Ernest Cline, Ready Player One

dangoodman

You might, but I tend to think of "best" as being something that will be remembered years from now, that's all. Besides, I hate bacon and I hate cheeseburgers in real life :P

Ok folks, keep that in mind when Larry speaks.... he admits to having shitty taste! :P

MODS, I understand that you like to combine threads, even when they are blog advertisements, but can we give the author his actual name so folks can buy the book, please?

Also, since my initial post was removed, let me say this is the best Science Fiction novel of the year, easily.

This is my favorite sf novel in years, and i have read some pretty good ones lately, like Old Man's war. Fun and nostalgic, i helps to be geek of 80's. Indeed, 'unputdownable' (Great word).

Ok folks, keep that in mind when Larry speaks.... he admits to having shitty taste! :P

No, more like my stomach is upset by both pork and dairy products :P

This book was a pretty fun read and left me smiling after I finished it, but I would not place it among my favorite releases of the year. My problem with the book was the real life segments, which were so dull that I struggled against just giving up on the book as the main character went through the motions of everyday life. These segments became more interesting near the end, when things started happening during them, but that was far too late. It was a good book and an enjoyable read, but it is unlikely to stick with me and I doubt I'll read it again. As for it being the best SF of the year, I would have agreed to that notion had I not finished Leviathan Wakes a couple weeks back.

Finished the book, quick paced and entertaining romp through the a virtual reality world.. By about first 1/3rd of the book one can figure out how its going to end, and that any time character gets into any kind of trouble they'll just "uplevel" once more with another magic artifact, but the pace was fast and book wasn't overly long.. Another author could probably tried spinning the whole arc into a trilogy, so big respect to the author for burning through his universe from start-to-finish in one sitting, which is a rarity these days.

I could not help but feel that the book could have been so much more without so much gaming and MMO references. I never played WoW so probably missed half the references to it other then obvious ones like players having 99 levels and and all the arcade and japanese references whooshed over my head also, even tho I'm a programmer by trade.

The book that "Ready Player One" is most similar too is probably "Implied Spaces" by Walter Jon Williams.. Lots of flashy virtual reality over the top action, with "its inside a game silly!" kind of tone.

This book was a pretty fun read and left me smiling after I finished it, but I would not place it among my favorite releases of the year. My problem with the book was the real life segments, which were so dull that I struggled against just giving up on the book as the main character went through the motions of everyday life. These segments became more interesting near the end, when things started happening during them, but that was far too late. It was a good book and an enjoyable read, but it is unlikely to stick with me and I doubt I'll read it again. As for it being the best SF of the year, I would have agreed to that notion had I not finished Leviathan Wakes a couple weeks back.

leviathan wakes is another i really need to read. i'm woefully behind. pertinent to this post, though, the quantum thief is my favorite from this year.

(Okay, I haven't read it, but now I will, but...) Ready Player One does sound a bit underwhelming, and Leviathan Wakes I largely liked, but in a 'that made time pass mostly unboringly' sort of way. Theres really no impressive recent SF? (Gods War, Quantum Thief and Anathem all seem to be 2010.) come on, there must be something....

Ok, I really should reserve judgment until i've read it, and will therefore stop talking about RPO specifically. However, if we get to the end of the year and the #2 SF book (after RPO) is going to be Leviathan Wakes, i'll be sad. I have nothing against fun and think it can be a totally integral part of awesomely impressive SF (Quantum Thief is tons of fun and God's War is mainly about stuff blowing up, and I was incredibly impressed by both,) but Leaviathan Wakes isn't it, and I apparently can't think of any SF books this year of that caliber.

Well, there is REAMDE, and Vernor Vinge has a book on the horizon.

Also, When She Woke by Hillary Jordan. I am currently digesting it. I think that if I did not hate Hawthorne so much, this would be a 'favorite book.'

In fact, this is to The Scarlet Letter what Hyperion is to The Canterbury Tales.

(Okay, I haven't read it, but now I will, but...) Ready Player One does sound a bit underwhelming, and Leviathan Wakes I largely liked, but in a 'that made time pass mostly unboringly' sort of way. Theres really no impressive recent SF? (Gods War, Quantum Thief and Anathem all seem to be 2010.) come on, there must be something....

Hurley's Infidel comes out this month, I believe. I read the review copy Night Shade sent me a couple of days ago and found it to be superior to God's War, if that helps in any way.

Impressive books from this year? I haven't read much yet, but there are a few not mentioned yet that might be meaty.

There was Embassytown by China Mieville, The Kings of Eternity by Eric Brown is supposed to be interesting, and there is the new Greg Egan that apparently suffers both from being a Greg Egan novel and a first book in a trilogy.

The most entertaining release this year I did read in SF might be the Crysis 2 novelization by Peter Watts...

Ok, I really should reserve judgment until i've read it, and will therefore stop talking about RPO specifically. However, if we get to the end of the year and the #2 SF book (after RPO) is going to be Leviathan Wakes, i'll be sad. I have nothing against fun and think it can be a totally integral part of awesomely impressive SF (Quantum Thief is tons of fun and God's War is mainly about stuff blowing up, and I was incredibly impressed by both,) but Leaviathan Wakes isn't it, and I apparently can't think of any SF books this year of that caliber.

As far as I know, God's War is a 2011 release... January of this year, no? So is Quantum Thief, at least in the U.S. Leviathan Wakes is quite fun, but it's more of a romp than thinking man's SF - albeit very good at what is does. My top 2011 SF novel so far is Germline from T.C. McCarthy. I thought it was awesome - dark as shit, but awesome. Fuzzy Nation was quite good too, but since it's basically a rewrite of another novel it's hard to really call it a great one. I also just finished Seed from Rob Ziegler, another Night Shade 2011 debut. It's sort of like "what's going on in America" response to Wind-Up Girl and I'd put Seed on par with it.

For my top 5 SF novels this year I'd probably go:

Germline

God's War/Infidel (is this really SF though? It's just as close to second world fantasy... hard to call... not that it matters)

Ready Player One

Quantum Thief

Seed

Archived