[Q&A] Patrick Rothfuss Chat Thread

Ran

I've answered this one in a bunch of other interviews. Maybe as many as a dozen times....

Can anyone find a link to one of those interviews and post it up here? I'm not trying to dodge the question, but a link would provide a much more polished and cohesive answer than I'd be able to type up on the fly here.... And it will leave me time to answer other people's questions....

This interview pretty much sums up how you spent years and years on the writing and how you got started:

[Edited by Ran: Thanks, Pat & CopperCounter!]

Another one...

I find it strange that no artificer has yet managed to create a steam engine. Given how well they seem to understand physics, and the kind of stuff that gets made at the Fishery, you'd think a steam engine wouldn't be beyond their abilities. Any particular reason this hasn't happened?

Technically, the ancient greeks invented the steam engine. Was it Archemedes? Or Heron? One of them, I'm pretty sure....

The real question is, "If they had access to that technology, why didn't they use it?"

The answer to the question is really, really complex. Far too big to get into here. You could write a book about it. (and several people have.)

But the reasons are there, and they're mostly the same for why things like that haven't developed in my world.

Sorry if that's not an entirely satisfying answer. But I don't have time to write a 5000 word essay on the subject....

Technically, the ancient greeks invented the steam engine. Was it Archemedes? Or Heron? One of them, I'm pretty sure....

The real question is, "If they had access to that technology, why didn't they use it?"

The answer to the question is really, really complex. Far too big to get into here. You could write a book about it. (and several people have.)

But the reasons are there, and they're mostly the same for why things like that haven't developed in my world.

Sorry if that's not an entirely satisfying answer. But I don't have time to write a 5000 word essay on the subject....

I was expecting something like that, :). I find it to be a satisfactory answer.

On the constructive side of things, how much has the overarching plot changed since your first drafts? I know you've added Ambrose and Auri (among others) - have these characters changed the main story, or are they independent from it?

Love the books and blog :)

Glad you like the blog. I have a lot of fun writing it, and it helps to know that people enjoy reading it too. It makes me feel better about the time I put into it.

The story has changed considerably since I started it. Keep in mind that I started writing it in 1994. It's so vastly different in so many ways that I can hardly describe it.

There wasn't any frame story in the beginning, for example. No Inn. No Bast. It's hard to imagine the story without them at this point. But they weren't part of my original plan....

Hi,

Do you intend to do another trip to Europe? If you do - is there a chance you might convince Sarah to you will visit Germany instead of Italy?

I'm sure your many german fans (myself included) would love to attend one of your readings/signings!

Hey Pat! First, I want to thank you for stopping by for the signing in Austin. Texas sometimes gets passed over for tours, and it was really cool that you made it out there.

I suppose if I've only got one question, it would be... Did you side with the mages or the templars at the end of Dragon Age 2? I actually enjoyed the story, despite the game itself not feeling quite complete (at least when compared to Origins).

Thank you for taking the time to answer all of our questions!

PS: favorite scenes from tWMF were training with the Adem and Felurian. I also loved Kvothe describing Fela falling for Sim.

Hey Pat! Had a chance to see you on tour in Portland, OR back in March. You sang to us. It was magical.

I was just wondering how intentional the Wheel of Time references were? Are they meant to be homage, or were they more akin to your titling the book initially "A Song of Flame and Thunder" (i.e. coincidence). Things like the town of Imre, use of the names Denna and Tam, etc.

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions like this!

Archived