U.S. Politics

Ser Scot A Ellison

I'm glad the teabaggers saved our economy with that debt limit deal, I was worried for a minute.

I'm sure they'll pray away our troubles. As soon as they've prayed away our terrible Muslimsocialofascist Kenyan President.

Evening news tonight (CBS) :

President Obamas approval rating: 48%, give or take a point.

*DIS*approval rating for congress: 82% about the same for both parties, give or take a few points.

And better than three out of four people are convinced the whole debt ceiling debate was nothing more at all than a political scam.

So...does that make US voters dumber than rocks - or just congress?

And what do dissaproval ratings this high say about the confidence people *must* have in their government for that government to remain credible?

Huntsman is more sane than Romney, but Romney is markedly more sane than the rest of them.

The two Mormons in the room are by far the two most reasonable. I give you The Tea Bag party. Can I please have Reagan or GHWB back?

Huntsman doesn't even have a sorta chance.

Last poll in Iowa his support was 1.

Not 1%, 1. As in, they only found one person who supported him out of all the people they polled.

I have to say I was a lot happier when I wasn't reading the news regularly.

Honestly, if the news wasn't constantly reporting about how America's economy is going into the shitter, I feel like people would have more confidence. More confidence = more spending and more investing = better economy = country's wounds start to heal.

Just watching what's happening on a macro scale in the news leads me to believe that our society is falling apart. The government is dysfunctional, the climate is fucked (the lowest high this week in Dallas is 108, it hasn't been below 83 degrees at all for over a month and daytime temps have reached 100 every single one of those days, plus the whole damn state is in severe drought, so I'm a little worked up about that), and even Europe is going to hell.

I don't suppose Norway would take me? Or Australia? Switzerland? I speak German and I am willing to bellhop for citizenship.

On the other hand, there's my everyday life. Where things are chugging along perfectly normally. We should all stop watching the news.

I have to say I was a lot happier when I wasn't reading the news regularly.

Honestly, if the news wasn't constantly reporting about how America's economy is going into the shitter, I feel like people would have more confidence. More confidence = more spending and more investing = better economy = country's wounds start to heal.

The like 9%+ unemployment rate means most people probably don't need the news to tell them the economy sucks.

What really still gets me is the 82% disapproval rating for congress as a whole - with the Dems and Republicans coming in within a few points of one or another. Four out of five people disapproving of the way congress does things - and yet they continue to act the same way anyhow?

And then there is the nearly as large number (2 out of 3 or some such) who regard the debt ceiling deal as nothing more at all than a political scam.

I don't recollect congress ever having disapproval ratings this bad before. Combine that with the bad economy, government intrusiveness, budget cuts and unending pointless wars...and how long is it before the national government becomes utterly irrelevant.

Default Libertarianism on a national scale?

Archived