the whole time for that reason, so it's not like they re-animated on the south side. They were animated the whole time.

Maybe Cold Hands couldn't go through the Weirwood door? Maybe the wights can pass the Wall but not go through the Weirwood door.

Can anyone tell me what is or where can I find Old Nan's story about the Last Hero?

Or am I just imagining that there ever was a last hero story?

It's in GOT, just before Tyrion returns to Winterfell with Yoren. The key point is that when all hope seems lost, the hero finds the Children of the Forest, who aid him in defeating the White Walkers.

My question - what did Joffery do to Tommen.? In AFFC, Tommen tells Jaime that he used to do something when Joffery... and then he trails off. Is there any other evidence about this? Does anyone else have the exact quote?

Here's something else that's been bothering me for a long while. Why is Robert's Rebellion known as Robert's Rebellion and not Jon's Rebellion or something like that? Yes, I know that Baratheon did end up being the king but it was Jon Arryn who made the first traitorous act when he refused to turn over Eddard and Robert. Even then we had Brandon Stark who called out the Targs leading to his own death. So why all the stag love?

What kinds of possible ends are there for one-time members of the Small Council? I mean, it seems like you either suck at your job and get sacked in disgrace, or you get accused of treason and lose your head, or you die at your post. Is this perception wrong? Is it very different from real life medieval cabinets?

Did no one ever just serve six or seven years and then say, "I'm going home, your Majesty. It has been my pleasure to serve, but I'm ready to move on" ...?

Maps Question:

I have read all the books. I still get confused piecing all the myriad maps together.

Where exactly is Valyria in relation to the Free Cities? Directly south? East? Is Qarth on any of the maps? I couldn't find it.

Here's something else that's been bothering me for a long while. Why is Robert's Rebellion known as Robert's Rebellion and not Jon's Rebellion or something like that? Yes, I know that Baratheon did end up being the king but it was Jon Arryn who made the first traitorous act when he refused to turn over Eddard and Robert. Even then we had Brandon Stark who called out the Targs leading to his own death. So why all the stag love?

Because Robert was the rebellion's figurehead and took the throne as a result. Naming the Rebellion after the man who was second-in-command at best and subsequently became Hand on the grounds that technically, he was the first one to actually rebel, is not really a very good choice. Particularly as by that logic, it should probably actually be called 'Brandon's Rebellion'. :P

What kinds of possible ends are there for one-time members of the Small Council? I mean, it seems like you either suck at your job and get sacked in disgrace, or you get accused of treason and lose your head, or you die at your post. Is this perception wrong? Is it very different from real life medieval cabinets?

Did no one ever just serve six or seven years and then say, "I'm going home, your Majesty. It has been my pleasure to serve, but I'm ready to move on" ...?

Almost certainly they do, though we have few specific examples. Tywin, of course, resigned after a falling-out with Aerys. Cersei has sacked or moved a few of her Small Council, but not all were 'in disgrace'. LF moved on to become Lord Paramount of the Riverlands. I'm sure there are other examples. Small Council posts are not for life.

Maps Question:

I have read all the books. I still get confused piecing all the myriad maps together.

Where exactly is Valyria in relation to the Free Cities? Directly south? East? Is Qarth on any of the maps? I couldn't find it.

Southeast of the Free Cities. If you search for 'ASOIAF World Map' there are a few (slightly speculative) world maps out there - most of these do contain minor spoilers for ADWD though.

Thanks for the link. Found great maps. Just finished the book so no problem about spoilers. Where exactly is Oldtown, if I may continue with my questions. Couldn't find it on the map.

Oldtown is at the mouth of the Whispering Sound at the end of the Rose Road. On the maps (showing the south) in the books it's bottom left just above Three Towers to the NE.

we know stark children are wargs..Bran wants to fly, is it possible that Bran, Arya, and Rikkon could take the dragons body too, are dragons exceptions

It may or may not be possible depending on the dragon and the strength of the warg , for example, when varamyr sixskins attempted to take over his spear wife he failed because she was able to overpower him and push him out of her body. Considering how Bran, Rickon, arya, and Jon are not very experienced wargs and the fact that dragons are extremely powerful, it doesn't seem possible.

Archived