Well, google books free preview just ran out...

Ile de Le Fleur

Hi, I guess this will serve as an introduction to the board. I am one of the many who had never heard of this series before the HBO show came out, but immediately I was hooked on the show. Even so, I never thought I would have time to get into the books because they are sooo long. But after the finale of GoT I realized there was no way I could possibly wait for Season 2 to find out what happens.

I was going to jump right into the second book but friends persuaded me to start from the beginning. I have NEVER read a book so quickly. I finished the whole thing in about a week which, for me anyway, was a record.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to put my hands on a copy of aCoK, its checked out of the school and public libraries. Google books had a 100 page preview but now I'm finished and I have to sit and wait patiently for someone to return it to the library!

Anyway, here's a question I had regarding the rightful heir to the throne, because it is a bit confusing for me:

Who is the "rightful" king?

So Stannis claims he is the rightful king, but why wouldn't that be Joffery (assuming no one knew the truth about him of course.) Also, In Robert's letter he says "my heir" (well Ned does) wouldn't that be Gendry, the blacksmith boy? Do bastards have any rights to the throne?

Legally, bastards have no claim to anything, sons come first, in order of age, daughters after sons, uncles before aunts, in order of how close they are to the main line. Depending on which house you belong to, uncles come before daughters or vice versa. In regards to the kingship, it's anyone who fulfills both of these requirements:

1) Has a blood relationship with a past king

2) Has the strongest negotiating position.

Legally, bastards have no claim to anything, sons come first, in order of age, daughters after sons, uncles before aunts, in order of how close they are to the main line. Depending on which house you belong to, uncles come before daughters or vice versa. In regards to the kingship, it's anyone who fulfills both of these requirements:

1) Has a blood relationship with a past king

2) Has the strongest negotiating position.

Cool, so in this case AFAIK Stannis is the "truest" rightful heir, followed by Renly... But obviously #2 is the more important factor, ie. has the strongest army, already has control of the castle. Intriguing... thanks!

Hi, I guess this will serve as an introduction to the board. I am one of the many who had never heard of this series before the HBO show came out, but immediately I was hooked on the show. Even so, I never thought I would have time to get into the books because they are sooo long. But after the finale of GoT I realized there was no way I could possibly wait for Season 2 to find out what happens.

I was going to jump right into the second book but friends persuaded me to start from the beginning. I have NEVER read a book so quickly. I finished the whole thing in about a week which, for me anyway, was a record.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to put my hands on a copy of aCoK, its checked out of the school and public libraries. Google books had a 100 page preview but now I'm finished and I have to sit and wait patiently for someone to return it to the library!

Anyway, here's a question I had regarding the rightful heir to the throne, because it is a bit confusing for me:

Who is the "rightful" king?

So Stannis claims he is the rightful king, but why wouldn't that be Joffery (assuming no one knew the truth about him of course.) Also, In Robert's letter he says "my heir" (well Ned does) wouldn't that be Gendry, the blacksmith boy? Do bastards have any rights to the throne?

As Joffrey's birth was never contested by Robert, he is the "rightful" king. As readers, we are in on the fact that Joffrey, Myrcella, and Tommen are not Robert's. Ned forging the will/codicil stating Robert's heir, if there were some medieval Maury Povich "You-are-not-the-baby-daddy" equivalent to prove them being bastards, Stannis would be the rightful heir followed by Shireen, then Renly.

I don't think Stannis' daughter would have any claim. I believe women children have claim only in Dorne and their culture. I'm pretty sure it would just go straight to Renly.

Not quite. The Targaryens practiced sole male primogeniture, and the Freys do as well, but some houses do permit female inheritance. For example, the maester from Aeron's first chapter evidently considers Asha to be ahead of Euron in the succession, and Shireen, not Renly, is considered Stannis's heir. Also, Robb considers Sansa to be his heir, as opposed to one of his male uncles in the Vale.

Archived