[BOOK SPOILERS] CGI direwolves in Season 2

Werthead

No Summer means no Bran. No Grey Wind could mean battles lost for Robb (he'd rip horses out from under men). No Nymeria means nobody to watch Arya's back and cause terrible safety issues on the roads of Westeros. No Shaggydog means Rickon just cries by himself :dunno: .

I should add that no Ghost means no LC Mormont and probably no Jon. The show changed the scene in the King's Tower a bunch and cut Ghost out of the fight completely. Without Ghost, Jon would never be able to grab the curtain to wrap onto the wight.

Not saying that I agree with BlackTalon but it did looks like he was saying there was no need for "big" wolves, that the direwolves could be played by regular sized animals. For season one, when the wolves were but pups, yeah they were acceptable. But the size and prowess of the beasts, the authority they command in Bran's dreams/vision/warging are what set them apart from lesser animals and make them the symbol of the north. They need to be big, they need to be scary.

I think we can all agree that the direwolves are intrinsic to the story but I equally cannot agree with BlackTalon that they don't need to be huge.

I think Grey Wind needs to be big. It seems like HBO wants to show some of Robb's battles (which we never actually witness in the books) and I want to see a big direwolf take down horses and rip knights' throats out. The other ones may not be as necessary for CGI. Maybe they'll show Nym with some regular wolves attacking the roads. In that case, she would need to be bigger so that we know it is a direwolf.

Archived