College Football 2011

S John

So less than a month from kick off, I'm starting to return to the espn's and various message boards of the world to get the scoop on the upcoming season.

Initial thoughts - After Big East media day WVU has emerged as the favorite to win the conference. I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch though. We've got a first year head coach and all. If he lives up to the hype though.. WVU will be a pretty dangerous team. I guess we'll find out on week 3 when LSU travels to Morgantown. We hung with them last year in Baton Rouge and I can't help but think if we hadn't been running the Stewart/Mullen boring-ass offense we really could have won that game. This year the offense will be better and we've got them in Morgantown, great opportunity for the Mountaineers.

In more general news.. Ohio State, whats going on there?

And of course the rumor mill - I've heard that Texas A&M is in serious talks with the SEC. That could potentially start a whole new round of conference dominoes as one would think that the SEC would want to go to at least 14 instead of 13. Who would that 14th be? Oklahoma? Maybe look east at FSU or Clemson? What would losing A&M mean for the (former) Big 12? Does Texas go independent? Do the remnants of the Big 12 North join forces with the Big East as has been rumored?

To be honest, if this shit explodes again I'd rather see WVU in a different conference altogether. I'm not a huge fan of a conference that is the current Big East + Kansas, K-State, ISU, and maybe Missouri. It would definitely be an improvement over the current Big East, but I don't know, no history there and too spread out. I don't really care for it. If that's what we have to do to survive then so be it, but I don't think that conference would be very stable.

That brings me to the next rumor, which is so persistent that I'm willing to bet that its true - that WVU and Pitt are billing themselves as a package deal for conference realignment. I think that the AD's of both schools are first going to look for a workable solution in the Big East, but that both have come to terms with the reality of the situation which his that conference realignment is ongoing. I think that WVU and Pitt actually complement one another pretty well in terms of what each school offers, so I'm thinking that cooperation is a smart move. If, for example, A&M and Oklahoma do go to the SEC I don't know how other conferences might react to that. Would the Big 10 and ACC stand pat at 12, or would they try to match? I see the Big East being raided again with 5 of the 8 teams being juicy targets - Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt, WVU, UConn. If 16 team superconferences are truly the future of football, if I were the ACC I'd get Pitt, WVU, UConn, and Syracuse and lock up the Eastern seaboard before the SEC comes in and takes FSU and Clemson. Also all four of those schools have good basketball programs which you'd think would appeal to the ACC, but it may not if it threatens the dominance of the North Carolina schools. But I mean, you could make some pretty killer North - South basketball divisions out of that group.

Anyway, only thing I'm sure of is that in 3 years the college football landscape will look a lot different.

The package deal thing is interesting because, if the SEC is going to expand beyond 14, I think WVU would be a top target, and I'm not sure they want Pitt.

Well, even though I suspect its true it is just a rumor at this point. The SEC angle is interesting because if expansion is truly market driven as many say it is, then WVU is not a great add for anybody. The only thing that WVU offers the SEC is the same thing they'd offer anyone else - solid programs in football and basketball + fairly large and loyal following. But in terms of media markets there isn't much there. In other words the only way the SEC would take WVU is if they were simply looking to go to 16 for the sake of going to 16 and wanted to bring in a solid program that fits within the general profile and geography of SEC schools. Culturally, with the possible exceptions of Clemson or FSU, WVU is probably the school that is most culturally similar to the SEC that is not in the SEC. I say this having once lived in SEC territory - similar game day vibe.

But if WVU and Pitt really have paired up, the only reason would be that they are positioning themselves specifically for the ACC. As a fan, much as I hate that its come to this, that would be my preference because WVU is geographically closer to ACC territory and because in addition to Pitt/WVU bringing their own rivalry, they renew some old ones with VT, BC, and Miami. WVU also has a standing rivalry with Maryland. Definitely the best fit overall. But still, you don't get much 'safer' program wise than being in the SEC, so I wouldn't be upset to see that happen. Pitt could always look to the Big 10 in that scenario as well. I would like to stay with Pitt though. Ideally I'd like to stay with both Pitt and Syracuse, actually.

But if WVU and Pitt really have paired up, the only reason would be that they are positioning themselves specifically for the ACC.

I agree with this. It does help tradition-wise that their formal big east rivals are already there.

But as for the SEC, I'm not sure what markets they would actually want to add besides Texas. I think they like the identity and a broad expansion would dilute the brand. Mizzou would be a good fit, A&M a great fit. Oklahoma would be worth it. I'm not sure how they get to 16 without raiding the ACC.

That said, I love the 12 team SEC and hope it does not expand.

I agree with this. It does help tradition-wise that their formal big east rivals are already there.

But as for the SEC, I'm not sure what markets they would actually want to add besides Texas. I think they like the identity and a broad expansion would dilute the brand. Mizzou would be a good fit, A&M a great fit. Oklahoma would be worth it. I'm not sure how they get to 16 without raiding the ACC.

That said, I love the 12 team SEC and hope it does not expand.

If I were the SEC and looking to get to 16, assuming Texas is not on the table, I'd look at - Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Florida State, Miami, Clemson, WVU, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Georgia Tech, and Louisville. In that order, probably.

The big question, to me, is if FSU or Miami would consider it. Were I them - I would not want to be in the same conference as UF, but you never know. VT may be on the table as well. But, again, if I were them I wouldn't want to go SEC as they have dominated the ACC since they moved. I think Clemson would jump at it though. Don't know enough about GT to know if they would rather be in the SEC. If the SEC does raid the ACC for a couple teams, as long as those teams are not FSU, Miami, or Virginia Tech - that is actually kind of good news for the likes of Pitt, WVU, and Syracuse.

I'm more optimistic this year than I have been in a long while. Although the schedule is tougher, Nebraska's defense has talent and depth not seen since the mid 90's glory years. If the offense can be even mildly effective Nebraska will be Rose Bowl bound.

If I were the SEC and looking to get to 16, assuming Texas is not on the table, I'd look at - Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Florida State, Miami, Clemson, WVU, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Georgia Tech, and Louisville. In that order, probably.

The big question, to me, is if FSU or Miami would consider it. Were I them - I would not want to be in the same conference as UF, but you never know. VT may be on the table as well. But, again, if I were them I wouldn't want to go SEC as they have dominated the ACC since they moved. I think Clemson would jump at it though. Don't know enough about GT to know if they would rather be in the SEC. If the SEC does raid the ACC for a couple teams, as long as those teams are not FSU, Miami, or Virginia Tech - that is actually kind of good news for the likes of Pitt, WVU, and Syracuse.

yep agree with all of that. I don't think Texas is on the table but i think georgia tech would jump too if offered, especially if clemson did.

Of course as a UGA fan, I would rather have tech as an out of conference rivalry. There are already enough rivalries within the conference.

The first year of the Pac-12....

On the one hand, I suppose it was inevitable. On the other hand...:tantrum:

Most prognosticators are saying that Oregon and Stanford should be the top two teams again. Oregon lost a lot but returns Thomas at QB and James and a boatload of other potent running backs.

I really like Stanford's chances this year. Put a little on them to go all the way when i was at Vegas this spring.

I'm more optimistic this year than I have been in a long while. Although the schedule is tougher, Nebraska's defense has talent and depth not seen since the mid 90's glory years. If the offense can be even mildly effective Nebraska will be Rose Bowl bound.

Welcome to the Big Ten.

I am very excited that we are going to a Conference championship game like the SEC and with the exception of the Division names, think it is a great layout of teams in each. Nebraska is a favorite to win the Legends Division, but I think Wisconsin's defense can stop their inconsistent offense and their own offensive production will be significantly better, so I think they beat Nebraska by at least two scores.

As a Michigan fan looking at Hoke as our new coach and the stellar job he has done in hiring staff and the recruiting class already in place this early for 2012, that I am more optimistic than I have been in a long while too.

Saw this article today.

Boise State is no longer allowed to wear all blue at home against conference foes per the rules set forth by the Mountain West Conference when Boise joined. My opinion: thank fuck.

Everyone likes an underdog right? Well, usually. Personally, I have pretty much hated Boise State because of that goddamned field. And when they go all blue uniforms on that field.. thats fucking cheap. Its a weird shade of blue to begin with, its almost fluorescent, and those uniforms are the exact same color. If you've ever watched a Boise home game on TV, its really hard to see where their guys are.

I'm all for a nice home field advantage, but I always felt that Boise's blue on blue was bullshit. If a guy you're covering legitimately burns you - good for him. If he burns you because you can hardly find where he is on the field because the other team is fucking camouflaged, well I think that kind of goes against the spirit of the game. I'd rather see them do away with that stupid ass field altogether, but at least this is a step in the right direction.

Another August, another chance to get wooly on the upcoming season despite the fact that my team (Ole Miss) plays in the toughest division of the toughest conference in college football and is unanimously predicted (with good reason, given last season's results) to finish dead last in said division.

Offensively, despite the inexperience at QB there are a lot fewer question marks. Our O-Line may be the best in the history of the program and will certainly be the deepest. Two All-SEC bookend tackles and 6 guys in the interior who started at least one game last year due to all the injuries. Plus, a huge transfer from Arkansas who was the best of any of them in the Spring. Speaking of huge - as it stands today, the starting line will average 6'6, 327 across the front - many NFL teams don't have that kind of size. This is the one unit on the team that can stand toe to toe with anyone.

The skill players have talent and speed to burn, but the QBs and receivers are young and inexperienced. Turnover margin has plagued this team since Nutt took over in 2008. Hopefully the team can reverse that trend.

Defensively, well, that's another story. Last year's D was historically awful. The good/bad news is, most of those guys are gone and their replacements should at least eventually be better - but again, awfully young all around.

My prediction is a team that will be able to run on just about anyone and score a lot of points at times, but won't be able to stop the better offenses in the league. Given the defensive challenges I'd be thrilled with 6-6 or 7-5 and a win over Mississippi State. We get BYU in the opener which provide a decent barometer for how the team will perform all year.

Another August, another chance to get wooly on the upcoming season despite the fact that my team (Ole Miss) plays in the toughest division of the toughest conference in college football and is unanimously predicted (with good reason, given last season's results) to finish dead last in said division.

Offensively, despite the inexperience at QB there are a lot fewer question marks. Our O-Line may be the best in the history of the program and will certainly be the deepest. Two All-SEC bookend tackles and 6 guys in the interior who started at least one game last year due to all the injuries. Plus, a huge transfer from Arkansas who was the best of any of them in the Spring. Speaking of huge - as it stands today, the starting line will average 6'6, 327 across the front - many NFL teams don't have that kind of size. This is the one unit on the team that can stand toe to toe with anyone.

The skill players have talent and speed to burn, but the QBs and receivers are young and inexperienced. Turnover margin has plagued this team since Nutt took over in 2008. Hopefully the team can reverse that trend.

Defensively, well, that's another story. Last year's D was historically awful. The good/bad news is, most of those guys are gone and their replacements should at least eventually be better - but again, awfully young all around.

My prediction is a team that will be able to run on just about anyone and score a lot of points at times, but won't be able to stop the better offenses in the league. Given the defensive challenges I'd be thrilled with 6-6 or 7-5 and a win over Mississippi State. We get BYU in the opener which provide a decent barometer for how the team will perform all year.

I think Ole Miss is in a good position to stay one of the top teams in the country for rushing (finished 18th overall with 207.6 yards/game last year) with Bolden returning and an OL full of studs. Your problem on offense is going to be when the elite defenses of the SEC West stack the box and you have to depend on the arm of Mackey for production. Ole Miss’ defense was dead least for scoring defense and 11th for total defense in the SEC. You are only returning three starters on that side of the ball so I wouldn’t expect to see any significant improvement.

I think Ole Miss is going to finish 4-8 (1-7 Conference, 0-5 Division), with wins over Southern Illinois, Vanderbilt, Louisiana Tech, and a close one against Fresno State.

I think Ole Miss is in a good position to stay one of the top teams in the country for rushing (finished 18th overall with 207.6 yards/game last year) with Bolden returning and an OL full of studs. Your problem on offense is going to be when the elite defenses of the SEC West stack the box and you have to depend on the arm of Mackey for production. Ole Miss’ defense was dead least for scoring defense and 11th for total defense in the SEC. You are only returning three starters on that side of the ball so I wouldn’t expect to see any significant improvement.

I think Ole Miss is going to finish 4-8 (1-7 Conference, 0-5 Division), with wins over Southern Illinois, Vanderbilt, Louisiana Tech, and a close one against Fresno State.

That's a fair prediction. I agree that the issue on offense will be depending on Mackey/Brunetti (whoever wins the job, the coaches swear they're even right now) to make plays when running the ball 50 times a game isn't an option. Those guys are talented, but the lack of experience is a huge factor. Not to mention our returning WRs are average at best. The incoming freshmen will help somewhat, but it'll likely be next year before they start really paying off.

Defense will remain a big problem, although I do think statistically they'll be a little better this year (couldn't be much worse). I'd be more optimistic if we hadn't lost LB D.T. Shackelford in the Spring to an ACL.

I think realistically we're 5-7 because I don't see the team losing to MSU for a 3rd consecutive year, regardless of where the game is being played. Nutt will be toast if he can't win that one.

That's a fair prediction. I agree that the issue on offense will be depending on Mackey/Brunetti (whoever wins the job, the coaches swear they're even right now) to make plays when running the ball 50 times a game isn't an option. Those guys are talented, but the lack of experience is a huge factor. Not to mention our returning WRs are average at best. The incoming freshmen will help somewhat, but it'll likely be next year before they start really paying off.

Defense will remain a big problem, although I do think statistically they'll be a little better this year (couldn't be much worse). I'd be more optimistic if we hadn't lost LB D.T. Shackelford in the Spring to an ACL.

I think realistically we're 5-7 because I don't see the team losing to MSU for a 3rd consecutive year, regardless of where the game is being played. Nutt will be toast if he can't win that one.

Yeah, Shackleford is a big loss, but if we are looking on the bright side, Lockett (a preseason All-SEC pick last year) was given a sixth year of eligibility due to his own early ACL injury, so that is good. And Nutt did a good job of recruiting some defensive talent. I think these younger guys will get a few games of experience under their belt, work out the kinks, and show significant improvement next year, especially on run defense.

I am really high on Dan Mullen and MSU right now and I think they are the sleeper program for dominance in the SEC West in the next couple of years.

Yeah, Shackleford is a big loss, but if we are looking on the bright side, Lockett (a preseason All-SEC pick last year) was given a sixth year of eligibility due to his own early ACL injury, so that is good. And Nutt did a good job of recruiting some defensive talent. I think these younger guys will get a few games of experience under their belt, work out the kinks, and show significant improvement next year, especially on run defense.

Yeah, 2012 should be a big improvement all around. Leadership will be lost on both sides of the ball (Bolden & Lockett), but the overall experience and talent level may rival the 2008 team that ended the year competing head to head with top teams.

Definitely excited to have Lockett back this year. He's a superb talent and seems like a great guy (not to mention an endlessly amusing Twitter follow). At SEC Media Days he said he wanted to eventually go into broadcasting and become "the Charles Barkley of college football." :D The S&C staff claim his knee is back to full strength...hoping that's true. His leadership was sorely missed last year.

I am really high on Dan Mullen and MSU right now and I think they are the sleeper program for dominance in the SEC West in the next couple of years.

Mullen is doing a lot with a little. He's one of the best young coaches in the game because he understands and excels in all phases - selling the program, motivating players, Xs & Os. Thankfully for fans like me of "the School up North" he is not an ace recruiter, which is the only thing keeping MSU from running away with the in-state rivalry. He has a pretty good talent base there, but not great. His coaching made the difference last year and probably will this year too. The popular theory is that he's waiting for JoePa to finally hit the trail so he can take the Penn State job, which is his dream position. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Yeah, 2012 should be a big improvement all around. Leadership will be lost on both sides of the ball (Bolden & Lockett), but the overall experience and talent level may rival the 2008 team that ended the year competing head to head with top teams.

Definitely excited to have Lockett back this year. He's a superb talent and seems like a great guy (not to mention an endlessly amusing Twitter follow). At SEC Media Days he said he wanted to eventually go into broadcasting and become "the Charles Barkley of college football." :D The S&C staff claim his knee is back to full strength...hoping that's true. His leadership was sorely missed last year.

Mullen is doing a lot with a little. He's one of the best young coaches in the game because he understands and excels in all phases - selling the program, motivating players, Xs & Os. Thankfully for fans like me of "the School up North" he is not an ace recruiter, which is the only thing keeping MSU from running away with the in-state rivalry. He has a pretty good talent base there, but not great. His coaching made the difference last year and probably will this year too. The popular theory is that he's waiting for JoePa to finally hit the trail so he can take the Penn State job, which is his dream position. Keeping my fingers crossed...

I think he has a better chance of building an enduring legacy if he stays at MSU, and his new contract was a sweet deal for young coach, than if he tries to follow in JoePa’s footsteps. I am also crossing my fingers, but in hopes of him staying out of the Big Ten. A coach as talented as Mullen, with a brand like Penn State’s which is considerably stronger than MSU’s as a recruiting tool, would be a force to be reckoned with.

I think he has a better chance of building an enduring legacy if he stays at MSU, and his new contract was a sweet deal for young coach, than if he tries to follow in JoePa’s footsteps. I am also crossing my fingers, but in hopes of him staying out of the Big Ten. A coach as talented as Mullen, with a brand like Penn State’s which is considerably stronger than MSU’s as a recruiting tool, would be a force to be reckoned with.

There's no question MSU knows what they have with him and will do just about anything to keep him on board. Whether he stays or goes will depend on his desire to hit the big time at a brand name program, should one come calling. It's tough to be a brand name in the same division with Alabama, Auburn and LSU. Of course, if he were to manage sustained success in Starkville he'd have statues of his likeness being raised within a few years.

How do you like the Big Blue's chances with Hoke? I thought he was an outstanding hire for the program and exactly what it needed post-Richrod. He's won at programs with zero tradition (Ball State, SDSU) so surely he can succeed at Michigan.

Getting super stoked for this season. Not sure about Leaders and Legends or the new B1G name, but Wisconsin looks poised to do extremely well.

Really excited to see how Russell works out and he should have some time to get used to the offense with the backfield they have. Ball and White could legitimately go over 1500 yards each this year assuming neither gets injured.

Bout time to see Toon break out also. Kid has been touted as the next coming of...well his dad for 4 years now. I would like to see him live up to it a bit. More consistent, less dropped passes and bigger plays.

Despite loosing quite a lot the D should also be pretty tough. We will get our two inside backers back from injury and our backfield should be tough.

A conference title game. Nebraska v Wisconsin is what I am predicting, but I would not be surprised to see MSU in there. They are primed to be good. Cousins is pretty damn awesome and they have a killer running game too.

How do you like the Big Blue's chances with Hoke? I thought he was an outstanding hire for the program and exactly what it needed post-Richrod. He's won at programs with zero tradition (Ball State, SDSU) so surely he can succeed at Michigan.

I admit that at first I was a little anxious about the hiring of Hoke, but listening to his interviews and the support of former players went a long way towards assuaging those doubts. When he instantly hired Mattison and Borges as his coordinators, the doubts were gone. Seeing what he has done in recruiting terms in salvaging this class and in building what looks like a top 5 class for 2012, I cannot remember being more excited for the program and feeling like we truly are rebuilding and are just a couple of years away from seeing the team earn the right to our hubris once more. I think Hoke retires at Michigan with a legacy close to that of Bo.

My prediction for the season is 8-4 (5-3 Conference, 2-3 Division). We are going to go 5-1 with a close loss to either Notre Dame or Northwestern. We will then lose to Little Sister, Iowa, and Nebraska but win over Purdue and Illinois. I think this is the year we beat that team to the south.

A conference title game. Nebraska v Wisconsin is what I am predicting, but I would not be surprised to see MSU in there. They are primed to be good. Cousins is pretty damn awesome and they have a killer running game too.

I also think the conference title game will be Nebraska and Wisconsin. I think both teams are two of MSU’s three losses on the season, so they will be out of contention for the title game. I really like Cousins, who is from my hometown (though not my alma mater).

The Big Ten announced that they are switching to a nine-game conference schedule in 2017 with three teams from each division playing five conference home games and continuing to do so in odd-numbered years.

The 2017 schedule features five conference home games for Iowa, MSU, and Nebraska from Legends Division and Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio State from the Leaders Division.

Link here: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6833142/big-ten-conference-use-9-game-league-schedule-football-2017

TCU!!!

I have heard rumors that Boise State has asked the MWC commissioners what the penalty would be for breaking the rule about their uniforms. The speculation is that they will break the rule for the TCU game in order to game the rivalry. If true - total bullshit, and I hope the penalty is a disbarment from participation in conference games, or having their record stripped. Then again, we could have some fun with it. If BSU breaks the rules, why not TCU? They should get their hands on BSU uniforms and everyone can be the same shade of blue.

Archived