London's burning.

BigFatCoward

Blue Bard: You stay safe. My mum lives near Marston Green. Where you got to go to on the other side of town?

Eloisa: Not in Brum but in Harlesden and from what I can see on various sites around there are groups of people gathering and police hoping to stave off any trouble. I'm just staying nice and safe in my little house in the back streets of Harlesden.

N

why do we allow people behave like this? where is the incentive to behave properly when we just stand by and let them steal and throw bricks and set fire to shit? would this sort of behaviour be tolerated in any other western country?

Umm, nowhere I know of. Nope.

:leaving:

I saw the story break over the weekend and my first thought was, well, at least it isn't here.

I hope that, like here, it takes place in very localized areas and that all of you UKers stay safe.

Eloisa: Not in Brum but in Harlesden and from what I can see on various sites around there are groups of people gathering and police hoping to stave off any trouble. I'm just staying nice and safe in my little house in the back streets of Harlesden.

Good luck...

How it started

Another, "Sonny Twag", tweeted: "Want to roll Tottenham to loot. I do want a free TV. Who wudn't."

I want to know who thinks its a good idea to tweet your off to go looting. That's just asking for the police to roll up to your door and arrest you.

How it started

I want to know who thinks its a good idea to tweet your off to go looting. That's just asking for the police to roll up to your door and arrest you.

In America the cops would have to catch him with some obviously stolen loot, otherwise it's just braggadocio.

Here's an interesting interactive map of the riots. Not sure how accurate it is though.

Coppers shot a black kid, because he was black and therefore had obviously committed a crime. First thing you learn at police academy. His family led a peaceful march to the local cop shop where they were left standing outside for 5 hours. And the rest was history

Well, the cops say that he was a known coke dealer who shot at them. While the particular police unit involved doesn't have a great track record, a non police gun was recovered at the scene, and one of the officers involved was probably shot at by said coke dealer.

Well, the cops say that he was a known coke dealer who shot at them. While the particular police unit involved doesn't have a great track record, a non police gun was recovered at the scene, and one of the officers involved was probably shot at by said coke dealer.

I read that the bullet that hit the copper was police-issue

I read that the bullet that hit the copper was police-issue

That's what the news reported. I think the bullet was recovered from the injured officer's radio. Kind of worrying, given that the police radios are usually clipped onto the upper left chest.

I find it rather disquieting that the police even use Dum-Dum rounds

Dum-dum ammunition, a.k.a. hollow points, are A Good ThingTM.

Conventional ammunition, even relatively low powered 9mm or 38 special, has a tendency to zip through the human body carrying a lot of energy. If you're lucky it hits a car, a wall, a tree. If you're unlucky it hits another cop, a bystander or some kid.

Are they supposed to use Hug-Hug rounds instead? :rolleyes:

(and technically, hollowpoint != dum-dum, though they are similar).

Well, a civilian police force probably shouldn't be using weapons that are banned by the Geneva Convention on their own people

Archived