THE OFFICIAL SANDOR CLEGANE APPRECIATION THREAD

FacelessGirl

Great thread Faceless Girl, thanks for posting it! :)

How much do I love Sandor? Let me count the ways... :)

I love that's he complex - neither good, nor bad, but that he has a moral code which can be stretched, but hasn't broken yet.

I love that he keeps it real - 100 percent to Sansa and others - even at the risk of losing the girl he wants and his livelihood.

I love that he cries - a man that is able to shed tears is even more of a hero in my eyes

I love that he takes no shit, but also strives to do no shit to others, unless provoked to do said shit :)

I love that he wants to kill his brother - because The Mountain truly deserves to die.

I love that he says "Bugger you" and "Bugger that"

And finally, I love that he expresses remorse and shame for what he has done wrong.

Well said brashcandy, these are the exact reasons I like him. At first, I was simply intrigued but more I learnt about him, the more I wanted to know and understand why he reacts the way he does.

A badass who is really an alcoholic with what seems like clinical level depression.... I know a guy like that.

There is nothing really to support this diagnostic, imo. I agree that he seems to have a serious low down in ASOS, but he wouldn't have become a sworn shield to a crown prince if he were as you say. Bad temper and a cynic view of the world, yes, drinking on a regular basis (however, he doesn't seem to hold very well alcohol :)), yes, but otherwise... On the other hand, even children seem to have watered wine or cider with their breakfast (:blink:), so clearly drinking is probably not such a big issue in Westeros...

Anyways... I think what I like most about him is his kindness toward Sansa and Arya, although it is well hidden by his rough manners (really, really rough, these manners of his :)).

Checking in! Where do I pick up my badge?

BrashCandy said it well so I'll just add that it's the change in Sandor that Sansa has inspired that makes me love him so. I'm a sucker for men who want to be worthy of the women they love. Especially when the women they love are worthy of them. <swoons>

He's great because he's every bit as ugly and twisted on the inside as he is on the outside. With Sansa and Arya we get glimpses of a guy with actual morals (or something approaching them), but GRRM never turns him into some unique and beautiful snowflake. His inevitable return is something to look forward to.

Favourite Hound scene: when he fights off three Frey knights and saves Arya from the Red Wedding.

Checking in! Where do I pick up my badge?

BrashCandy said it well so I'll just add that it's the change in Sandor that Sansa has inspired that makes me love him so. I'm a sucker for men who want to be worthy of the women they love. Especially when the women they love are worthy of them. <swoons>

Thanks Starbird and the others! And specifically to what you mention about his changing throughout the series, which I think speaks specifically to why we feel such admiration for him. Given what he has been through, it would have been extremely plausible for him to turn into a real real bastard like his brother and become completely immoral and callous. But instead we witness a man that goes through a remarkable development from being Joffrey's dog to the man that tries to take Arya back home to her family.

How many of us when we first started reading GOT could picture Sandor Clegane in any sort of positive light? Not to mention his eventual development into a romantic suitor for Sansa. So many people are grossed out by the age difference but I think we need to realise that Sandor in many ways is still trapped in the nightmare of what his brother did to him as a child.

Ok so on to the fantasies! hehehehe :P

Would Sandor make a better boyfriend, husband or lover?

I've always pictured him in the bad ass boyfriend role, but lately I've been thinking he could make a great husband, you know, with kids etc etc... He would have some great life lessons to tell, not to mention the intimate part ;)

But can you girls imagine Sandor going through the Westerosi bedding ceremony??!!

Thanks Starbird and the others! And specifically to what you mention about his changing throughout the series, which I think speaks specifically to why we feel such admiration for him. Given what he has been through, it would have been extremely plausible for him to turn into a real real bastard like his brother and become completely immoral and callous. But instead we witness a man that goes through a remarkable development from being Joffrey's dog to the man that tries to take Arya back home to her family.

How many of us when we first started reading GOT could picture Sandor Clegane in any sort of positive light? Not to mention his eventual development into a romantic suitor for Sansa. So many people are grossed out by the age difference but I think we need to realise that Sandor in many ways is still trapped in the nightmare of what his brother did to him as a child.

Tully here, standing to be counted as a fan of The Man ... do we have t-shirts?

In defense of the age difference, I do believe that Sandor himself is also a bit unnerved by it ... and yes, I'm prepared to back up that statement with quotes!

He is certainly attracted to Sansa, and loads of posters have claimed to be creeped out by the fact that this grown man is ogling a 12-year-old girl, but I believe he does know the difference -- he even remarks to her out loud in a pre-Blackwater CoK POV that he is noticing the changes in her:

”You look almost a woman … face, teats, and you’re taller too, almost … ah, you’re still a stupid little bird, aren’t you? Singing all the songs they taught you … sing me a song, why don’t you? Go on. Sing to me.”

The man said the magic word himself: almost. He definitely sees the beginnings of the beautiful woman she will someday become, but he knows perfectly well she’s not there yet, and he wants a woman, not a girl.

Yep, there's a quote for that too, but I don't have my book with me ... I think it's in that same scene, where he tells her that all a man needs is steel ... or a woman.

I'm prepared to give the man the benefit of the doubt and state my feeling, for the record, that no matter how attractive he finds her, he's not that interested in bedding a 12-year-old girl any more than we want to see him do it. It's one of the reasons I hope they remain apart for at least a few years in the books, although I have missed his unique take on the world, absent for 2 whole books now. <_<

i think the Hound should have had POV chapters in aSoS... LOVED his chapters with Arya and their little road trip/ killing spree tutorial, left me wanting more.

have to say i am disappointed in both their choice of actor and their portrayal of him in the television series.... he's nowhere near raspy, grey or vicious enough to emulate the books.

looking forward to GRRM bringing him back, just hope it's not in a redeeming nature... i want him defiant and mean till the very end.

I LOVE IT. :thumbsup:

It so happens I was just re-reading GoT and finished the chapter where her wins the tourney. I'm falling in love all over again.

Wished he would have gotten the sweet vengence and justice of killing is brother. That has always been something has bothered me because it seems that later on he kind of forgets about him...ya know. Like in GoT we know he hates his bro...but then he gets past it? No, but it's not the main focus (IM HAVING A CONVERSATION WITH MYSELF. OMG)

I wanted Sandor to get Gregor SO BAD, it's frightening that I wish for this violence...ha

Either way, we are not worthy of his greatnesss :bowdown:

I think killing his brother in the first book would have been too early from a dramatic storyline point of view. Gregor starts to be a real monster only after the tournement. So as a reader we could have thought that Sandor killed him only for his personal reasons. Of course, it would have been enough, but until around that scene we know that Gregor was a knight, and Sandor hated him. it was later on that Gregor became such a terrible monster that readers start to think about Westeros would be a better world without him, and if anyone has reason to do it is Sandor. So, dramatically, I think is was OK.

It one of the posts, someone mentions his/her favorite scene. My favorite one is one Arya and Sandor arrive to the Red Wedding with a charriot of salted porc or something like that and they smuggle in as any smallfolks. I think it's genial! One could thought that the Hound as tall and strong he is, with a burned face etc. would be immediately noticed and they can pass hudreds of people without being seen. Woderful as a scene! But I think we have to very well remember it later on, because it prevails also that he will be appear any time and anywhere later on too. Fine

First of all, this thread. YES. That is all. Eff Yes.

Secondly,

Ok so on to the fantasies! hehehehe :P

Would Sandor make a better boyfriend, husband or lover?

I've always pictured him in the bad ass boyfriend role, but lately I've been thinking he could make a great husband, you know, with kids etc etc... He would have some great life lessons to tell, not to mention the intimate part ;)

But can you girls imagine Sandor going through the Westerosi bedding ceremony??!!

Let's address this, cause why not?

I think he'd actually make a kind of shitty BF until after the Quiet Isle, tbh. Too much of a drunk.

As a lover, he'd probably start out meh, and quickly move to awesome. I'd imagine he's been, uh, blessed by the gods in the equipment department, so that would work in his favor.

Again, as a husband...no fucking way, until post-Quiet Isle, IMO. He'd be a wreck, and it wouldn't be pretty. Afterward QI, though, I want to believe he'd still be badass, but also more stable. I think he'd be super tender w/Sansa, and would probably be an adorable dad, although maybe a little gruff and scary.

And Westerosi bedding ceremony?! LOLOLOL! I definitely can't see that happening...other men taking his little bird's clothes off? Bloodbath. And I'd freaking love it, tbh.

And what women (in canon, cause let's be honest, we all would...) would dare take his clothes off? Maybe Arya, though she'd be more likely stick him with the pointy end of Needle ;)

Now that I've over-analyzed (and bumped the thread, yay!), what does anyone else think?

WOW this thread blew up while I was away! Welcome everyone! :D

I want this thread to stay alive, so don't feel shame for your love for the Hound! This is a place to share and giggle about it with like-minded people!

Enjoy yourselves! :)

P.S. I'm working on a SANDOR CLEGANE badge right now. It might well be just a photo of our favorite badass, but I'll keep you all posted. :)

Not sure whether i missed it or not but do we ever find out House Clegane's words?

I imagine it to be along the lines of woof woof woof :3

No we never visit Clegane Keep or learn their words. But its been speculated to be: Who let the dogs out? ;)

First of all, this thread. YES. That is all. Eff Yes.

Secondly,

Let's address this, cause why not?

I think he'd actually make a kind of shitty BF until after the Quiet Isle, tbh. Too much of a drunk.

As a lover, he'd probably start out meh, and quickly move to awesome. I'd imagine he's been, uh, blessed by the gods in the equipment department, so that would work in his favor.

Again, as a husband...no fucking way, until post-Quiet Isle, IMO. He'd be a wreck, and it wouldn't be pretty. Afterward QI, though, I want to believe he'd still be badass, but also more stable. I think he'd be super tender w/Sansa, and would probably be an adorable dad, although maybe a little gruff and scary.

And Westerosi bedding ceremony?! LOLOLOL! I definitely can't see that happening...other men taking his little bird's clothes off? Bloodbath. And I'd freaking love it, tbh.

And what women (in canon, cause let's be honest, we all would...) would dare take his clothes off? Maybe Arya, though she'd be more likely stick him with the pointy end of Needle ;)

Now that I've over-analyzed (and bumped the thread, yay!), what does anyone else think?

Hehehehe :)

I guess it all comes down to what we look for in these types... But think about it... Sandor kinda fits all three.. He'd make a bad ass boyfriend cause no one could mess around you.. yes there's the drunk thing but that could be sorted :)

He'd actually be a cool husband, cause he would have a steady job, either as a knight or laborer. Plus he's emotional and caring when he wants to be.

And lover - well need we say more :) hot body, hot temper!

As much as my board name indicates my affection for Hodor, I have no hesitation at all in adding my name to the list of those who adore the Big Dog.

No doubt he'd be hotter than Seven Hells as a lover, and a passionate and dutiful (if somewhat stifling) boyfriend, but I don't see him as husband material. That said, anytime he wants his belly rubbed or his ears scratched, I'd happily roll over and possibly even beg to attend to him.

No doubt he'd be hotter than Seven Hells as a lover, and a passionate and dutiful (if somewhat stifling) boyfriend

He WOULD be the best BF. Sure, he would piss you off all the time, but then he would make up for it somehow (saving you from something). Oh and the passion...if he and Sansa end up together, I'm sure he would be forever devoted to her. Of course, he wouldn't lose his personality...no,no,no that's the best part. ;)

Wow Hodor's Honey-Pie, you've succeeded in making me do this: :blush:

One of the things that attracted me to Sandor was how BIG he is. I love tall men, and the fact he was just a vessel of hot blood... well let's just say I probably wouldn't leave his bed unsatisfied. ;)

Wow Hodor's Honey-Pie, you've succeeded in making me do this: :blush:

One of the things that attracted me to Sandor was hoe BIG he is. I love tall men, and the fact he was just a vessel of hot blood... well let's just say I probably wouldn't leave his bed unsatisfied. ;)

Nope and we already know how good he is at following orders ;)

Archived