[Q&A] Patrick Rothfuss Chat Thread

Ran

Do you play Magic The Gathering?

I played it a lot when it first came out. I was there in the beginning. I bought and sold and traded cards before the internet existed. For a couple of years, I helped pay my college tutition with the money I made off magic.

I traded my way up to the full set of mox. I had the power seven and a nice beta black lotus.

But I quit years ago. Sold off my cards and haven't played in a decade. There's too many weird rules now, it would be a pain in the ass for me to get back into things....

You said that you are obsessed with stories, with their shape, and stories within stories.

Given that the earliest stories we have are stories of peoples lives, I was wondering how much your fiction crossed into your real life here - do you ever feel compelled to make sure your own life follows a story arc with something resembling a beginning, middle and end?

You told someone to re-ask their other questions after saying 1 per post, but they didn't re-ask this one and I think it's a really great question so I'm gonna ask it too...

If you had the opportunity to change something in one of the two books, what would you change?

Pat,

I took a day off from work and drove five hours to DC to see you speak during your most recent tour. I was very excited to meet you and ask a question, but when I finally did get to ask it, you basically laughed at the question and did not answer it. Needless to say, I was kind of bummed out, and was hoping you might have an answer for me today. I realize your tour was completely crazy and you had probably reached the end of your rope by the time you hit DC, or maybe you just hated my question and I deserved to be mocked 

Either way, my question is: Are you going to tell us about your adventures in writing fanfic? I check your blog every day hoping that that the story will be told. I can’t handle cliffhangers. It is driving me insane. Plus, if there is something cool out there that you wrote, or there will be something cool out there that you wrote, then I want to know about it.

Thanks,

AutumnRLS

Not to step on Pat's toes, here, but...

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2010/03/perils-of-fan-fiction-part-i/

Hi Pat,

I wonder if you might want to tell us what your biggest influences are for the Kingkiller books?

I hate the influence question. It implies that there were, like, three or four books that I read that made me want to write a certain way. And THAT implies that all the other thousands of novels I've read really weren't that important.

That's just not how it works. At least not with me. Sure there are some books that I read and really liked. But it isn't like I read The Last Unicorn and said, "Yeah! I want to write a book just like this!"

I didn't. I read that book and thought, "Man, I'll never be able to write something like that... I guess I better try to write something else...."

If anything, I've been more inspired by all the shit books that I've read. Nothing pisses me off than watching a terrible fantasy movie, or reading a terrible fantasy book, cringing at all the cliche and bad dialogue.

After one of those experiences, I think to myself, "I'm never going to do, X, Y, and Z. That shit is awful...."

The posting problem should be fixed now, I hope!

And not that it's necessarily necessary, but a reminder:

1) No spoilers for Pat's books (or, for that matter, GRRM's!)

2) One question per post. :)

Hello, Father of Oot,

While writing the novels, have you ever wanted to just give it all up for some other profession? If so, what profession did you ponder, and what kept you writing?

Also, thank you for the infectious story. I've passed the Pat bug on to just about everyone I know. ;]

Thanks for doing this!

About a year ago, a friend said she'd buy me a stack of books if I read them in her requested order. Fair enough! She sends me NotW and the 4 (at the time) existing SoI&F books, instructing me to read yours first. I jumped in having never heard anything of you or your book, didn't even read the back.

Roughly a third of the way into NotW, I said to myself, "This was clearly written by a gen-Xer computer geek hippy-type who probably went to Hampshire or Evergreen or something." After I finished the book I googled you & first hit, there you are in a Joss tshirt.

How could I tell?

(Note: not a trick question.)

I have a hard time pronouncing your names sometimes, and friends who I speak with about the books seem to have different pronounciations for names than I do, is it possible to get a phonetic pronuciation of your names in a blog?

There IS a blog, somewhere. I'm trying to find it, hang on.

Edit: Here it is http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2008/02/ask-author-4-how-do-i-pronounce-kvothes/

Not all the names but the most important!

I noticed what I felt were homages to "The Wheel of Time" series in Wise Man's Fear (I'll leave out specific so as to avoid spoilers). Were this intended as such, and have you read the series? What's your take on it?

I read the first two books a LONG time ago, (Maybe 1995?) but that's all. I liked them pretty well, but I really can't remember anything about them. And I certainly didn't put any sort of homage in for them.

Archived