London's burning.

BigFatCoward

Very sad seeing Tottenham high road, which I used to live just down the road from, get smashed up on Saturday. Now it's spread to just around the corner where I live now. And for what, exactly? A few fucking TVs and pairs of trainers?

Good video here of a journalist in Clapham talking to the looters:

"We're gettin our taxes back innit" - yeah, as if you fucking pay any.

Good luck to everyone on staying safe. Hopefully the issues causing these riots can be resolved adequately.

I can't quite remember, but wasn't there something about fiddling whilst Rome burned?

Yeah, but Nero was the one who started the fire. He had cause to be happy; large sections of Rome were opening up for his new palace.

Just managed to get home. Its absolute fucking chaos in clapham, there are gangs of thugs in ski-masks just randomly driving past or pushing trolleys full of loot. I ended up taking side-streets to avoid the crowds, was scary as hell. Never experienced anything like this, just madness.

The police are absolutely fucking useless by the way. They are literally hiding from the rioters. I saw a couple of them earlier hassling some innocent busker. Bloody cowards, the lot of them. Bring in the army and sort this shit out. Random shop-owners are being forced to defend their own businesses, its nuts.

Hope other UK boarders are safe. This is mob rule.

The police are absolutely fucking useless by the way. They are literally hiding from the rioters. I saw a couple of them earlier hassling some innocent busker. Bloody cowards, the lot of them. Bring in the army and sort this shit out. Random shop-owners are being forced to defend their own businesses, its nuts.

Unless you want to ratchet up the use of force to the 'lethal' level, I don't see what the army can do that cops can't.

Tomorrow will be interesting. Riots usually burn out after three days or so. Martial law if it doesn't quiet down?

Here right in the centre it was a quiet night actually! I'm just sitting up trying to pack ready for our move tomorrow. I hope riots don't stop the man and van from reaching us!

As for what sparked it, I don't think you can pin "Armed drug dealer fatally shot by police in confrontation" down as "racist killing by pigs"... I'm not always the biggest fan of the police, but if a gun is present and they feel threatened, too right they should shoot to kill. Guns are highly illegal. By openly brandishing one at police you are basically asking to be shot.

My band and I just drove up to London from Portsmouth (supporting the Maccabees - quality band!) and we were listening to the radio the whole way. We dropped off people in Wandsworth, Fulham, Shepherds Bush and Queens Park, and other than a few police cars on their way to one situation or other, we didn't see any signs of the riots.

Westfield looked untouched from what I could see.

Crazy stuff. Hopefully we've seen the worst of it.

Stay safe, all boarders in affected cities.

The one woman the reporter "interviews" claims she's "getting back her taxes" by looting - Ha, ha. So you get something for your taxes by ripping off a merchant. Huh. Interesting concept. What happens is that that merchant, and others, will move out of the area, leaving empty store fronts and inevitable blight and, guess what, no shopping in the area.

Opportunistic creeps, if you ask me.

Either residents near me have decided its an opportune time to burn their garbage or there have been 3 fires started quite reasonably close to Crystal Palace, somewhere between Forest Hill/Sydenham and Penge.

Quite a strange sight to see while having coffee on your balcony.

Either residents near me have decided its an opportune time to burn their garbage or there have been 3 fires started quite reasonably close to Crystal Palace, somewhere between Forest Hill/Sydenham and Penge.

Quite a strange sight to see while having coffee on your balcony.

Be careful. Some asshole might decide that throwing a molotov cocktail through a window in your building might be a fun way to pass the evening.

The closest I ever got to anything like this was back during the Detroit riots in '67. You could smell the smoke in the air. A lot of people lost their housing and property. What did it accomplish? Nothing - except maybe more flight from the city.

Let's just say I take a very dim view of this bullshit.

This is absolutely terrible. And fucking nuts, too. I'm a veteran of such situations, living in wonderful Karachi (Pakistan). We're used to this sort of mad shit: arson, thuggery, looting. Hell, it happens at the drop of a hat; an imagined slur or a even a bloody satirical cartoon, ffs.

But to see this happening in the UK (which I love and visit every single summer), is upsetting beyond belief. It's time the authorities take this crap in hand, whether it necessitates a firm hand or even a bit of harshness. At the least, tear gas to disperse these bastards.

My sister lives in Maida Vale and she's been unaffected thus far. I hope it all calms down today.

All of you affected by this, stay safe! My advice: lock up and stay indoors (hopefully with provisions enough to last a day or two).

Archived