Unanswered questions at the end of A Feast for Crows (spoilers if you haven't finished the book)

Arya79

Here are my theories:

Where is Benjen Stark?

I have the feeling Benjen is the 'black hands' who sought out Bran north of the wall. Where he is taking him, however..

-Will any of the Starks ever reunite?

Absolutely. It's just a matter of when and how.

-Will we see Syrio again? (My feeling in this series is that if they don't describe the death, it may not have happened)

Syrio = Jaquen = the stranger in the alley = Pate

I beleieve he is taking on many guises to achive some yet unknown goal.

Where is Varys?

I have a sneaking suspicion that he has the same talent as Jaquen so he could be anyone or anywhere.

-Is Arya really blind?

No. Mention was made of a boy acolite who had learned to use his senses to detect things around him (including burnt out candles). By killing the crow she showed knowledge that all men must pay their debts and has advanced to the next level of training.

-Will Arya and Nymeria reunite?

Maybe. Whether it is Arya or another warg, however (maybe Bran/ Rickon?) it will be awesome when it happens since Nymeria has formed an army of wolves that do not fear man. Hints at the rise of House Stark maybe?

-Is the Hound alive or undead?

Sandor as 'The Hound' is dead, but he is still alive. I believe he was the 'lame' man on the hill who was digging a grave as Brienne was traveling through.

It's not the only hint, I'm not sure if we are allowed to link to an offsite here but you can google "Are Loras and Renly gay?" and click on the first link that appears. :)

Wow Moe, what a solid resource on the topic! Renly's "Rainbow Guard"? How did I miss that? It seems clear that Martin is making the nature of their relationship cleverly obvious, though HBO approached the subject far more directly. Thanks for the info!

I was also excited to put two and two together with Nymeria leading the wolf pack. Has Arya been running the show through her wolf dreams here and possibly forgetting about it? The Starklings all seem to remember their warg sessions but who knows... As far as the two reuniting and Stark House rising again, I would love to see it happen but Martin however seems to avoid reunions (and redemption for that matter) at all costs.

Wow Moe, what a solid resource on the topic! Renly's "Rainbow Guard"? How did I miss that? It seems clear that Martin is making the nature of their relationship cleverly obvious, though HBO approached the subject far more directly. Thanks for the info!

You're welcome :) Yes, I prefer GRRM's subtlety over HBO's in-your-face portrayal of their sexuality and relationship,

• 4 weeks later...

I have finished the first five books and am waiting rather impatiently on the next two. I hope I live long enough!! Anyway....am I the only one, or are there others of you who feel like they really need to go back to G.O.T. and start reading them all over. I have watched the entire first season on HBO at least a dozen times and come away with something new each time. Maybe my comprehension isn't what it used to be, but was just wondering if anyone else was thinking the same!!

WINTER IS COMING!!!

What is under Euron Greyjoy's left eyepatch? I replied to a thread today on this in the General Forum today. I think it's the crowned red eye with the black pupil carried by 2 crows which he uses on his personal banner. Hence his nickname Crow's Eye. What I want to know is if that eye is magical in any way?

Will Gilly's baby survive and will they ever be reunited?

I agree with those who think Sandor is still alive but if so, why did the priest lie and say The Hound died in his arms?

When Arya kills Dareon-I'm confused as to why she confesses this to the kindly man and uses they name of Arya Stark when she's supposed to have no identity? Is she trying to defy him or what?

I agree with those who think Sandor is still alive but if so, why did the priest lie and say The Hound died in his arms?

'The Hound' is what people called Sandor, it was a persona he built up for himself: the Lannister's dog, vicious but loyal. If that's a part of Sandor that he's left behind it isn't a lie to say it's dead.

IIRC, he says "the Hound" died not Sandor Clegane. So I think what he is saying is that the dog in Sandor died, or basically "the tortured" soul. I could be wrong but that's how I interpret it.

When Arya kills Dareon-I'm confused as to why she confesses this to the kindly man and uses they name of Arya Stark when she's supposed to have no identity? Is she trying to defy him or what?

Okay, again this is my interpretation, but I think that when she killed Dareon, she killed him as Arya Stark not Cat of the Cannals. That is what the Starks do with deserters from the Wall. They are the Wardens of the north and that is what she has been taught by her father. So I think Arya Stark made an appearance and took care of matters as the only Stark present in Braavos she had a duty to do and she did it. Once she does the deed, she realizes that she still has an identity and confesses to the kindly man, I don't think she was trying to defy him but instead she was coming clean. Every time she said she was "no one", the kindly man called her a liar. So I think she is accepting that she is actually someone, hence her confession. :dunno:

'The Hound' is what people called Sandor, it was a persona he built up for himself: the Lannister's dog, vicious but loyal. If that's a part of Sandor that he's left behind it isn't a lie to say it's dead.

We posted at the same time :)...it's good to see I got it right.

After finishing AFFC, one thing is still troubling me... Is Davos Seaworth really dead?

I refuse to believe that.

And by the way, don't know about you guys, but I keep having the feeling that the events happening in Dorne are getting very, very interesting.

Oh and other thing, Tom Sevenstrings in Riverrun? I wonder what he's up to...

I agree that Davos is alive, It was mentioned earlier that GRRM says in his notes at the end of the book that Davos will be in the next one.

Also wondering if Podrick is still alive-did Brienne's last word save him in time.

Also Lady Stoneheart-she seems to have inherited some parts of Cat such as her desire for revenge-wondering if she inherited any of the softer parts of Cat such as her love for her children? Is she capable of kindness?

Thanks to those who answered my questions above on Arya and Sandor-great answers.

Hopefully Pod is still alive. As for Brienne, let her hang.

Aw come one Brinne is a good character lol. Pod is a good character too but he can't be in the story without someone to squire for. Ser, .... I mean my Lady I can't have seen that for the last time. Thats classic!

How is it possible not to like Brienne? Or to not even feel sorry for her? I mean, I really relate to her, especially in the looks matter, and all de ackwardry around men... so maybe that is that, that's the reason i like her so much and really don't mind that some o her POVs were a little boring... and there are some great passages of her as well. Until came Biter and ... She never deserved such a thing, but GRRM is like that, and when we are cheering for some happy times for our favorites, they get killed, injured, blind, or loses someone dear... and we get angry, i even put the book down sometimes because i couldn't take... but thats exactly why the saga is so fantastic.

Anyway, I choose to believe that Brienne and little Pod survive. We grew fond of him little by little, killing him won't show no purpose except to demonstrate Undead Catelyn's stone heart. And liking the deaths or not, all of them had their purposes in what concerns the devolpment of the story.

• 2 weeks later...
But the septa's "inspected" her, they said she couldn't be a maiden so I think that's true enough at least.

Maybe so. But there was a mention earlier in the book that highborn girls seldom keep their maidenheads intact due to riding horses. I guess they don't ride side-saddle in Westeros.

Archived