Red wedding

Fab

Spoilers warning - I don't know how to use the spoiler tag.

Hey,

So I just read the red wedding catelyn chapter and the following arya chapter all set at the twins. I haven't been able to pick the book back up since. I give GRRM credit for being willing to buck the mold where certain characters are untouchable (and I thought I wouldn't be so cliche) but I'm just having trouble who I'm reading this for now. What characters am I suppose to like and be excited about? I haven't even gotten to the part where something happens to their remains.

Basically, I'm hoping people can encourage me to keep reading. I've been enthralled in the books. It's almost like veral books in one as each storyline could be almost it's own book. Please no spoilers but should read on? Part of me is willing to just wait till HBO continues cause they have been willing to save characters that died in the books (Lafayette in TrueBlood think).

Thanks in advance,

Mike

P.s. Please, no spoilers past where I am in SOS. Vague encouragement would be appreciated.

Hey,

So I just read the red wedding catelyn chapter and the following arya chapter all set at the twins. I haven't been able to pick the book back up since. I give GRRM credit for being willing to buck the mold where certain characters are untouchable (and I thought I wouldn't be so cliche) but I'm just having trouble who I'm reading this for now. What characters am I suppose to like and be excited about? I haven't even gotten to the part where something happens to their remains.

Basically, I'm hoping people can encourage me to keep reading. I've been enthralled in the books. It's almost like veral books in one as each storyline could be almost it's own book. Please no spoilers but should read on? Part of me is willing to just wait till HBO continues cause they have been willing to save characters that died in the books (Lafayette in TrueBlood think).

Thanks in advance,

Mike

P.s. Please, no spoilers past where I am in SOS. Vague encouragement would be appreciated.

Fab, believe me, all of us came to a dead stop after the Red Wedding. I read it years ago and I think every aspect of it is still burned into my brain. But, there is soooo much more come, huge new universes to explore, well worth the journey. Take a breath, take a break, settle your mind, and then dive back in. I'd suggest you read the thread in this section 'The Wedding at the Twins', from beginning to end to see other new readers' reactions (many very similar to yours) and what they have to say and how they moved on from this incredibly disturbing point in the series.

I'm curious that you say 'HBO is willing to save characters that died in the books.' Uhhhh, not in this series...

Keep reading. If you've made it all the way to the Red Wedding there really isn't any point in stopping. For me a motivation to keep reading was to find out if the Freys and Boltons get their asses kicked in the karmic scheme of things. It had been mentioned a number of times that by eating at the Freys castle that traditionally the Starks and the Tullys should have been safe and that events like weddings were a place where greivances were put to the side for a night. But the Freys seemed to ignore both. Now it's time to see if they are punished for their acts.

The Red Wedding is an event that has ways of effecting the rest of the story be it through tangible events like the death of Robb Stark or intagible like the effects of Freys actions and how the other Lords and houses of power view him and his multitudes of kin. I was interested in seeing how the Westeros reacts to Walder Freys offspring, will anyone trust them after the head of their families acts or because they were involved in anyway or will they forgive and forget as Robb and the Northmen were basically invaders.

Keep reading, it is a monumental and devistating moment of the story, but their is so much more to read.

I'm curious that you say 'HBO is willing to save characters that died in the books.' Uhhhh, not in this series...

The deaths of Ned, Robert and Drogo show that. Sean Beam, Jason Momoa and Mark Addy were the three of the most well known actors on the show and all three of them met their ends despite that and being some of the more popular characters as well.

The deaths of Ned, Robert and Drogo show that. Sean Beam, Jason Momoa and Mark Addy were the three of the most well known actors on the show and all three of them met their ends despite that and being some of the more popular characters as well.

Granted that I don't know what happens after Robb Stark's death, but those three were essential to the story lines through the rest of the series to this point. You can't have the war without the deaths of Ned and Robert. And I don't think Daenarys could be the character she's developed into without losing Drogo. Without spoiling what happens next, are Robb's and company's deaths necessary for the future story lines?

Without spoiling what happens next, are Robb's and company's deaths necessary for the future story lines?

Yes, very much so.

I honestly consider the Red Wedding, and all the events that happen after it in the third book, to be some of the best stuff in the entire series. If you stop right now, you're going to miss out on all that.

Yes, very much so.

I honestly consider the Red Wedding, and all the events that happen after it in the third book, to be some of the best stuff in the entire series. If you stop right now, you're going to miss out on all that.

I agree, I haven't gotten to the end yet but there are loads of great surprises in the chapters that follow this wedding.

The way ASOS keeps the reader excited without some of the main protagonists is something of a marvel. I was furious after the Red Wedding and swore I wouldn't read anymore, yet I did. Some amazing scenes come about later in the novel and are definitely worth watching.

My main issue with ASOS is that it is clear that GRRM peaked too early in his novels. He will never better ASOS and it is clear that with the following novels that he is struggling to match the quality set out previously by ASOS.

Honestly, Fab, the only reason I kept reading after the Red Wedding was because I couldn't stand for the awful taste I had in my mouth after that scene to be my last - and therefore, lasting - memory of the series. I'm a chapter or two away from being done with SoS now, and it does get better. ;) Hang in there!

Before getting to the Red Wedding, I knew something bad was going to happen (in an interview related to the show, GRRM alluded to some event in ASOS that would really upset fans, just calling it "RW" so as not to spoil anything, though of course I was dreading what it would be!), but I was still pretty unhappy about it. Robb's fate was not surprising at all, but the manner in which it happened (and all the other casualties) did surprise me. However, I kept going, and before too long there were several moments that -- at least to me -- totally made up for it.

I'm approaching the Red Wedding chapters...(I'm midway thru Catelyn's second to last chapter) and I know what's coming and I'm SCARED TO READ IT. I feel like I have to go to the doctor to get a shot...I know it's gonna hurt!!! Help! How do I get thru it?

I read the Wedding this morning. I put the book down and have no desire to keep reading. I am a girl and has sobbed my eyes out all morning. YES I CRIED. ALL morning. I feel in despair, i know its ridiculous! Im trying really hard to summon the energy but most of all courage to keep on reading. I think this is the moment to pick that chick lit i got for my birthday and give myself a couple of days' break....

I'm also with OP with reading on. I want to read on...but there's so many favourite characters that are lost that I don't feel like reading any more.

Try to keep reading. There really are some good things coming up. Read at least the last Bran chapter and Arya 12. Once you get back into it, then read some more and you'll get some satisfaction (a little). There'a always unfinished stuff until the next book (books) but that just what we have to live with in an unfinished series.

Try to keep reading. There really are some good things coming up. Read at least the last Bran chapter and Arya 12. Once you get back into it, then read some more and you'll get some satisfaction (a little). There'a always unfinished stuff until the next book (books) but that just what we have to live with in an unfinished series.

I'll try my best to keep on going but I think I will give myself a break from the book for a short while :)

Hey,

Thanks in advance,

Mike

I just now read that!! I am so upset!!!!!! :( I don't want to read now either. I actually cried, lol..ok wow.

• 1 month later...

Before getting to the Red Wedding, I knew something bad was going to happen (in an interview related to the show, GRRM alluded to some event in ASOS that would really upset fans, just calling it "RW" so as not to spoil anything, though of course I was dreading what it would be!), but I was still pretty unhappy about it. Robb's fate was not surprising at all, but the manner in which it happened (and all the other casualties) did surprise me. However, I kept going, and before too long there were several moments that -- at least to me -- totally made up for it.

same here but the red wedding is seared on my mind, mainly because of Grey Wind and the way the scene was presented.

Archived